News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

The local newspaper ran an article saying that Oregon is going to be in deep shit (using better language) when this hits us because of the way the medical systems run things out here. Basically, they funnel most ED and hospital illnesses to convenient care, so have diminished the number of ED and hospital beds. We're below the national average of 2.4 beds/1000 to 2.2 beds/1000 in Portland, and 2.1 beds/1000 outside the Portland metro area.

We're also not testing. I think we're one of the states with the lowest number of tests reported. So we have no real idea of where things stand.

Yup. I'll be staying in my apartment for a good long while, thankyouverymuch. This is going to get far worse here before it gets better.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Agelastus

Quote from: Tamas on March 24, 2020, 06:27:09 AM
There's no way that so many timeslots got booked in such a small timeframe. They must be prioritising more vulnerable age group users to see them as available. They do mention that if I disagree about my status being non-vulnerable I should contact them.

Perhaps you want to check if Tesco has similar policies?

As an update to this, my 78 year old Aunt (in a high risk group) and my even older Uncle can't get slots either.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

alfred russel

Quote from: Fate on March 24, 2020, 01:39:54 PM

How often do you hear about news stories where the local hospital has no PPE to protect its staff or of a wealthy place like Lombardia (or NYC in 10 days) where they're unable to give ventilators to all patients who need them?

This is orders of magnitude different than any normal week at a busy inner city hospital.

My point wasn't that this is unusual, it was that it doesn't take much out of the ordinary to push the system over the limit.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Sheilbh

First time I've seen it - but some Tories discussing if they will need a "Covid coalition" government of national unity with Labour and possibly the Lib Dems. In part this is driven by the extraordinary powers the government are seeking to respond to this crisis and the sense that perhaps it's inappropriate for a government of one party.
QuoteGeorge Freeman, a former minister in Johnson's government, was the first to break cover to say a "Covid coalition" government may be "unavoidable" and some other Tory MPs privately believe the prime minister will need cross-party governing consensus if emergency measures are to continue for months.

Freeman told the Guardian: "The scale of this national emergency – the suspension of usual freedoms and democracy, the economic consequences and the likely loss of tens of thousands of lives – demands a suspension of politics as usual.

"When Labour have a sensible new leader, Keir Starmer [if elected] should be invited to Covid cabinet, Cobra and joint No 10 briefings."/quote]
It makes sense for me - I'm very uncomfortable with the direction of these restrictions even if they are necessary so feel a cross-party government may be necessary.

Apparently none of the Labour candidates have ruled it out - though Lisa Nandy's proposing a "national COBRA" so you have opposition figures, unions, business groups and some wise men like Gordon Brown in the COBRA meetings rather than a formal coalition and cabinet reshuffle, which she argues is probably not helpful from an organisational perspective. This might be a more immediately workable idea.
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Quote from: Agelastus on March 24, 2020, 02:22:32 PM
Quote from: Tamas on March 24, 2020, 06:27:09 AM
There's no way that so many timeslots got booked in such a small timeframe. They must be prioritising more vulnerable age group users to see them as available. They do mention that if I disagree about my status being non-vulnerable I should contact them.

Perhaps you want to check if Tesco has similar policies?

As an update to this, my 78 year old Aunt (in a high risk group) and my even older Uncle can't get slots either.
Maybe try Iceland - they can't police it so it relies on honour and not being a dick, but their delivery service says it is only for the elderly, vulnerable and self-isolating.
Let's bomb Russia!

Richard Hakluyt

My mother has refused to engage with the internet and is housebound, so once a week I phone her and she says what she wants and I order it. With 50 orders a year she got a delivery pass and I have been able to set up a recurring slot for her which, fingers crossed, means that I'll be able to get her weekly order delivered to her.

@Age....You may want to look into something similar for vulnerable elderly relatives.

Threviel

Quote from: celedhring on March 24, 2020, 02:18:41 PM
Quote from: Threviel on March 24, 2020, 02:06:47 PM
I heard on the rumour mill that Barcelona is especially unsafe nowadays. Supposedly the criminals that normally target tourists are desperate and Barcelona is outright dangerous at night, even for the natives.

You might want to stop buying flour from that particular mill. Crime has fallen 70% since the quarantine began. For obvious reasons.

Thanks.

Agelastus

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on March 24, 2020, 02:47:37 PM
@Age....You may want to look into something similar for vulnerable elderly relatives.

Slightly inappropriate but :lol:

My Aunt and Uncle (the only elderly relatives I have within my very limited family circle) are, due to age and my Aunt's pacemaker in a high risk group.

They are most emphatically not "vulnerable"; I only wish I will be half as active and clued-in as they are when I hit their age.

[Unfortunately, I am not related by blood to my Uncle Tony; a shame as he looks 20 years younger than he is. My blood relative is my Aunt...who before the crisis went swimming every morning and played on a local bowls team.]
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

Richard Hakluyt

celedhring

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on March 24, 2020, 02:47:37 PM
My mother has refused to engage with the internet and is housebound, so once a week I phone her and she says what she wants and I order it. With 50 orders a year she got a delivery pass and I have been able to set up a recurring slot for her which, fingers crossed, means that I'll be able to get her weekly order delivered to her.

Yeah, I do the same for my parents. The supermarket where they usually do their groceries (which is actually quite far from where they live), has a delivery service and they give priority to vulnerable people. Once a week, I go there, buy all the stuff for them, and they deliver it.

Josquius

Those are the worst ones. Those in vulnerable groups to the virus but quite proud and healthy otherwise.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tyr on March 24, 2020, 03:22:35 PM
Those are the worst ones. Those in vulnerable groups to the virus but quite proud and healthy otherwise.
Yeah. Got a message from a friend who called her nan after Johnson's announcement last night. Apparently she offered to go to the newsagent every morning to get her morning paper instead and her nan was like "no thanks".

I think she said she told her that it wasn't a question or an offer :lol:

But it is really sad that we have to be asking the elderly, especially those who are still active - and rightly proud of their independence - that they have to give that up :(
Let's bomb Russia!

Agelastus

As I believe I mentioned, my Aunt (ex-nurse) and my Uncle (ex-Chemist and teacher) isolated themselves a week or more ago while I was still taking the risk of visiting my mother. No swimming, no bowls, no unnecessary trips etc.

Anyway, they've made as many arrangements as they can, even taking advantage of the paper shop offering to deliver basic groceries with the paper.

It's a shame he didn't show up today, apparently; given the length of time he's been doing it as I understand it one can only assume he's self-isolating. :(
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

Maladict

Belgian authorities closed half of a clothing store in Baarle-Nassau, because the border runs through it.  :lol:

celedhring

:lol:

Really highlights how much we've taken "no borders" for granted.