Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: fromtia on March 25, 2020, 02:22:16 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 25, 2020, 02:20:51 PM
Quote from: Iormlund on March 25, 2020, 02:14:59 PM
I don't quite follow. Are you arguing the people whose jobs are in a limbo and might never come back are too fortunate?

No, I'm arguing that those people who, by the nature of their job, are exposed to higher risks are performing a desperately needed public service and shouldn't be penalized for doing so.

Do you think we would be better off with some form of UBI, or did you like the one time $1200 advance?

UBI is a dumb idea as a stimulus or response to coronavirus. Plenty of us are still working and getting our paychecks, and since the world is shut down don't even have a way to spend extra cash.

When ranking injustice in the world, I don't think that a bunch of laid off workers, concentrated in industries that effectively went to zero overnight, getting sweeter than normal unemployment even registers. I think most people would rather work rather than sit around aimlessly in a world that is short on things to do.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

fromtia

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 25, 2020, 02:33:54 PM
Quote from: fromtia on March 25, 2020, 02:30:15 PM
Be happy to. I love grocery stores. Especially Publix. I already tried applying last week, but the hundred thousand other unemployed waiters must have been quicker off the mark.

Apply later when people are getting that 600/week top up.

Sure, lets see what happens. If there's a riot at Publix and the employees all shoot themselves in the foot, I'll be in like a flynn.

So did you like a UBI sort of plan of some kind, or Mitchs $1200 or something else?
"Just be nice" - James Dalton, Roadhouse.

Josquius

UBI is a fine idea.
As long as it applies to those still working too.
Otherwise it's not UBI.

Given making it work isn't just a case of handing out money but reforming taxation et al its not really workable at such short notice however.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Fate on March 25, 2020, 02:36:50 PM
Let's be realistic. Donald Trump and Mitch McConnel would never sign a law where the Donald Trump Jrs of the world had to spend a week bagging groceries during a deadly pandemic.

Does this mean we're done discussing the morality?  Did we come to a conclusion?

Fate

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 25, 2020, 02:40:04 PM
Quote from: Fate on March 25, 2020, 02:36:50 PM
Let's be realistic. Donald Trump and Mitch McConnel would never sign a law where the Donald Trump Jrs of the world had to spend a week bagging groceries during a deadly pandemic.

Does this mean we're done discussing the morality?  Did we come to a conclusion?

What do you want to do? There's a lot of people working essential jobs with shit pay and higher risk of exposure. Grocery store clerks but also many people in healthcare like the janitors, cafeteria workers, nurse assistants, LVNs, daycare workers, home health aids, etc. I'd support paying all of them more but we have to deal with a Republican Senate and a Republican President.

I'm all for reshaping the economy. Let's triple the federal minimum wage. Let's pass Medicare for All. Let's have universal paid sick/maternity leave. But it's all pie in the sky.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: fromtia on March 25, 2020, 02:38:54 PM
So did you like a UBI sort of plan of some kind, or Mitchs $1200 or something else?

I like the extension of UI to people who don't normally qualify.  I would like an extension of UI for people who's regular benefits run out.  I would like a national emergency service bonus for essential workers.

Everyone else can fuck off. :P

Admiral Yi

Sure, Medicare for essential workers who don't have coverage.

fromtia

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 25, 2020, 02:46:25 PM
Quote from: fromtia on March 25, 2020, 02:38:54 PM

I like the extension of UI to people who don't normally qualify.  I would like an extension of UI for people who's regular benefits run out.  I would like a national emergency service bonus for essential workers.

Everyone else can fuck off. :P

I can absolutely get behind a bonus of some sort for essential workers. Like a sort of minimum wage type thing. Or a check from the government for four months or six months. I'm all about the working stiffs in the grocery store. I see that Costco is upping everyone's hourly, and they already pay pretty well. You get the extra loot in the middle of April, so you cant die or quit between now and then though. I agree with what they've done for UI in terms of extending its coverage, and suspending some restrictions, but without increasing the amount of benefit, its hard to see it making a meaningful difference to people who have had their jobs shuttered by the government.

ulmont

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 25, 2020, 05:56:45 AM
And, yeah, Louisiana is worrying - carrying on with mardi gras may have been a mistake.

Mardi Gras was February 24.  Over 1 month ago and we didn't know shit in the US back then.

...also, Atlanta is running out of ICUs faster than Louisiana.  Louisiana has another week or so.  Atlanta, well.

https://www.cbs46.com/news/atlanta-mayor-says-icu-units-are-at-full-capacity/article_495755b8-6e92-11ea-b9ba-5ff9aadecb3b.html

We're all fucked.  The only hope is if that UK prediction was right and half of us already got it and didn't notice.

Fate

The mayor saying that is concerning, but what constitutes an "ICU bed" in the coming months will expand downward. Eventually it's going to simply mean one hospital bed with one ventilator. In normal times it's far more than that.

I don't think Atlanta is out of beds with ventilators yet. If that's true, then all the prepper nightmares are about to be realized.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: fromtia on March 25, 2020, 02:51:57 PM
I agree with what they've done for UI in terms of extending its coverage, and suspending some restrictions, but without increasing the amount of benefit, its hard to see it making a meaningful difference to people who have had their jobs shuttered by the government.

What does this mean?  All I care about is people who are jobless having enough money to eat and keep the lights on.

crazy canuck

Katmai just made it across the border in time.  The Federal Quarantine Act has just been amended to make quarantine mandatory for anyone entering the country.

Sheilbh

One sad detail in the UK is this is disproportionately hitting the Jewish community - largely because of the worse situation in London, and particularly North-West London. Of the over 400 deaths, over 20 are Jews (they're about 0.5% of the population) and I understand at least 4 attended a single Synagogue which must be kind of horrifying to deal with as a very small community.
Let's bomb Russia!

fromtia

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 25, 2020, 03:01:20 PM

What does this mean?  All I care about is people who are jobless having enough money to eat and keep the lights on.

should they be able to pay their rent or mortgage and keep their vehicles insured and running as well?