Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iormlund

Quote from: mongers on March 31, 2020, 06:30:45 PM
Until the next virus?

I was watching an interview of the leading coronavirus expert in Spain the other day. In essence, we (as in mankind) dropped the ball. If we had followed through with the SARS vaccine, we'd be perhaps as little as two months away of adapting it to SARS-CoV 2's proteins. He also said their estimations were an animal-to-human viral jump every 5 years on average, just for coronaviruses.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Oexmelin on March 31, 2020, 06:37:04 PM
How many mortgage lenders can reasonably be expected to live in squalor and destitution?

If no one paid their mortgage, quite a few, unless they found other employment.  I guess some will have amassed sufficient other assets not to be reduced to destitution.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Iormlund on March 31, 2020, 06:28:38 PM
I'm assuming a fairly vigorous restart of the world economy by the time this is over. Else there will be blood on the streets.

Until the next virus?

Or just until this one starts spiking up again...even if we manage a vaccine.

We have enough people now who don't bother with the regular flu vaccine, or still get sick anyway.  Why should Covid be different?

Grey Fox

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 31, 2020, 04:25:51 PM
There's a big concern here about rural areas and hospitals potentially being overwhlemed quickly because they're really not designed for ICU and this sort of situation. I imainge it's an even bigger issue in a country like the US (or Canada).

It is. Quebec has close the 8(out of 18) most remote County to non-essential travel in response.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 31, 2020, 06:20:04 PM
Look at the glass as half full rather than half empty.  One out of two ain't bad.

-- Shaquille O'Neal
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sheilbh

One query - do American kids get Easter eggs? Or is it not done over there? :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Egg hunts and egg coloring and chocolate eggs and rabbits.

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

katmai

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 31, 2020, 06:54:09 PM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on March 31, 2020, 06:49:38 PM
We have egg hunts.
And those eggs are chocolate? :mellow:
depends, some are plastic eggs with treats inside, some are hard boiled and decorated.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

mongers

Quote from: Iormlund on March 31, 2020, 06:40:20 PM
Until the next virus?

I was watching an interview of the leading coronavirus expert in Spain the other day. In essence, we (as in mankind) dropped the ball. If we had followed through with the SARS vaccine, we'd be perhaps as little as two months away of adapting it to SARS-CoV 2's proteins. He also said their estimations were an animal-to-human viral jump every 5 years on average, just for coronaviruses.

Thanks for that, some real concerns that need a degree of international co-ordination, planning and action.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

11B4V

Fuck, forgot Easter is coming.......egg salad  :punk:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

mongers

The San Francisco Chronicle is reporting there's a significant outbreak on the USS Theodore Roosevelt CVN currently docked in Guam. Reporting over 100 sailors have it and the captain has 'asked for help'.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

11B4V

Quote from: mongers on March 31, 2020, 08:04:52 PM
The San Francisco Chronicle is reporting there's a significant outbreak on the USS Theodore Roosevelt CVN currently docked in Guam. Reporting over 100 sailors have it and the captain has 'asked for help'.

Floating petri dish.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".