And we're back!

Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monoriu

Majority of my furniture is from IKEA. 

Sheilbh

Some polling in the Sunday Times today which is fairly striking. People think the government was badly prepared and locked down too late but are handling the crisis well, and then this :blink: :o :weep:

Combined with the 200,000 people snitching on their neighbours I swear there's a chunk of people in the UK who are kind of enjoying this :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

There's a certain allure to the whole stiff upper lip in the face of adversity?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 03, 2020, 08:04:39 AM
Some polling in the Sunday Times today which is fairly striking. People think the government was badly prepared and locked down too late but are handling the crisis well, and then this :blink: :o :weep:

Combined with the 200,000 people snitching on their neighbours I swear there's a chunk of people in the UK who are kind of enjoying this :mellow:

I think people are just being very realistic rather than hopeful for hopefulness's sake.

On the snitching, I think it's largely justified as a proportion of the people don't give a toss about their, by now very real responsiblities towwards others.   :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josquius

80% pay for doing nothing?
Weekly semi-mandatory patriotism minutes?
'Rich' (anyone who goes abroad regularly) people suffering?
Yep.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Somebody is really loimsing patience with the lockdown  :lol:

To be fair if I have been already isolated for two months prior I would probably also start to crack up a bit.

I think not going on a holiday for at least a year is entirely realistic. As fun as they are, most holidays don't worth the risk of the serious inconvenience of catching Covid-19

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on May 03, 2020, 08:48:09 AM
Somebody is really loimsing patience with the lockdown  :lol:

To be fair if I have been already isolated for two months prior I would probably also start to crack up a bit.
:lol: Maybe. I mean I think we should have lockdown until there's measures in place to leave lockdown - it's not an actual solution on its own, but it buys time to implement track-and-trace properly and national testing.

And I just think there's a mean authoritarian streak in the English population that has always wanted to be policing other people for their decisions/behaviour without knowing anything and wanted to snitch on their neighbours that is thrilled at the opportunity. Plus, as Syt says, there's a bit that sort of enjoys getting to play at blitz spirit/suffering for a wider cause.

QuoteI think not going on a holiday for at least a year is entirely realistic. As fun as they are, most holidays don't worth the risk of the serious inconvenience of catching Covid-19
Fuck - aside from pubs and restaurants going on holiday is the thing I miss most and the second it is possible to anywhere I will be doing it :lol:

But it is really striking there was international poll about this: UK, US, Germany and Sweden. The UK expects this will have a far bigger impact than other countries:

And UK is extremely cautious about lifting lockdown:
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

I mean it's time you admit: the average opinion is right, the government did mess up the early phase.

And, some countries might be lifting the lockdown but they also started the lockdown 1-2-3 weeks ahead of us. Makes sense if we are in late. At least we can see how it works out for them.

I agree there could be some plans published but maybe people will start going out immediately once they know a timeline.

The Brain

Striking how?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

viper37

Georges Laracque (former NHL) describing his symptoms of Covid-19.  English about halfway through, around 3:55-4:00.

https://www.facebook.com/glaraque/videos/10158082848371438/
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: mongers on May 03, 2020, 08:38:21 AM

I think people are just being very realistic rather than hopeful for hopefulness's sake.

On the snitching, I think it's largely justified as a proportion of the people don't give a toss about their, by now very real responsiblities towwards others.   :bowler:

Snitches get stitches.  :sleep:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Legbiter

The control measures implemented during the last outbreak of bubonic plague in Europe were rather draconian.  :menace:

QuoteIn 1720, Yersinia pestis arrived at the port of Marseille from the Levant upon the merchant ship Grand-Saint-Antoine. The vessel had departed from Sidon in Lebanon, having previously called at Smyrna, Tripoli, and plague-ridden Cyprus. A Turkish passenger was the first to be infected and soon died, followed by several crew members and the ship's surgeon. The ship was refused entry to the port of Livorno.

When it arrived at Marseille, it was promptly placed under quarantine in the lazaret by the port authorities. Due largely to Marseille's monopoly on French trade with the Levant, this important port had a large stock of imported goods in warehouses. It was also expanding its trade with other areas of the Middle East and emerging markets in the New World. Powerful city merchants wanted the silk and cotton cargo of the ship for the great medieval fair at Beaucaire and pressured authorities to lift the quarantine.

A few days later, the disease broke out in the city. Hospitals were quickly overwhelmed, and residents panicked, driving the sick from their homes and out of the city. Mass graves were dug but were quickly filled. Eventually the number of dead overcame city public health efforts, until thousands of corpses lay scattered and in piles around the city.

Attempts to stop the spread of plague included an Act of the Parlement of Aix that levied the death penalty for any communication between Marseille and the rest of Provence. To enforce this separation, a plague wall, or mur de la peste, was erected across the countryside. The wall was built of dry stone, 2 m high and 70 cm thick, with guard posts set back from the wall. Remains of the wall can still be seen in different parts of the Plateau de Vaucluse

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Plague_of_Marseille
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

The Brain

A wall of pasta, if I understand correctly. Sadly I don't think it would last long in today's society.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

Someone posted a link to the city chronicle of Stettin of the 1830s from a Cholera outbreak. People were told to stay home etc. Lots of people lost their livelihood, people bought into rumors that the whole thing was a plan to eradicate the lower classes, and there were protests to reopen everything.

Plus ça change and all that.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.