News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

"Censoring?"  Please tell me that means something more than we're hiding that someone fucked up.

Fate

It's to help keep the patient anonymous. If you didn't know who the patient was you could go into the electronic medical record and figure it out based on how many days they've been in the hospital. Presumably they're still alive but not yet discharged home.

merithyn

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 30, 2020, 03:42:03 PM
Yeah - I'm keeping an eye on my drinking. But there's not much more to do than crack open the wine in the evening :blush:

I joined a wine club because really, what else should I be doing right now? :blush:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

OttoVonBismarck

Yeah, the HIPAA laws on protecting patient anonymity are frequently interpreted (both by the regulators and providers) very broadly, mainly to avoid "trouble." So even when producing aggregate data, anonymized data etc, a care must be given that there is no way to even potentially identify the patient. For example let's say you're doing a county by county survey of mental health involuntary commitments in the Commonwealth of Virginia. A very rural county may only have one or two commitments in the period, so sometimes those datasets can't even give firm numbers, but just "asterisks" and a denote that only a small amount of data came to that region. The logic is in a small community if only one person has been involuntarily committed in the past 365 days, people may have a general knowledge of who that is, and thus any reporting about him, even in an anonymized dataset, won't be really anonymous.

merithyn

Quote from: Tamas on March 30, 2020, 03:43:31 PM
Quote from: DGuller on March 30, 2020, 03:08:44 PM
Serious question, CC:  are you intentionally being inflammatory with the use of "you guys", "your country", etc, or do you not recognize how the use of "you" in this context is inflammatory?  There are really only two options here, which one is it?

It is a bit funny how you guys close ranks the moment a foreigner goes "USA messed up" - it happened with me once as well, maybe when I suggested your destroyer blowing up in Havana was a US plot to fabricate a CB.  :D

I really think that's unfair. He's just saying, "USA messed up." He's hammering home a bunch of untruths now, saying that we're still fucking up and we're the cause of deaths the world over. That's really not the same.

All I really want to know is what he's looking to hear from any of the US folks. We've all said that yes, the US fucked up. That Trump is a moron. That we're looking down the barrel of a gun of our own making. But we're also saying that maybe that barrel isn't quite so close because in the last week we've finally started getting our shit together.

None of that is wrong, and yet he continues to act as if we're snorting Kool Aid off Trump's asscrack.

merithyn

Quote from: Fate on March 30, 2020, 04:44:39 PM
Sobering case series of 24 ICU cases in Seattle published today in the New England Journal of Medicine.

Notable 2:1 male:female ratio. Average BMI 33.2. 50% died.

Diabetes is probably the worst comorbid condition to have besides being male.  :lol:

:weep:

Hence my fear. For me and my 24-year-old son. :(

DGuller

Quote from: Fate on March 30, 2020, 04:52:14 PM
It's to help keep the patient anonymous. If you didn't know who the patient was you could go into the electronic medical record and figure it out based on how many days they've been in the hospital. Presumably they're still alive but not yet discharged home.
I think that's a statistical term in this case.  In statistics, "censoring" means that information was cut off.  My lifespan is censored:  I know it's > 38 years, but I don't know yet and hopefully won't know for a long time what exactly it is.

EDIT:  Put much more simply, here "censored" means you've neither died nor were discharged yet.  You haven't been observed for long enough to know what the final outcome for you is.

mongers

Quote from: DGuller on March 30, 2020, 05:10:03 PM
Quote from: Fate on March 30, 2020, 04:52:14 PM
I think that's a statistical term in this case.  In statistics, "censoring" means that information was cut off.  My lifespan is censored:  I know it's > 38 years, but I don't know yet and hopefully won't know for a long time what exactly it is.

EDIT:  Put much more simply, here "censored" means you've neither died nor were discharged yet.  You haven't been observed for long enough to know what the final outcome for you is.

Thanks DG, interesting.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

Razgovory

This is getting kinda scary.  My brother thinks he may have, he sounds terrible, but his nitwit boyfriend thinks my brother is overreacting and won't let him go to the doctor.  I'm terrified I get it and spread to my mom.  She's over 60 and has diabetes and has no insurance.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Caliga

Something I never thought I'd see in my lifetime:  our governor has ordered us to not go to Tennessee unless absolutely necessary.  This is because he believes Tennessee is not doing enough to contain the disease. :wacko:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

merithyn

Quote from: Razgovory on March 30, 2020, 06:10:22 PM
This is getting kinda scary.  My brother thinks he may have, he sounds terrible, but his nitwit boyfriend thinks my brother is overreacting and won't let him go to the doctor.  I'm terrified I get it and spread to my mom.  She's over 60 and has diabetes and has no insurance.

:(

Be careful, Raz. :hug:

DGuller

Are you in physical contact with your brother?

merithyn

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on March 30, 2020, 06:16:17 PM
Are you in physical contact with your brother?

Nope, he moved to Kansas in January.  I don't think he has insurance either.  I'm not sure about my sister (in Wisconsin) but I don't think so.  The only one who does have it is me, and I'm not really that important.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017