And we're back!

Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fate

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 25, 2020, 02:10:28 PM
Quote from: Fate on March 25, 2020, 02:08:30 PM
You don't get UI if you quit. You have to be laid off. No grocery store is going to lay people off today.

Exactly.  It's tantamount to slave labor.  It's like war time conscription, except you get paid shit and people sitting at home get a bonus.

It's service to the country in a time of national emergecy. And it's not like sitting at home is some easy task. People like alfred would pay thousands to get back to work. We do need to incentivize not working. It's kind of the point.

Iormlund

You don't get UI if you quit. You have to be laid off. No grocery store is going to lay people off today.

Exactly.  It's tantamount to slave labor.  It's like war time conscription, except you get paid shit and people sitting at home get a bonus.

I don't quite follow. Are you arguing the people whose jobs are in a limbo and might never come back are too fortunate?

fromtia

It's tantamount to slave labor.  It's like war time conscription, except you get paid shit and people sitting at home get a bonus.

Settle down Rand Paul :lol:
"Just be nice" - James Dalton, Roadhouse.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Iormlund on March 25, 2020, 02:14:59 PM
I don't quite follow. Are you arguing the people whose jobs are in a limbo and might never come back are too fortunate?

No, I'm arguing that those people who, by the nature of their job, are exposed to higher risks are performing a desperately needed public service and shouldn't be penalized for doing so.

fromtia

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 25, 2020, 02:20:51 PM

No, I'm arguing that those people who, by the nature of their job, are exposed to higher risks are performing a desperately needed public service and shouldn't be penalized for doing so.

Do you think we would be better off with some form of UBI, or did you like the one time $1200 advance?

Fate

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 25, 2020, 02:20:51 PM

The grocery store clerk who gets sick will have an ICU bed and a ventilator available because fromtia and the millions of others like him are staying at home because they're able to pay rent, put food on the table, and keep the rate of spread down.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Fate on March 25, 2020, 02:23:19 PM
The grocery store clerk who gets sick will have an ICU bed and a ventilator available because fromtia and the millions of others like him are staying at home because they're able to pay rent, put food on the table, and keep the rate of spread down.

:contract:

Razgovory

It is like war time conscription, because we are in a national emergency.  If you wish to increase the minimum wage while this is going on, I'm cool with it.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on March 25, 2020, 02:26:14 PM
It is like war time conscription, because we are in a national emergency.  If you wish to increase the minimum wage while this is going on, I'm cool with it.

Then it's only fair we all be subject to the draft.  Everyone takes a week working in a grocery store.

Fate

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 25, 2020, 02:28:17 PM

Then it's only fair we all be subject to the draft.  Everyone takes a week working in a grocery store.

The draft wasn't fair either. The upper and middle classes avoided it, women were excluded, and the poor bore the brunt of it.

fromtia

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 25, 2020, 02:28:17 PM

Be happy to. I love grocery stores. Especially Publix. I already tried applying last week, but the hundred thousand other unemployed waiters must have been quicker off the mark.

Josquius

Quote from: DGuller on March 25, 2020, 12:40:05 PM
I wonder if it would make sense to draft low risk people to be infected right now, all at the same time?  :ph34r: They'll do their 14 days in isolation and then take themselves out of the pool of potential super-spreaders.
It's not a huge amount in the grand scheme of things. But still, I've read of more than a few cases of young healthy people catching it and dying.

So count me out.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Fate on March 25, 2020, 02:30:02 PM
The draft wasn't fair either. The upper and middle classes avoided it, women were excluded, and the poor bore the brunt of it.

The draft in WWII was pretty fair.  To claim that drafts can be unfair, therefore we should be unfair, is a pretty lame argument.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: fromtia on March 25, 2020, 02:30:15 PM
Be happy to. I love grocery stores. Especially Publix. I already tried applying last week, but the hundred thousand other unemployed waiters must have been quicker off the mark.

Apply later when people are getting that 600/week top up.

Fate

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 25, 2020, 02:32:55 PM
Quote from: Fate on March 25, 2020, 02:30:02 PM

The draft in WWII was pretty fair.  To claim that drafts can be unfair, therefore we should be unfair, is a pretty lame argument.

Let's be realistic. Donald Trump and Mitch McConnel would never sign a law where the Donald Trump Jrs of the world had to spend a week bagging groceries during a deadly pandemic.