News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

2nd grocery run of The Great Plague.  I ordered about 20 cans of soup, only 1 was in stock.

OttoVonBismarck

I'd never done it before but I did Instacart week 1 of the quarantine and it had a 3 day waiting line which was fine, order came in 100% of everything I ordered. I tipped really well. I decided to do it again 4 days later since the trial run went so well and ordered even more, and also had success.

PRC

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 30, 2020, 02:35:19 PM
2nd grocery run of The Great Plague.  I ordered about 20 cans of soup, only 1 was in stock.

Cream of mushroom?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: PRC on March 30, 2020, 02:44:55 PM
Cream of mushroom?

:D I think it was gumbo.

Oh yeah, one person in the parking lot with a mask on.  I think he was Asian.

HVC

i'm still annoyed that Campbells changed their cream of mushroom soup recipe in the 90s. never forget!
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

crazy canuck

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on March 30, 2020, 02:00:09 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on March 30, 2020, 01:45:11 PM
Another article to counter Trumpist Bullshit

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/03/27/coronavirus-testing-us/

No one is spouting Trumpist bullshit here. What some of us are saying is you're a giant douche piece of shit, for jerking off to Canadian nationalist anti-American bullshit in the midst of a global epidemic in which thousands of people have died and many thousands more will die.

The US is nowhere near testing as much as most industrialized countries on a per capita basis.  Read the article.  Stop with the USA USA idiocy.  You guys shit the bed and are continuing to shit the bed.  stop pretending otherwise.

merithyn

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 30, 2020, 02:56:00 PM

No one is spouting Trumpist bullshit here. What some of us are saying is you're a giant douche piece of shit, for jerking off to Canadian nationalist anti-American bullshit in the midst of a global epidemic in which thousands of people have died and many thousands more will die.

The US is nowhere near testing as much as most industrialized countries on a per capita basis.  Read the article.  Stop with the USA USA idiocy.  You guys shit the bed and are continuing to shit the bed.  stop pretending otherwise.

No one is pretending otherwise. They're saying that right now the US has stepped up and is doing what needs doing. Are we there yet? No. Are we as far behind as we were this time last week? No.

You want us to show mea culpa for being behind? We've done that. We've said that Trump and the US are way behind where we should be, and we still have a ways to go. Okay. Yay? You win?

But to say that we're still shitting the bed is absurd. Are we there yet? No. Are we getting better? Yes. Taking that as a win for our side is also okay.

Fuck. What exactly do you want from us, cc?  <_<
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

crazy canuck

Quote from: merithyn on March 30, 2020, 02:59:14 PM

No one is pretending otherwise. They're saying that right now the US has stepped up and is doing what needs doing.

But it isn't. 

Here is an article as of today.

There is hope the US will start testing per capita on par with the rest - best still isn't there yet.

The claim that it is now doing so is just false.

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/03/30/823684784/fact-check-u-s-still-lags-behind-on-testing-despite-trumps-claims

DGuller

Serious question, CC:  are you intentionally being inflammatory with the use of "you guys", "your country", etc, or do you not recognize how the use of "you" in this context is inflammatory?  There are really only two options here, which one is it?

OttoVonBismarck

The article you linked only shows data for 7 countries, which maybe I'm miscounting, does not constitute an appreciable portion of the total population of the OECD, also one of them (Vietnam) isn't even an OECD country, which I believe I mentioned earlier I was comparing the U.S. to "peer" countries. Even in that data set the U.S. is shown as testing significantly more per million (1647) than Japan (214), further, that data is from 3/27 and the US is already up to 2600/million since then, and it's only been a few days.

Something like 10 days ago the U.S. had only tested 15,000 people and today we have tested more than any other country, period, I have never said we have tested more "per unit of population", what I did say was we had ramped up testing recently and continuing to act as though that isn't the case is prone to give you an inaccurate view of the epidemic. It also wasn't illogical at all to expect that as the U.S. massively ramped up testing, we also surged to #1 in total infections. That's reported, confirmed infections.

I think it's highly doubtful China didn't have >1m infections, and probably multiple millions, at its peak. Additionally something like 50% of Italian tests are coming back positive versus 9% or so of American tests, Italy is testing mostly its sick/hospitalized, so it is almost certainly the case Italy has far more total cases than the United States, at least right now (I expect that will change over the coming weeks.)

The value of any of this data for comparison sake is actually quite limited, but you were the idiot who tried to somehow paint our #1 in confirmed cases as a sign of our deep failure as a country. I simply pointed out that we have tested more people than anyone else, something that remains a fact, one that you seem to struggle to accept rationally.

Barrister

CC, I don't know if you mean to, but you really come across as "spiking the football", of almost gloating.  Our American posters are living through this, know how bad it is, don't need you pointing it out to them.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 30, 2020, 02:59:57 PM
But it isn't. 

Here is an article as of today.

There is hope the US will start testing per capita on par with the rest - best still isn't there yet.

The claim that it is now doing so is just false.

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/03/30/823684784/fact-check-u-s-still-lags-behind-on-testing-despite-trumps-claims

No one ever made that claim, you stupid piece of shit, lying motherfucking cunt. I hope you and yours get sick and die, for you to sit here and lie about this and bash my country during an epidemic--you should be ashamed. No one in this thread has ever made the claim that the U.S. was testing more per capita than any other country, the claim--supported by evidence, was that we had increased our testing dramatically in recent days, had tested more total than anyone else, and that our "gap" in per capita testing was shrinking. All of this is 100% in line with the actual data, you mongoloid piece of shit.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

Otto and CC both seem to be taking these numbers quite personally.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on March 30, 2020, 03:11:26 PMI hope you and yours get sick and die,

I'll admit to temporarily being worked up and this line was over the top for which I apologize, I stand by everything else said.