News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 25, 2020, 05:56:45 AM
Interesting - the author of that terrifying Imperial College study is giving evidence to the Commons Science Committee. He says that experts are "reasonably confident" that the combination of the NHS surge and lockdown means ICU capacity "won't be breached at national levels".

Hope they're right and presumably it means there may be local issues but as long as we can transport it might be okay.
This guy's evidence is continuing and it's terrifying that it's good news, but it kind of is?

Basically modeling is that this is probably "within capacity" of the NHS and peak demand on ICU is expected in 2.5-3 weeks time. The fatality estimate - with lockdown and capacity so the best case - is 20,000 "but it could be substantially lower" - which is incredibly grim.

Only large scale testing and contact tracing will allow lockdown to end (presumably absent developments in pharmaceuticals and vaccine).
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on March 25, 2020, 06:21:23 AM
+738 dead (+27%). Man, I need to take my eyes out of the news, this is really affecting me psychologically.

As I said back on P'dox, I think it's better to forget about micro-monitoring the data every single day, as it only adds worry and stress without us being able to do anything about it. This is one of these moments in which ignorance is bliss, as long as you keep following quarantine.  ;)

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Syt on March 24, 2020, 11:41:06 AM
Quote from: Tamas on March 24, 2020, 11:38:52 AM
A colleague of mine told us earlier today that she saw somebody use these distance keeping measures at a store to basically jump the queue, just stepping in to the middle of the empty space between two people. But I guess you can't just stop asshats from being asshats. Unless you are the police.

You would think the queue would be sacrosanct in the UK. :(

Happened to me yesterday on errand for an elderly person, there was not too many people queueing in front of the Monoprix store, yet some idiot behind me tried jump the queue by moving right in front of me as I was waiting the people inside to get out while respecting the metre or 2 of distance. Saw him arriving from behind, moved a bit and felt like elbowing him (not NHL minor penalty-style). The move was enough to make him understand but yeah he was closer than 1 metre on my back.

Sheilbh

The President responds to Mitt Romney testing negative:
QuoteThis is really great news! I am so happy I can barely speak. He may have been a terrible presidential candidate and an even worse U.S. Senator, but he is a RINO, and I like him a lot!

He's just an awful person on every single level :blink:
Let's bomb Russia!

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 25, 2020, 06:57:35 AM
QuoteThis is really great news! I am so happy I can barely speak. He may have been a terrible presidential candidate and an even worse U.S. Senator, but he is a RINO, and I like him a lot!

It is damning with faint praise but I do prefer Johnson  :P

Josquius

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 25, 2020, 06:57:35 AM

RINO?
Republican In Name Only?
Not sure how it connects.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 24, 2020, 06:01:04 PM
Edit: Oh and Brits:
https://www.goodsamapp.org/NHS

Can sign up to be an NHS volunteer.
One thing that I do find positive in the news is the response of people and communities - both the little acts of kindness and people rallying to help.

So heartening to hear they've had 170,000 people sign up in the couple of days since this site went live.
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 25, 2020, 06:27:36 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on March 25, 2020, 06:22:52 AM
Did the Queen have any contact with the Prince of Wales  :ph34r:
No doubt they'll each be locked down in separate castles "working from home"?

She last saw him on the 12th.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Some explanation as to what differentiated BC and Washington State - early aggressive testing which allowed health offices to understand where the infections were occurring and to take measures to contain.  There is going to be modelling released later in the week showing our curve.  The preview is that BC is not on the Italy curve.  That news is giving people hope.

Caliga

Quote from: Tyr on March 25, 2020, 07:10:09 AM
RINO?
Republican In Name Only?
You're still wasting time trying to find meaning in the nonsense he spouts? :hmm:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Zanza

Germany has 401 districts (called "Kreis" in German, maybe similar to counties in the US?) and 400 of those have reported cases.

Agelastus

Quote from: Zanza on March 25, 2020, 07:47:36 AM
Germany has 401 districts (called "Kreis" in German, maybe similar to counties in the US?) and 400 of those have reported cases.

And the lucky Kreis is?

[Actually, I am genuinely curious here - is it one of the most rural ones, or a Baltic coastal one where no-one goes on holiday in the winter?]
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Caliga on March 25, 2020, 07:46:25 AM
Quote from: Tyr on March 25, 2020, 07:10:09 AM
RINO?
Republican In Name Only?
You're still wasting time trying to find meaning in the nonsense he spouts? :hmm:

He voted to impeach. Thus, a RINO.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Sheilbh

Quote from: Caliga on March 25, 2020, 08:04:13 AM
...and therefore 'I like him a lot' ? :wacko:
I read the entire thing as sarcastic.
Let's bomb Russia!