News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Jesus, desperate scenes from Ecuador shown on last nights Ch4 News, officially only around 200 have so far died. Yet in the 2nd city, there are long queues of family vehicle with coffins outside cemeteries, the morgue is overflowing with fully body bags and corpses in bags are being left outside in the streets for days or just completely abandoned.  :(

Some of the hospitals are overwhelmed and the inadequate health system seems to be breaking apart, dozens of nurses dying, others just resigning from what otherwise be a death sentence.

Unfortunate no streaming or video link yet for last nights report. I'll look again later.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tyr on April 11, 2020, 11:32:41 AM
How true is this in the UK?
I'd thought young black guys getting hastled was a particularly American phenomena. Over here it far more tends to be Asians getting hastled.
It really does read like an article from the US.
It's always been true in the UK whehter it was the sus law or more up to date stop and search powers. All the stats in the article are related to the UK.

I feel like the biggest difference with the US is the general lack of guns, but I'm sure there are others.
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Quote from: Legbiter on April 11, 2020, 11:41:16 AM
Quote from: mongers on April 11, 2020, 11:26:44 AMYeah and that ruddy great mote of yours helps and have you patrols of converted trawlers yet?  :P

:lol:

I wonder how many cases the Orkneys and Shetlands have and if there's fewer than on the mainland?
Orkney and the Western Isles have had about 5 cases each. Shetland has had 43 which is really odd.

Edit: One death in Shetland :(
Let's bomb Russia!

Legbiter

Quote from: mongers on April 11, 2020, 11:42:50 AM
Jesus, desperate scenes from Ecuador shown on last nights Ch4 News, officially only around 200 have so far died.

Yeah the official numbers in many countries are a joke. It's only counted in Ecuador it seems if you drop dead in a Quito hospital.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Legbiter

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 11, 2020, 11:45:33 AMOrkney and the Western Isles have had about 5 cases each. Shetland has had 43 which is really odd.

Yeah all you need is one superspreader. A brother of a friend of mine was infected in early March along with everyone in a group of nine that went to a summer cottage. All because one in the group was infected but asymptomatic. He's recovered now but he gets winded just walking up a flight of stairs.

Admiral Yi

Leg, are you guys going through the phone book, testing every single person, or is it only only high risk types?  And do they give any type of certificate out saying you're clean?

Liep

One of the traffic managers at the control tower has been tested positive for corona, no response from management though. I would've thought that they would ask the ones who sat closest to him to go into quarantine but it's only if they show symptoms.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

mongers

Quote from: Liep on April 11, 2020, 12:04:50 PM
One of the traffic managers at the control tower has been tested positive for corona, no response from management though. I would've thought that they would ask the ones who sat closest to him to go into quarantine but it's only if they show symptoms.

Damn, Liep that's inadequate, but then again what can one expect from not at risk higher management?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Tamas

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 11, 2020, 11:43:34 AM
Quote from: Tyr on April 11, 2020, 11:32:41 AM
How true is this in the UK?
I'd thought young black guys getting hastled was a particularly American phenomena. Over here it far more tends to be Asians getting hastled.
It really does read like an article from the US.
It's always been true in the UK whehter it was the sus law or more up to date stop and search powers. All the stats in the article are related to the UK.

I feel like the biggest difference with the US is the general lack of guns, but I'm sure there are others.

Yeah I was thinking, either I wasn't paying attention, or there's far more "mainstream" upset noises over the current police "overreach" than about stop and search, and you could argue there are more justification to stop somebody for going against a spirit of a law, than just because he  looks like a potential troublemaker.

Legbiter

If you want to get tested in Reykjavík there's a drop-in facility a private biotech company is running that will do that. If you have any sort of symptoms you get tested in the parking lot of your local health clinic and are ordered into precautionary quarantine. Entire villages with confirmed cases have been tested and much stricter lockdowns imposed. We're also now doing nation-wide random testing to get an idea of the general spread of the virus. The oldies in retirement homes are in a bubble, only staff are allowed in the facility. There's a mobile phone app which tracks you 24/7 installed in many smart phones in the country. We'll start testing for antibodies if all goes well at the end of the month.

However around half of everyone who's been infected has no or very mild symptoms so it's a bitch to stamp out. All in all, the top-down political leadership here was atrocious in the beginning, only blind luck/divine providence prevented us from being completely blindsided. Ironically the US travel ban on China at the end of January was an immense help because most of the hordes of Chinese tourists we get fly in via the US and then often go on to Europe. Bought us invaluable time.

Legbiter

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 11, 2020, 11:45:33 AMOrkney and the Western Isles have had about 5 cases each. Shetland has had 43 which is really odd.

They'll be fine then. Presumably the elderly are locked down and everyone else is taking precautions.

Threviel

Sweden 17, Denmark 13.

They are, unfortunately, gaining on us.

Duque de Bragança

Horse troopers from the Garde Républicaine have been patrolling lately to enforce lockdown. Due to sunny weather for the Easter weekend, more will be needed actually.

Admiral Yi

That French idea of printing out a self certification of essential travel is pretty dorky.

Zoupa