Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liep

Quote from: Threviel on April 11, 2020, 12:25:56 PM
Sweden 17, Denmark 13.

They are, unfortunately, gaining on us.

I'm going to be slightly bitter if we end up even. I mean, better safe than sorry but still. :P
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Zoupa

God bless bored sports commentators and their very good dogs:

https://youtu.be/f2BZNowCXws

https://youtu.be/vPhpJuraz14

Football fans, please watch this  :lol:

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Threviel

Quote from: Liep on April 11, 2020, 01:44:01 PM
Quote from: Threviel on April 11, 2020, 12:25:56 PM
Sweden 17, Denmark 13.

They are, unfortunately, gaining on us.

I'm going to be slightly bitter if we end up even. I mean, better safe than sorry but still. :P

Swedish numbers are not really updated, Swedish CDC are very clear that these are untrustworthy weekend numbers, will be correctly updated by Tuesday.

Danish numbers are in line with their previous reports. Presumably Denmark keeps up their government statistics over the weekend.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Zoupa on April 11, 2020, 01:30:24 PM
We do love our paperwork.

This is true, but now you can show your the derogation on your cell phone, so no more trees wasted!

grumbler

Quote from: Zoupa on April 11, 2020, 01:45:03 PM
God bless bored sports commentators and their very good dogs:

https://youtu.be/f2BZNowCXws

https://youtu.be/vPhpJuraz14

Football fans, please watch this  :lol:

Brilliant stuff.  I'm passing this on.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

garbon

I like that the home secretary reappeared to say there have been 300 thousand 34 974 thousand tests.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

Quote from: garbon on April 11, 2020, 05:02:40 PM
I like that the home secretary reappeared to say there have been 300 thousand 34 974 thousand tests.
Her briefing pissed me off on so many levels. In terms of the press (this is why I still think lobby/political correspondents should be supporting health/sceince correspondents, not the other way round) - I want Boris Johnson to fully recover - I don't particularly care beyond that about all of these questions that I'm sure are thrilling for Westminster. Also given the Home Secretary's making announcements about domestic violence, I feel like that deserves at least one follow on question from one of the seven (male) journalists - though clearly they disagree.

Also her PPE answer had my blood boiling - nothing will get me angry like a "I'm sorry if you feel that" apology <_<
Let's bomb Russia!

Agelastus

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 11, 2020, 05:42:53 PM
Also her PPE answer had my blood boiling - nothing will get me angry like a "I'm sorry if you feel that" apology <_<

She's someone who should never have been given a senior role in the first place, but it's difficult to see how she could do anything else.

(a) She's not the health secretary; ministerial apologies should be for failings in their own department.

(b) She's not the PM; unless he's authorised it (which is unlikely in the current circumstances) she would have been making policy by apologising for the government.

She was on a sticky wicket with that question whatever she did. So she tried the non-apology response and did it poorly.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Sheilbh

Quote from: Agelastus on April 11, 2020, 05:56:05 PM
She's someone who should never have been given a senior role in the first place
Agreed. Call me old-fashioned but I think if you have to resign from the cabinet because you get caught having unauthorised meetings with a foreign government, without the knowledge or authorisation of the Prime Minister, then there probably shouldn't be a way back in to another cabinet role <_<

Quote(a) She's not the health secretary; ministerial apologies should be for failings in their own department.

(b) She's not the PM; unless he's authorised it (which is unlikely in the current circumstances) she would have been making policy by apologising for the government.

She was on a sticky wicket with that question whatever she did. So she tried the non-apology response and did it poorly.
This is fair, but they must know that question is (rightly) going to come up every briefing. I think she was put up because all of the ministers so far (and there's been quite a number: Johnson, Raab, Sunak, Hancock, Gove, Sharma, Eustice) have been men and she's the most senior woman cabinet minister. Given the importance/pressures on the benefits system I actually think Therese Coffey would probably have more to say that's relevant right now.

Edit: By the by, the Queen's released an Easter audio message which apparently is something she's never done before:
https://twitter.com/RoyalFamily/status/1249019411811520512?s=20
Let's bomb Russia!

crazy canuck

Alberta is sending excess masks to BC and other provinces.  BC might be in a position to start loosening restrictions in three weeks if current trends continue.  One of the first things to be brought back will be elective surgeries.  Spare temp hospital beds will be kept just in case.

Despite a beautiful long weekend it looks like most are abiding by the restrictions.

Barrister

Queen's Easter message is again wonderfully done.

"Again" not that she's ever done one before, but in comparison to her first Covid-19 speech.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 11, 2020, 06:34:32 PM
Alberta is sending excess masks to BC and other provinces.  BC might be in a position to start loosening restrictions in three weeks if current trends continue.  One of the first things to be brought back will be elective surgeries.  Spare temp hospital beds will be kept just in case.

Despite a beautiful long weekend it looks like most are abiding by the restrictions.

Cool story (with only a modest amount of back-patting) on how Alberta prepared for the pandemic, such that we are shipping extra supplies to other provinces:

https://edmontonjournal.com/opinion/columnists/david-staples-masterminds-behind-albertas-medical-supplies-surge-to-meet-covid-19-crisis/
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.