Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

My understanding is that while they've been able to detect the virus on stand-alone surfaces for up to several days, it's no longer a live virus.

The live virus only survives outside of a host for a few hours at most.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Savonarola

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

alfred russel

Quote from: Barrister on March 31, 2020, 02:49:48 PM
My understanding is that while they've been able to detect the virus on stand-alone surfaces for up to several days, it's no longer a live virus.

The live virus only survives outside of a host for a few hours at most.

The point isn't that the nuts in a snickers bar are a vector of transmission. The point is that the supply chain for even simple everyday essential products (like snickers bars) involve a myriad of human touch points across rural communities and there is no way to isolate rural communities from this.

Just like the country wasn't saved through a travel ban with China.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Josquius

The name of the game isn't to create an absolutely perfect seal which locks off all chance of transmission. It's to cut down touch points as much as possible and to slow the spread ever more until we can get it below 1.0 infections per infectee.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Oexmelin on March 31, 2020, 11:38:27 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 31, 2020, 10:26:00 AM
He repeats Shelf's argument about the need to allow the Hobbits of the Shire to gambol and frolic, which I think is incredibly selfish and self-centered.

Will you make the same argument about selfishness when we'll inevitably confront the matter of debt and default?

Probably not, seeing as how I don't see the connection, but feel free to do so yourself.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: alfred russel on March 31, 2020, 01:17:06 PM
People need to voluntarily accept the quarantine system, and it needs to be sustainable for a month plus (or however long this is to last). You can't make the rules so difficult that people can't comply without going insane, and you can't make the rules so arbitrary they seem nonsensical. Birdwatching isn't going to lead to doom from coronavirus. Closing the public boat ramps so people can't go out on their boats won't save us either.

Bird watching will lead to doom if people are close enough to transmit.  I don't expect anyone to go insane from denied access to their boat.

Josquius

Currently playing in my head, the specials ghost town.
With goat instead of ghost 🐐
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

Apparently MSNBC ran a big story about Missouri and how our governor isn't taking this seriously enough.  The Missouri Medical Association asked the governor to issue a shelter in place.  Something the Governor has failed to do.

It's going to be bad in the rural communities in no small part because the people in those areas think this is some kind of hoax.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sheilbh

There's a big concern here about rural areas and hospitals potentially being overwhlemed quickly because they're really not designed for ICU and this sort of situation. I imainge it's an even bigger issue in a country like the US (or Canada).
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 31, 2020, 01:22:59 PM
Quote from: Malthus on March 31, 2020, 01:02:24 PM
What I do when someone is approaching me down the sidewalk is to step off it, either onto the grass or onto the road if it is safe, in the hope that the other person will do the same but on the other side.

It's annoying when they are jogging down the middle and don't bother even to move over. 😄
Joggers cannot deviate apparently. I mean I'm on fucking crutches and I tend to be the one who gets out the way to try and keep distant from joggers/runners <_<

Yes I've seen that and also similar arrogance from groups of young men on mountain bikes along shared paths.

This evening on my shopping trip three of them came down the old railwayline two abreast, I pulled in to the side and stopped, in effect making my point and they just carried on two abreast at the front with no acknowledgement.

Presumably they went on to annoy/harass all the other pedestrians and dog walkers I'd politely and safely past in the preceding couple of miles. :rolleyes:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Razgovory

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 31, 2020, 04:25:51 PM
There's a big concern here about rural areas and hospitals potentially being overwhlemed quickly because they're really not designed for ICU and this sort of situation. I imainge it's an even bigger issue in a country like the US (or Canada).

Yeah, it's scary.  There are two hospitals in my town, but out in the boondocks there is really poor coverage.  There is also a huge shortage of doctor in rural areas.  It's not a good situation at all.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Oexmelin

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 31, 2020, 04:03:49 PM
Probably not, seeing as how I don't see the connection, but feel free to do so yourself.

Mostly that selfishness never seemed to bother you when it concerned the pursuit of greed, but now that it concerns health, you seem ready to unleash police forces against everyone.
Que le grand cric me croque !

garbon

Quote from: Oexmelin on March 31, 2020, 05:16:13 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 31, 2020, 04:03:49 PM

Mostly that selfishness never seemed to bother you when it concerned the pursuit of greed, but now that it concerns health, you seem ready to unleash police forces against everyone.

:lol:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Oexmelin on March 31, 2020, 05:16:13 PM

Yeah, I don't see the connection aside from the shared word.

Selfishness in the context of a deadly pandemic is putting your own happiness above the health and lives of others.  "It is expected that 0.02 people will die as a result, but it's very important to me to get exactly the Easter egg I want."

Selfishness in the economic context generates pareto improvement.  I toil and labor to invent and produce the perfect Easter egg, people's lives are improved as a result, and I also reap monetary benefits.

Now you could counter that the producer of the old shitty Easter egg did not experience improvement and that's true.  That's the nature of competition.  I suppose you can call the inventor selfish in relation to the shit producer.  That seems to be the driving force behind corporatism.  Fix everything, no hiring no firing, no progress no change.  All so we can protect the producer of shitty eggs and his employees.  Which to me seems very selfish in relation to the inventor, but most importantly in relation to the consumer, who has been denied the chance to improve his life.

Sheilbh

So the FT have update their trackers - they now show weekly new cases. So if the line's going up then there's more and if it goes down then there's fewer cases/deaths.

In terms of new cases - I am very dubious of Chinese numbers now you see it in comparison with, say, South Korea. It looks like Italy has peaked - though there's a horrible long plateau. Spain, France and Germany look like they're starting to plateau. The UK and US continuing to increase (100,000 new cases in the US this week):

It also looks like Italy has peaked in terms of new deaths, but still growing everywhere else (at different rates) :(

The sub-national regions are also really striking. All of the US ones here (except for Washington) look concerning. We're also seeing the escalation in London, as we've been warned - Sadiq has said the prediction is that London will peak in 2-4 weeks so hopefully that rate slows down because it's really grim at the minute and you can see how it's likely we'll definitely need an extra 4,000 ICU beds.
Let's bomb Russia!