Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Shit, that's just sobering.  I wonder what factors apart from existing medical history or age play a role in how bad it gets to be.

The Minsky Moment

I had a hearing in Queens on March 3.  Took an uber home and haven't left the house since.  For once suburban living has its advantages.

If New York state was a country it would be number 5 in the world in confirmed COVID cases.  Of course there are really many more out there.  Unfortunately, New York state is a not a country and depends on a now hostile central government for critical resources.  It is already pretty bad here, it is going to get much worse.

EDIT: NYC alone has more than the entire UK
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

HisMajestyBOB

I've been logging the stats published by the Virginia Department of Health since March 19th (http://www.vdh.virginia.gov/coronavirus/).

Date Tested Cases Hospitalized (new 3/19) Fatalities Case Rate / Tested Hospital Rate / Positive Death Rate / Hospitalized
3/19/2020 1,923 94 19 2 4.9% 20% 11%
3/20/2020 2,325 114 20 2 4.9% 18% 10%
3/21/2020 2,790 152 25 2 5.4% 16% 8%
3/22/2020 3,337 219 32 3 6.6% 15% 9%
3/23/2020 3,697 254 38 6 6.9% 15% 16%
3/24/2020 4,470 290 45 7 6.5% 16% 16%
3/25/2020 5,370 391 59 9 7.3% 15% 15%
3/26/2020 6,189 460 65 13 7.4% 14% 20%
3/27/2020 7,337 604 83 14 8.2% 14% 17%
3/28/2020 9,166 739 99 17 8.1% 13% 17%
3/29/2020 10,609 890 112 22 8.4% 13% 20%
3/30/2020 12,038 1,020 136 25 8.5% 13% 18%

The testing rate has steadily increased, but the percentage of those tested that actually have it is also increasing (and is fairly low; the website even notes that negative results may currently be undercounted because many results are being faxed). If other states have similar data, it would be interesting to compare.

With Virginia, Maryland, and DC all under stay-at-home orders and many people in the DC area having worked at home for the past two weeks, we'll hopefully see this start to level off in two weeks or so. Fingers crossed.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

jimmy olsen

That's a lot :(

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1244809435572326403

QuoteOver the past 24 hours, the U.S. reported 23,415 new cases of coronavirus and 593 new deaths, raising the total to 163,932 cases and 3,138 dead
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Syt

WHO: Nobody who is not sick should wear a face mask!

Austrian government: we make face masks mandatory for everyone in supermarkets. Supermarkets will distribute them for free starting this week.

:unsure:

Also: using shopping carts will be mandatory (to make it easier to keep distance), shopping carts need to be disinfected after each use, markers at checkouts to help people keep proper distance, number of customers per square meters will be limited.

The government is also evaluating making masks mandatory in certain crowded areas, and to maybe gradually re-open shops with the above mentioned requirements.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Threviel

In Sweden everything is still quite calm. There are the normal shortages of masks and medical equipment. The military is helping with field hospitals and they are under construction in the big cities.

The disease has spread quick in the immigration heavy poorer parts of Stockholm, but otherwise the spread still seems quite under control. Relatively speaking of course, it seems on par with other countries.

Tamas

Sheilbh will be happy to read that British police chiefs agree with him, the police should not be cracking down on middle class leisure activities like driving to places for exercising.

Richard Hakluyt

Gups

The only Covid-19 objection I can see to driving somewhere to exercise is that you may need to fill up on petrol but that's not a particularly risky interaction.

Tamas

Quote from: Gups on March 31, 2020, 02:09:21 AM
The only Covid-19 objection I can see to driving somewhere to exercise is that you may need to fill up on petrol but that's not a particularly risky interaction.

No, you only end up spreading the infection to parts of the country you would have not spread it if you could just walked in your neighbourhood.

If you allow leisury drives to beauty spots, good luck preventing the mass exodus of infected Londoners to semi-isolated small towns.   

Legbiter

Quote from: Syt on March 31, 2020, 12:09:49 AM
WHO: Nobody who is not sick should wear a face mask!

Austrian government: we make face masks mandatory for everyone in supermarkets. Supermarkets will distribute them for free starting this week.

If the WHO didn't exist, it would save more lives.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on March 31, 2020, 01:35:53 AM
Sheilbh will be happy to read that British police chiefs agree with him, the police should not be cracking down on middle class leisure activities like driving to places for exercising.
Also happy they'll stop harassing corner shops for stocking "non-essential" Easter Eggs or Warrington Police "summonsing" "multiple people from the same household going to the shops for non-essential items". I'm really fascinated by the last one because the government's already shut down non-essential shops. So did this family just go to the nearest Asda and only buy biscuits or other such fripperies :huh:

But yes, I'm happy, because the vast majority of people are following the rules and we don't need the police undermining that.
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

There was some debate here about stores like Müller, which are primarily a drug store (essential), but also have large departments for stationery, toys, games, movies, etc. I think they're permitted to sell the former but not the latter. As it would not fair to competitors selling those non-essential goods only and are not allowed to open.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

Quote from: Syt on March 31, 2020, 04:41:51 AM
There was some debate here about stores like Müller, which are primarily a drug store (essential), but also have large departments for stationery, toys, games, movies, etc. I think they're permitted to sell the former but not the latter. As it would not fair to competitors selling those non-essential goods only and are not allowed to open.

Over here these sections are cordoned off to the public. The idea also being that you don't brand to draw in more traffic to the stores for nonessential items.

celedhring

+849 dead (+11%). Fourth day in a row where the number of new dead remains stagnant.

Number of infected is growing at a quicker pace, but we're finally deploying those quick tests so that's to be expected.