Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

I do not believe the numbers posted by the Chinese government.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Sheilbh

Quote from: 11B4V on March 31, 2020, 05:44:05 PM
I do not believe the numbers posted by the Chinese government.
Yeah same - the last few days all new infections in China have been "foreigners" which is a shocker.
Let's bomb Russia!

alfred russel

Quote from: Razgovory on March 31, 2020, 05:04:55 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on March 31, 2020, 04:25:51 PM
There's a big concern here about rural areas and hospitals potentially being overwhlemed quickly because they're really not designed for ICU and this sort of situation. I imainge it's an even bigger issue in a country like the US (or Canada).

Yeah, it's scary.  There are two hospitals in my town, but out in the boondocks there is really poor coverage.  There is also a huge shortage of doctor in rural areas.  It's not a good situation at all.

I don't get it...at least here, hospitals aren't allowing any visitors. It doesn't really seem to matter where someone is treated--if I can't have visitors, why would I care? If there is a surplus of beds in the city, then put rural people on ambulances and move them to the city. If the opposite is the case, put urban people on ambulances and move them to rural areas. Most rural areas are within an hour or two of a decent sized city.

The problem seems to be that there isn't enough hospital capacity anywhere.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Josquius

Never mind their recent numbers, China  doesn't even make sense on that chart considering they've been dealing with it since last year.
██████
██████
██████

mongers

A star wars actor dies:

Coronavirus: Star Wars actor Andrew Jack dies aged 76

An actor and dialect coach who appeared in Star Wars and worked with A-list celebrities has died after contracting Covid-19, his agent has said.

Andrew Jack, 76, died in a Surrey hospital on Tuesday.

Agent Jill McCullough said she had been inundated with tributes to one of the acting world's "brightest and clearest voices".

She said Jack was unable to see his wife in his final days because she was quarantined in Australia.

His acting credits included The Last Jedi and the Force Awakens.

Full article here:
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-sussex-52111530
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Razgovory

I suspect that everyone's numbers are wrong, not out of malice but simply because people who die in their homes and are never tested.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Oexmelin

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 31, 2020, 05:34:59 PMSelfishness in the economic context generates pareto improvement.  I toil and labor to invent and produce the perfect Easter egg, people's lives are improved as a result, and I also reap monetary benefits.

Let's set aside for now the great captain of philanthropy who sets out to better the world one expensive Easter egg at a time.

Should, "in a time of deadly pandemic", pharmaceutical companies be complied to sell remedies at cost? Should there be a price cap?

Or, in a different situation, "it is expected that 0.02 people will live in squalor and destitution but it's very important to me to repossess that house and get exactly the golden Easter egg I want."
Que le grand cric me croque !

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Oexmelin on March 31, 2020, 05:16:13 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 31, 2020, 04:03:49 PM
Probably not, seeing as how I don't see the connection, but feel free to do so yourself.

Mostly that selfishness never seemed to bother you when it concerned the pursuit of greed, but now that it concerns health, you seem ready to unleash police forces against everyone.

Look at the glass as half full rather than half empty.  One out of two ain't bad.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

mongers

More on the increase in covid19 patients in UK hospitals. Today at total of 10,767 people with the virus we in English hospitals up from around 9,000 yesterday. 

That rate of increase broadly fits with a doubling from 4,500 to 9,000 over the weekend to Monday.:hmm:

The Minsky Moment

BTW the connection is that a bunch of state and national level governments are going to be hit hard fiscally on both ends.  Extraordinary fiscal measures will either be required or there will be the Mother of All Austerities at the end. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Iormlund

I'm assuming a fairly vigorous restart of the world economy by the time this is over. Else there will be blood on the streets.

mongers

Quote from: Iormlund on March 31, 2020, 06:28:38 PM
I'm assuming a fairly vigorous restart of the world economy by the time this is over. Else there will be blood on the streets.

Until the next virus?

Sheilbh

Quote from: mongers on March 31, 2020, 06:21:41 PM
More on the increase in covid19 patients in UK hospitals. Today at total of 10,767 people with the virus we in English hospitals up from around 9,000 yesterday. 

That rate of increase broadly fits with a doubling from 4,500 to 9,000 over the weekend to Monday.:hmm:
I mean a constant increase is difficult but far better than accelerating.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Oexmelin on March 31, 2020, 06:16:26 PM
Let's set aside for now the great captain of philanthropy who sets out to better the world one expensive Easter egg at a time.

Should, "in a time of deadly pandemic", pharmaceutical companies be complied to sell remedies at cost? Should there be a price cap?

Or, in a different situation, "it is expected that 0.02 people will live in squalor and destitution but it's very important to me to repossess that house and get exactly the golden Easter egg I want."

If you want to set aside the great captain of philanthropy we can because he has nothing to do with our discussion.  That still leaves us with my inventor, who was not operating out of philanthropy, but was motivated by profit.

I think a reasonable case can be made for pharma to produce cures at cost.  The same case can be made for drafting people on unemployment to go mop hospitals.  Everyone pitches in, everyone is compelled, not just "those guys over there."

Or, in a different situation, "it is expected that 0.02 mortgage lenders will live in squalor and destitution but it's very important for me to live in a house free of charge and get exactly the golden Easter egg I want."

I predict your next post will be the point when I am no longer able to follow your line of reasoning.

Oexmelin

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 31, 2020, 06:35:31 PM
Or, in a different situation, "it is expected that 0.02 mortgage lenders will live in squalor and destitution but it's very important for me to live in a house free of charge and get exactly the golden Easter egg I want."

I predict your next post will be the point when I am no longer able to follow your line of reasoning.

How many mortgage lenders can reasonably be expected to live in squalor and destitution?
Que le grand cric me croque !