And we're back!

Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gups

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 25, 2020, 11:03:47 AM
Quote from: Gups on March 25, 2020, 11:01:39 AM
All safe and well thanks. The boy (who Shelf met when he was a baby, damn time flies) has had A-levels cancelled, he's not sure whether he's pleased or not. 
:o Wow.

Have they explained what's going to happen for A-levels yet?

Teacher assessment goes to OFQUAL (or whatever their called). Option of taking in Sept/Oct or next Summer. He has his heart set on Manchester but needs ABB which is a stretch for a lazy party animal

Gups

Quote from: Agelastus on March 25, 2020, 11:06:22 AM
Quote from: Gups on March 25, 2020, 10:55:19 AM
Bit more detail on that. Does sound like potentially the best bit of news we've had for quite a while

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/25/uk-coronavirus-mass-home-testing-to-be-made-available-within-days

Good to metaphorically "see" you Gups.

And I agree as well; this may be the best bit of news in a while.

It sounds like a test NHS workers should be taking every day, though, if I read how it works correctly - so I do wonder whether they've ordered enough for the general public as well. We have a distinct tendency towards underestimation in this country.

They are saying 3.5m arriving in "days" with millions more on order. Will go to vulnerable and key workers first and then on offer to general public. Question is whether we can trust joe public.

Zanza

Antibody tests would be a game changer as it would allow to find all the hidden asymptomatic cases.

Iormlund

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 25, 2020, 08:59:47 AM
Quote from: Zanza on March 25, 2020, 08:51:26 AM
I was in London until the 10th, went to the office one last time on the 11th and have been working from home since the 12th. More shopping early on, now it is only groceries. It is amazing and frightening how fast the world changes within two weeks...
Even days - my behaviour hasn't changed much from pre-lockdown to now, because I was following the advice. But psychologically it just feels like a different world, which is in, what, two or three days.

I actually feel much less stressed out now.

A couple weeks ago I was still trying to get my employer to see what was going to happen and that I needed to distance myself from the rest of the staff. Nobody thinks I'm a lunatic anymore. If anything, most people have gone past me into full hysteria mode.

Legbiter

How long has Spain been in total lockdown? Feels like eons ago.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

The Larch

Quote from: Legbiter on March 25, 2020, 11:30:01 AM

It'll be two weeks next saturday.

Syt

Our lockdown is in its second week. The government said that they will be able to give an update on potential timelines/further measures on Friday when they have two weeks' of lockdown data to work with.

We're scheduled for lockdown till 13th April, but it will likely last longer, and any lifting of it would be bit by bit.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Iormlund on March 25, 2020, 11:27:33 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on March 25, 2020, 08:59:47 AM
Quote from: Zanza on March 25, 2020, 08:51:26 AM
I was in London until the 10th, went to the office one last time on the 11th and have been working from home since the 12th. More shopping early on, now it is only groceries. It is amazing and frightening how fast the world changes within two weeks...
Even days - my behaviour hasn't changed much from pre-lockdown to now, because I was following the advice. But psychologically it just feels like a different world, which is in, what, two or three days.

I actually feel much less stressed out now.

A couple weeks ago I was still trying to get my employer to see what was going to happen and that I needed to distance myself from the rest of the staff. Nobody thinks I'm a lunatic anymore. If anything, most people have gone past me into full hysteria mode.
This is fair - reminds me of a Chinese meme I saw that was circulating back in January:
Let's bomb Russia!

Legbiter

2 more weeks until the fatality peak then roughly speaking. If control measures have been somewhat effective.

Legbiter

Quote from: Syt on March 25, 2020, 11:34:42 AMWe're scheduled for lockdown till 13th April, but it will likely last longer, and any lifting of it would be bit by bit.

That might make sense. Ease up slowly in the least affected areas.

celedhring

Quote from: The Larch on March 25, 2020, 11:32:41 AM
Quote from: Legbiter on March 25, 2020, 11:30:01 AM

It'll be two weeks next saturday.

It wasn't in full effect until Monday.

Fate

Quote from: Zanza on March 25, 2020, 11:16:19 AM
Antibody tests would be a game changer as it would allow to find all the hidden asymptomatic cases.

Also those people with antibodies can go back to work.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Fate on March 25, 2020, 11:49:54 AM
Quote from: Zanza on March 25, 2020, 11:16:19 AM

Also those people with antibodies can go back to work.
Especially in the healthcare/key sectors.

Also we'll have far better information about how many people are asymptomatic/mild which could wildly change the estimated impact.

It's just a huge missing piece of info about this virus is illuminated.
Let's bomb Russia!

Legbiter

Someone needs to go full gunboat and seize some rubber plantations.  :huh:

QuoteMalaysia's medical glove factories, which make most of the world's critical hand protection, are operating at half capacity just when they're most needed, The Associated Press has learned.

Health care workers snap gloves on as the first line of protection against catching COVID-19 from patients, and they're crucial to protecting patients as well. But medical-grade glove supplies are running low globally, even as more feverish, sweating and coughing patients arrive in hospitals by the day.

Malaysia is by far the world's largest medical glove supplier, producing as many as three out of four gloves on market. The industry has a history of mistreating migrant workers who toil over hand-sized molds as they're dipped in melted latex or rubber, hot and exhausting work.

https://www.journalgazette.net/news/health/20200325/malaysias-virus-efforts-hurt-medical-glove-supply

Sheilbh

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 25, 2020, 07:31:57 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on March 24, 2020, 06:01:04 PM
Edit: Oh and Brits:
https://www.goodsamapp.org/NHS

Can sign up to be an NHS volunteer.
One thing that I do find positive in the news is the response of people and communities - both the little acts of kindness and people rallying to help.

So heartening to hear they've had 170,000 people sign up in the couple of days since this site went live.
This has gone up to over 400,000 since yesterday - which is really great.
Let's bomb Russia!