Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Before spams the thread furiously in an effort to use up his 100 word quota before the end of the month.

ulmont

Quote from: merithyn on March 31, 2020, 01:46:12 PM
In Albany, GA, a town with a population of 90,000 people, 24 have died from COVID with more being investigated.

Still a crazy number of deaths for a town that small because one person came in from out of town to attend a funeral.

This is the closest (next county over) reasonably sized (has a movie theater) town to where my parents and most of my family live.  My Aunt's neighbor* died last week of the 'Rona, with the infection traced back to that same funeral in Albany.  The 'Rona is exploding in South Georgia as a direct result of that funeral to the extent that as of Sunday the times listed the top 4 US metros in per capita cases as:

1. New York
2. Albany, GA**
3. New Orleans***
4. Seattle

And there are high percentages of diabetes and hypertension in Southwest Georgia.

*In her late '90s; not a life tragically cut short.
**Near where my parents and family live
***Where I live

mongers

Quote from: ulmont on March 31, 2020, 08:29:36 PM
Quote from: merithyn on March 31, 2020, 01:46:12 PM
In Albany, GA, a town with a population of 90,000 people, 24 have died from COVID with more being investigated.

Still a crazy number of deaths for a town that small because one person came in from out of town to attend a funeral.

This is the closest (next county over) reasonably sized (has a movie theater) town to where my parents and most of my family live.  My Aunt's neighbor* died last week of the 'Rona, with the infection traced back to that same funeral in Albany.  The 'Rona is exploding in South Georgia as a direct result of that funeral to the extent that as of Sunday the times listed the top 4 US metros in per capita cases as:

1. New York
2. Albany, GA**
3. New Orleans***
4. Seattle

And there are high percentages of diabetes and hypertension in Southwest Georgia.

*In her late '90s; not a life tragically cut short.
**Near where my parents and family live
***Where I live

:(

Damn, hope your family is seriously isolating as much as possible.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

ulmont

Quote from: mongers on March 31, 2020, 08:46:31 PM

They're doing what they can, but they farm...

mongers

Quote from: ulmont on March 31, 2020, 08:52:26 PM

Ah those people who feed us, they're the ones who've suddenly become rather important.  :cool:

11B4V

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 31, 2020, 08:12:08 PM
Before spams the thread furiously in an effort to use up his 100 word quota before the end of the month.

:showoff:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Camerus

Quote from: mongers on March 31, 2020, 08:54:18 PM
Quote from: ulmont on March 31, 2020, 08:52:26 PM

Ah those people who feed us, they're the ones who've suddenly become rather important.  :cool:

Der Kaiser, der König, der Bürger im Land,
Sich müssen ernähren vom Bauern sein Hand

;)

mongers

The US, France and Italy all recorded more than 800 coronavirus deaths today. With Spain not far behind with another 750 deaths.

Admiral Yi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJYGjNquGkk

Tent hospital set up in Central Park by Good Samaritans charity.  Hospital beds put in Javits Convention Center and at the US Tennis Center (where US open tournament is played).

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 30, 2020, 08:57:33 PM
Several professional and personal acquaintances have come down with COVID-19.  Most are OK - but one casual professional acquaintance is on a vent in critical condition.  Survival prognosis unclear.  He is in his 30s and was otherwise healthy.

Looks like he's going to be OK. Off the ventilator and stabilized.  Got very scary for a bit though.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Minsky Moment

New York is screwed, Jersey is screwed America is screwed.
WH now talking about 100-250K dead - that is likely wishful thinking.
Deaths almost certain to break 1000 April 1 and still rising fast.  US will break 100K in time for May flowers.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Syt

Quote from: mongers on March 31, 2020, 08:04:52 PM
The San Francisco Chronicle is reporting there's a significant outbreak on the USS Theodore Roosevelt CVN currently docked in Guam. Reporting over 100 sailors have it and the captain has 'asked for help'.

Seems that captain of the vessel has asked for evacuation and for the crew to be quarantined. The pentagon has rejected the request and instead sends medical staff for more testing.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Maladict

Quote from: Syt on April 01, 2020, 01:20:30 AM

Seems that captain of the vessel has asked for evacuation and for the crew to be quarantined. The pentagon has rejected the request and instead sends medical staff for more testing.

Righly so. Guam needs an active carrier in case of a surprise attack.

Sheilbh

Quote from: mongers on March 31, 2020, 09:09:32 PM
The US, France and Italy all recorded more than 800 coronavirus deaths today. With Spain not far behind with another 750 deaths.
Yesterday was another day that recorded 10% of all deaths by coronavirus.
Let's bomb Russia!