Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Threviel

Quote from: mongers on April 17, 2020, 07:37:08 AM
Quote from: Threviel on April 17, 2020, 07:34:20 AM
Quote from: Zoupa on April 17, 2020, 07:30:21 AM
Belgium has a population density 15 times higher than Sweden.

Yes, and less than the Netherlands and Israel, a third denser than the UK.

Threviel, it's really best to look at the UK as three seperate counties, once you've split off Scotlands (highland!) and NI, England and Wales have density the same as the Netherlands.

Dang, google tricked me, I googled for Englands numbers but was given the UK's. I will better myself  :Embarrass:

So, England is denser.

celedhring

DGuller

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 17, 2020, 07:32:54 AM
Quote from: DGuller on April 17, 2020, 07:22:09 AM
I don't think your interpretation makes any sense.  Assuming that he meant that the disease would become 67% more fatal per case because of children going back to school is the most absurd misinterpretation of that figure I have read anywhere.

And actually assuming a current fatality rate in the US of only 3% is too low.  It turns out it is currently 4.3 % and likely to rise as the data comes in.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/17/us/why-epidemiologists-still-dont-know-the-death-rate-for-covid-19.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage
First of all, you have clearly not read the article you cited, because only one small fact plucked out of context from it could lead you to such a conclusion.  Second of all, what does this have to do with what you're responding to?

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Threviel on April 17, 2020, 07:34:20 AM
Quote from: Zoupa on April 17, 2020, 07:30:21 AM
Belgium has a population density 15 times higher than Sweden.

Yes, and less than the Netherlands and Israel, a third denser than the UK.

Edit: And not everything needs to be compared to Sweden, that would be like comparing all cars with Rolls-Royce. Useful sometimes, but mostly not.  :P

More like comparing them to a Saab.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

alfred russel

Jesus, the numeracy demonstrated here...

Quote188 countries have implemented country-wide school closures, but a modelling study by Ferguson and colleagues concluded that in the UK, school closures alone will reduce COVID-19 deaths by only 2–4%.

As was posted upthread, the Dr. Oz referenced Lancet statement.

The US is projected to have 100k-240k deaths. Lets use the midpoint of 170k. Lets also take the midpoint of the 2-4% reduction, and say schools reduce deaths by 3%.

The tradeoff Dr. Oz is mentioning is about 5k US deaths for reopening schools.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Maladict

Quote from: mongers on April 17, 2020, 07:33:02 AM
Quote from: Threviel on April 17, 2020, 07:24:30 AM
What's the deal with Belgium? Almost 500 dead per million, looks worse than Spain and Italy.

Yes, I noticed that a few days ago and meant to post about it.

Is it by far the worst European country, around 5,000 dead for 10 million population, perhaps a combination of acting late, social deprivation and intergenerational families/customs?

Guys, it's Belgium.

alfred russel

Quote from: Threviel on April 17, 2020, 07:24:30 AM
What's the deal with Belgium? Almost 500 dead per million, looks worse than Spain and Italy.

When it came time to make tough decisions on coronavirus, they waffled.  :(
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

The Brain

But... it has the purchasing power of two nation states. :unsure:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

PDH

I feel sorry for that Chinese guy who came upon those 1290 new corpses.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Maladict

After taking the government's free money handout that was based on the understanding companies would not have to lay off employees, KLM is laying off thousands of employees. Given the state of the airlines that may have been unavoidable. Now, after then revoking all employees' 2019 profit share, KLM's CEO has decided he needs to have his bonus cap raised.
What is it with these large companies?

MadImmortalMan

No cash flow but expenses keep rolling. They just can't take the inactivity.

I'm guessing a lot of companies will forfeit the benefits of those "don't fire your employees" programs because they don't address the actual problem.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

MadImmortalMan

Oh, and for the Americans getting a Trump corona check--if you don't want to have to pay it back, make sure you change your withholding so you don't get a tax return next year.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Habbaku

I see no indication that the stimulus payments will have to be repaid.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Admiral Yi

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 17, 2020, 12:13:47 PM
Oh, and for the Americans getting a Trump corona check--if you don't want to have to pay it back, make sure you change your withholding so you don't get a tax return next year.

That's a misconception, based on the fact that people who qualified for a certain amount based on their 2018 reported income, will have some deducted later if they qualify for a lower amount based on their 2109 reported income.