News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Legbiter

Here they're going to roll out an app which tracks your movements to help with contact tracing/quarantine early next week. It is kindly suggested you install it, aiming for at least 60% having it on their phones.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Legbiter on March 25, 2020, 12:31:30 PM
Here they're going to roll out an app which tracks your movements to help with contact tracing/quarantine early next week.

Voluntary or mandatory?

Legbiter

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 25, 2020, 12:32:25 PM
Quote from: Legbiter on March 25, 2020, 12:31:30 PM
Here they're going to roll out an app which tracks your movements to help with contact tracing/quarantine early next week.

Voluntary or mandatory?

Sorry just edited that, voluntary but you'll be seen as an agent of Nurgle if you don't have it.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

DGuller

I wonder if it would make sense to draft low risk people to be infected right now, all at the same time?  :ph34r: They'll do their 14 days in isolation and then take themselves out of the pool of potential super-spreaders.

alfred russel

Quote from: DGuller on March 25, 2020, 12:40:05 PM
I wonder if it would make sense to draft low risk people to be infected right now, all at the same time?  :ph34r: They'll do their 14 days in isolation and then take themselves out of the pool of potential super-spreaders.

I would sign up in a heartbeat.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Iormlund

Quote from: Fate on March 25, 2020, 11:49:54 AM
Quote from: Zanza on March 25, 2020, 11:16:19 AM
Antibody tests would be a game changer as it would allow to find all the hidden asymptomatic cases.

Also those people with antibodies can go back to work.

That would really be key for me. I suspect I already had the virus, but being inmunocompromised I can't risk going back to work until I know for sure or I'm vaccinated.

And on that topic, I'm back with the same symptoms again: sore throat, cough, low grade fever. Much less severe than in February, though. I suspect whatever bug I have is resurfacing after I take the medication (injected two days ago, got fever back again last night).

Admiral Yi

That would really be the best of all possible worlds, to know you've already had it, are no longer contagious, and are immune now.

merithyn

Even the light cases aren't fun, but yeah, something like this seems kind of logical.

I mean, isn't that what that party in Kentucky was? A bunch of low-risk teens/early 20s people spreading it around each other?

By the way, that was the point of the Chicken Pox parties from days of old.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Caliga

Quote from: merithyn on March 25, 2020, 12:50:51 PM
I mean, isn't that what that party in Kentucky was? A bunch of low-risk teens/early 20s people spreading it around each other?
Yep.  Governor Beshear was = displeased.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Fate

I am looking at my hospital census right now and I see quite a few 20-50 year olds who are intubated in the ICU with COVID-19. Just because you're unlikely to die doesn't mean you can't get extremely sick.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: merithyn on March 25, 2020, 12:50:51 PM

I'm guessing that party was about getting fucked up and getting some action.  Also don't think the attendees burrowed into self quarantine right after the party.

Fate

Quote from: alfred russel on March 25, 2020, 12:43:53 PM

Do not do this.

Barrister

Low risk people aren't zero risk.  Many of those who do survive will need significant medical assistance, including ICU.  There's still the risk about overwhelming hospitals.  It does strike young people too.

I know - waiting sucks, we all want this to be over.  But we just have to be patient.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

alfred russel

Quote from: Fate on March 25, 2020, 12:54:14 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on March 25, 2020, 12:43:53 PM

Do not do this.

My life expectancy is probably about 40 years. If this lasts 6 months, that is over 1% of my remaining life expectancy, and the most valuable part of it (considering my health will be declining going forward).

I put the value of living my life like this at absolute 0.

The math looks reasonable to me.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Admiral Yi

Quote from: alfred russel on March 25, 2020, 01:04:30 PM
My life expectancy is probably about 40 years. If this lasts 6 months, that is over 1% of my remaining life expectancy, and the most valuable part of it (considering my health will be declining going forward).

I put the value of living my life like this at absolute 0.

The math looks reasonable to me.

Do you promise not to call 911 if things go sideways?