And we're back!

Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 17, 2020, 12:29:58 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 17, 2020, 12:13:47 PM
Oh, and for the Americans getting a Trump corona check--if you don't want to have to pay it back, make sure you change your withholding so you don't get a tax return next year.

That's a misconception, based on the fact that people who qualified for a certain amount based on their 2018 reported income, will have some deducted later if they qualify for a lower amount based on their 2109 reported income.

Not sure if typo.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

Quote from: Razgovory on April 16, 2020, 07:56:04 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 16, 2020, 01:28:33 PM

The opposite seems to be happening in the US. If you get stabbed in the face and bleed out, but test positive for the virus, your death will be added to the tally for Xijinpingwinniethepoohwuhanflu.

You have proof of this?

Again, where are you hearing this?  What evidence do you have?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on April 17, 2020, 02:22:57 AM
The suggestion is that rather than, say, 100,000 deaths in the USA, the country would have 103,000 deaths and the youth would continue to receive an education. If that is what would happen then it would almost certainly be an acceptable tradeoff.

I'm fairly sure that suspending education for 1-2 years, in a country of 330m people, would have far worse consequences than 3000 deaths.......but modelling those consequences would be exceedingly difficult.

But he didn't say an increase of 2-3% of total mortality, he said a total morality of 2-3%
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Threviel

celedhring

Fireworks during the 20 o'clock clapping  :lol:

This escalated quickly.

MadImmortalMan

Texas schools will not open this year. I guess the kids will have to learn about creationism at home.  :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Sheilbh

Quote from: celedhring on April 17, 2020, 01:03:15 PM
Fireworks during the 20 o'clock clapping  :lol:

This escalated quickly.
The lads near me with fireworks have run out :(

I assume they have (incorrectly) decided that's not an essential shopping trip.
Let's bomb Russia!

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 17, 2020, 01:05:19 PM
Texas schools will not open this year. I guess the kids will have to learn about creationism at home.  :P

That was bigoted and sarcastic. I shouldn't have posted it. Bad MIM.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

merithyn

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 16, 2020, 09:45:46 PM
Only about a couple million school kids dead in the US alone.  The conservative circle jerk of death just keeps getting worse.  Fuck you guys are morons.

I'd like to point out that most of us know this if fucking stupid.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

DGuller

Quote from: merithyn on April 17, 2020, 04:20:28 PM
Only about a couple million school kids dead in the US alone.  The conservative circle jerk of death just keeps getting worse.  Fuck you guys are morons.

But I'd also point out that there is no way he was talking about 10 million people.  I see news source like CBS uncritically reporting that he advocated killing 2% of the US population, and frankly that's just a maddening misrepresentation, the kind that destroys credibility of the media.  Sanjay Gupta had the intellectually honest take: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=7&v=8QNT9sSMbXw&feature=emb_logo.

merithyn

Quote from: PDH on April 17, 2020, 09:37:50 AM
I feel sorry for that Chinese guy who came upon those 1290 new corpses.

:lol:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

alfred russel

Quote from: DGuller on April 17, 2020, 04:45:52 PM

But I'd also point out that there is no way he was talking about 10 million people.  I see news source like CBS uncritically reporting that he advocated killing 2% of the US population, and frankly that's just a maddening misrepresentation, the kind that destroys credibility of the media.  Sanjay Gupta had the intellectually honest take: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=7&v=8QNT9sSMbXw&feature=emb_logo.

The mathematically illiterate yellow press leading a mob of people determined to be terrified and outraged.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

alfred russel

Denmark is reopening some schools; Iceland and Sweden didn't shut them all down in the first place.

Something like 32 of the 50 states have less death rate as a percent of the population as Iceland and Sweden. Maybe those countries are making a mistake, but arguing that some schools should reopen shouldn't be beyond the acceptable limits of debate. The closemindedness of the American mind is a problem that extends far beyond Trumpland.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014