News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iormlund

Quote from: DGuller on March 25, 2020, 05:07:53 PM
I decided to pitch in my 10 cores and 1080 GPU.  It's not doing anything at the moment even on full power. :unsure:
It took a while for mine to start folding, and so far only the GPU is doing so. The CPU slot keeps timing out when it polls the server.  :unsure:
Also, I can't see what I'm working on, but apparently it's connected to the issue above.

DGuller

Quote from: Iormlund on March 25, 2020, 05:24:43 PM
Quote from: DGuller on March 25, 2020, 05:07:53 PM
I decided to pitch in my 10 cores and 1080 GPU.  It's not doing anything at the moment even on full power. :unsure:
It took a while for mine to start folding, and so far only the GPU is doing so. The CPU slot keeps timing out when it polls the server.  :unsure:
Also, I can't see what I'm working on, but apparently it's connected to the issue above.
Yep, my GPU spooled up now, but CPUs aren't doing shit.  Maybe there are no jobs for CPUs, GPUs are usually far more effective at heavy lifting.

Legbiter

There's always a fresh batch of work units assigned each day. Sometimes it lays idle for a while until it starts crunching and you leave the computer on all night because you feel guilty about turning it off if your data set turned into the eureka! lottery ticket.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

mongers

Quote from: Fate on March 25, 2020, 12:53:33 PM
Quote from: DGuller on March 25, 2020, 12:40:05 PM
I wonder if it would make sense to draft low risk people to be infected right now, all at the same time? :ph34r: They'll do their 14 days in isolation and then take themselves out of the pool of potential super-spreaders.

I am looking at my hospital census right now and I see quite a few 20-50 year olds who are intubated in the ICU with COVID-19. Just because you're unlikely to die doesn't mean you can't get extremely sick.

Damn that's grim.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Eddie Teach

Quote from: fromtia on March 25, 2020, 04:57:53 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on March 25, 2020, 04:18:55 PM
Video by a worker of the Excel centre space in London that's being converted into an emergency 4,000 critical care bed hospital (NHS Nightingale):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=6&v=hiXVdfOSlF8&feature=emb_title

I had not realised the scale :blink: :ph34r:

Oof. This is going "Threads".  :(

What was that building originally used for?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sheilbh

Quote from: Eddie Teach on March 25, 2020, 05:46:12 PM
I think it's a convention centre. Some of the Olympics were definitely hosted there (I want to say gymnastics). But I think it's normally big corporate expos and stuff like that.
Let's bomb Russia!

PDH

It's where cruise ships have their old furniture and freshly departing customers...
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

mongers

Quote from: Eddie Teach on March 25, 2020, 05:46:12 PM
Quote from: fromtia on March 25, 2020, 04:57:53 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on March 25, 2020, 04:18:55 PM
Video by a worker of the Excel centre space in London that's being converted into an emergency 4,000 critical care bed hospital (NHS Nightingale):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=6&v=hiXVdfOSlF8&feature=emb_title

I had not realised the scale :blink: :ph34r:

Oof. This is going "Threads".  :(

Mainly weapon fairs for 3rd world dictators to get their guns in order to kill and suppress their people.

mongers

Something which probably only Shelf will take a polite interest in:

The six London borough I've all been keeping an eye on all have very similar case rates Brent, Lambeth, Southwark, Westminster, Kensington and Chelsea all have between 58 and 65 cases per 100,000. Oddly Haringey is the outlier with a rate of only 28.

But it's the rest of the country is worrying me, there seems to be a great deal of inexplicable variation.

For instance the conurbation here, Bournemouth, Poole and Christchurch has just 15 cases for 395,784 people, a rate of only 3.79 p100th. And yet this is a big urban area with good connections to London, only 1.5 hrs drive.
For comparison it's surrounding rural county of Dorset has nearly double that. :hmm:

Maybe it's the sea airs in the UK because some other 'conservative' coastal counties have suspiciously low rates, East Sussex 3.97 - no major city called Brighton and no London links.

I'm beginning to think London has a better set of testing regimes and some other areas don't consider testing that important or are turning people away from hospital

merithyn

It's the lack of testing that just makes all of those numbers almost worthless. :(
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

mongers

Quote from: merithyn on March 25, 2020, 09:27:42 PM
It's the lack of testing that just makes all of those numbers almost worthless. :(

Yes. I'm not leaving my semi-rural county to go shopping in the nearby large urban area that supposedly has a case rate only a 5th of where I live. :hmm:

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 25, 2020, 03:05:05 PM
Katmai just made it across the border in time.  The Federal Quarantine Act has just been amended to make quarantine mandatory for anyone entering the country.

You'll get him next time.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

merithyn

Katmai just made it across the border in time.  The Federal Quarantine Act has just been amended to make quarantine mandatory for anyone entering the country.

Here's hoping they don't quarantine him when he crosses over into Alaska. :(
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

11B4V

Quote from: grumbler on March 25, 2020, 09:36:56 PM

You'll get him next time.

:lol:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

mongers

I've found one silver lining to this crisis, the political career of Jeremy Corbyn will pass with barely any acknowledgement.  :bowler: