News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Straight line out from Oregon intersects the US ICU line (rough proxy for Italy) around 26 days out by my eyeballing.

mongers

Quote from: DGuller on March 24, 2020, 10:00:35 PM
Quote from: merithyn on March 24, 2020, 09:51:18 PM
Can someone do the math for me? Based on those charts, how long until Oregon hits Lombardy numbers? In days, please.
Assuming exponential growth, at present rate, it'll take 19 days to reach all of Italy as of today.  Not sure what the Lombardy number is.

Yes it's not looking too bad for Meri, even Washington is 11 days off of today's Italian level.

And as you imply Oregon looks like a good week behind Washington, so the 19 or so days is enough time to allow a forward thinking Oregon governor to start a lock-down today and be flattening the curve a bit before it hits Italian levels.

But delay more than three days and any advantage is lost as Italy is on day 15 or 16 of their lock-down.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

merithyn

We're in a shelter-in-place right now, but few people are following it, so I'm going to guess we're not going to see that low number. Based on what you guys are saying, it's looking like around April 19th is the date to watch. Then what? Six weeks?

So, Oregon will be under water basically April 19 - May 31. Ish. Based on current trajectory.

:cry: :weep:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

mongers

Quote from: merithyn on March 24, 2020, 10:12:34 PM
We're in a shelter-in-place right now, but few people are following it, so I'm going to guess we're not going to see that low number. Based on what you guys are saying, it's looking like around April 19th is the date to watch. Then what? Six weeks?

So, Oregon will be under water basically April 19 - May 31. Ish. Based on current trajectory.

:console:

Meri, I'm only 90 miles from a city of 8- 9million that is set to implode over the next two weeks, as no-one seems to have a grip on slowing the bloody place down, we'll be overwhelmed by refugees in a month or two's time.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

DGuller

I think a lot can change in 19 days.  For the last couple of weeks, it feels like every few days bring forth a different world that you couldn't imagine just days ago.  I wouldn't rely too much on extrapolation holding up 19 days into the future.

merithyn

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Grinning_Colossus

Quote from: Maladict on March 24, 2020, 11:27:16 AM
Good luck enforcing that  :lol:

Here in Sri Lanka, the police have already arrested thousands for breaking the 24-hour curfew.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 24, 2020, 06:38:21 PM
Quote from: Legbiter on March 24, 2020, 04:49:29 PM
Indian police enforcing lockdown.  :menace:  :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ftUruURElk
Meanwhile in London:
https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1242573124786413569?s=20

Pleased they're still at the persuade and police with consent, not enforce stage.

Seems like a nonsense phrase to me. I can think of a significant chunk of people who wouldnt say they have ever been policed with consent.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: mongers on March 24, 2020, 10:16:40 PM

:console:

Meri, I'm only 90 miles from a city of 8- 9million that is set to implode over the next two weeks, as no-one seems to have a grip on slowing the bloody place down, we'll be overwhelmed by refugees in a month or two's time.

Are we going to walk out of the city? :unsure:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Richard Hakluyt

I'm very unsure about the wisdom of the 21-day lockdown in India, at least without arrangements to feed the masses. Put simply there may be too many incredibly poor people for it to be possible.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-52002734

Maladict

Government is saying we're already flattening the curve, number of comfirmed cases is dropping. Given we have the least restrictive measures in all of Europe and aren't testing on any serious scale, I'm somewhat skeptical.

Sheilbh

Quote from: garbon on March 25, 2020, 02:09:44 AM
Seems like a nonsense phrase to me. I can think of a significant chunk of people who wouldnt say they have ever been policed with consent.
Fair, but it's the principle and the theory behind policing in the UK - which I think we should be trying to expand to all communities.

But that's sort of my fear is you've got police with a new power and a new thing to enforce - and I don't trust them to not abuse that, because I think unless they're on a pretty tight leash, the police abuse all of their powers. I don't want to see them roaming around the streets looking to enforce this against people - luckily there seems to be a bit of reluctance and a lack of resource to do that, yet.

Edit: Fast forward three months when the Tories decide Johnson's not got a grip of this and we're being addressed by Prime Minister Rishi Sunak and a group of generals :lol: :ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

Quote from: Maladict on March 25, 2020, 05:08:20 AM
Government is saying we're already flattening the curve, number of comfirmed cases is dropping. Given we have the least restrictive measures in all of Europe and aren't testing on any serious scale, I'm somewhat skeptical.

What is with every single government trying to downplay this until it explodes in their faces? It drives me nuts.

Zanza

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on March 25, 2020, 03:58:14 AM
I'm very unsure about the wisdom of the 21-day lockdown in India, at least without arrangements to feed the masses. Put simply there may be too many incredibly poor people for it to be possible.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-52002734
What I wonder about in Germany and even more so in India is what the exit strategy is. How do we go from full on lock down to something sustainable that keeps the economy alive? I don't see such a plan here and I doubt that India has such a plan. Without such a plan, the current drastic measures may be for naught though if we cannot use the won time to create ways to fight the virus short of full economic meltdown.