News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 21, 2020, 04:10:51 PM
Indeed, some appear not to be aware of the AMA decision in their own country.  Since we are generally talking about the US and it was a statement made by a US doctor being questioned, I would have thought the AMA would be persuasive.  But, to bring this back to the topic at hand, health issues appear to be all about politics in your country.

Indeed, some appear to be unaware that the AMA designation went against their own scientific panel's recommendations, and that the AMA isn't the authoritative body in any case.
QuoteThe American Medical Association (AMA) recently classified obesity a disease, defining obesity as having a Body Mass Index (BMI) measure above 30.1 This decision went against the advice of its own Public Health and Science Committee, and has sparked widespread discontent and discussion amongst medical and healthcare communities. The fact that this classification has been made has potential ramifications for health care around the world, and many factors need to be considered in deciding whether the decision to make obesity a disease is in fact appropriate.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4259211/#R12

That same editorial's conclusion:
QuoteObesity has reached pandemic proportions, is strongly associated with myriad co-morbid complications, and is leading to a progressive economic and social burden. However, being obese does not necessarily equate to poor health, and evidence suggests individuals may be fat but fit. Perhaps most importantly, labelling obesity a disease may absolve personal responsibility and encourage a hands-off approach to health behaviour. This knowledge raises the question of morality, as individuals must now choose whether they will invest effort into maintaining a healthy lifestyle in order to free society of the healthcare burden associated with obesity. Given the myriad issues surrounding the decision to classify obesity in this way, perhaps a new question should be posed in order for society to continue this discussion: who benefits most from labelling obesity a disease?

None of this changes the fact that obesity is a contributing factor to the dangers of Covid19, of course, but it is always important to distinguish science from virtue-signalling.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

Quote from: mongers on March 21, 2020, 06:44:17 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on March 21, 2020, 06:08:06 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on March 20, 2020, 10:05:36 PM
77 new cases in BC 348 total

Nine people have died, including eight in one old age home. Twenty-two people are now in hospital, with 10 in intensive care. Six people have fully recovered

There are 74 new confirmed cases and 5 additional hospitalizations.  424 total confirmed cases with 27 total in hospital and 12 in ICU.  10 deaths in total.

Here in England the authorities aren't giving details of critical, nos in ICU and crucially ICU/ventilator occupancy rates. Journalist have been asking for the details.

Broadly your figures seem in line with the UKs around at 10th or less of the ours, so I'm assuming BC population is about 5million?

If you compare major population centers, Greater Vancouver is closing in on 3M and Google tells me London is about 9M

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on March 21, 2020, 08:08:55 PM
None of this changes the fact that obesity is a contributing factor to the dangers of Covid19, of course, but it is always important to distinguish science from virtue-signalling.

What does referring to the simple fact the AMA has identified obesity to be a disease have to do with virtue signaling, or has that term lost meaning in the US culture wars too?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Zoupa on March 21, 2020, 04:38:58 PM
Quote from: DGuller on March 21, 2020, 12:05:41 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on March 21, 2020, 10:41:39 AM
Obesity doesn't just mean overweight.

Obesity is by definition a chronic medical condition.  There is by definition no such thing as a heathy obese person.
That's a meaningless tautology.  You can define having a broken nail as a disease, and thus by definition no one with a broken nail is a healthy person.  The utility of such definitions for discussing risks of complications from COVID-19 is limited.

In the comorbidity risk factors, obesity is right there. Why are we even discussing this?It's fucking science.

This is no thread for science.  :mad:

:D

mongers

Whilst a sensible thing to consider, I think this plays into the Brexiter's hand and I can see some politicians using for their own political ends or just plain French bashing.

France's Macron threatened UK entry ban without more stringent measures: report

French President Emmanuel Macron threatened to close France's border with Britain on Friday if Prime Minister Boris Johnson failed to take more stringent measures to contain the coronavirus outbreak, a French newspaper reported.

Source: Reuters
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 21, 2020, 09:32:01 PM
Perfectly justified and reasonable.

Well if a laissez-faire Johnsonian UK becomes a well of disease that would threaten to reinfect European countries that have taken the most stringent measure, then yes it would be reasonable.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: mongers on March 21, 2020, 09:37:53 PM
Well if a laissez-faire Johnsonian UK becomes a well of disease that would threaten to reinfect European countries that have taken the most stringent measure, then yes it would be reasonable.

If they waited two weeks for asymptomatic cases to turn symptomatic, it would no longer be as reasonable.

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 21, 2020, 09:41:14 PM
Quote from: mongers on March 21, 2020, 09:37:53 PM

If they waited two weeks for asymptomatic cases to turn symptomatic, it would no longer be as reasonable.

The UK should have brought in French type measures start of this week, so give Johnson the weekend to think it over and impose the travel restrictions Monday noon, fair enough?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: mongers on March 21, 2020, 09:46:56 PM
The UK should have brought in French type measures start of this week, so give Johnson the weekend to think it over and impose the travel restrictions Monday noon, fair enough?

Depends.  Is there totally free movement right now?  Only essential movement should be taking place right now, and that includes cross border travel.

Fate

NYC is an impending disaster. I think the government needs a implement a mandatory draft of all ICU staff from across the country where we don't have significant outbreaks to staff make-shift ICUs in the hot zones.

DGuller

NY may be higher, but NJ reached Italy level earlier.  :mad:

Admiral Yi

I thought California had more than that.

Fate

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 21, 2020, 10:32:16 PM
I thought California had more than that.

The Y axis is case density log scale, not absolute values.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Fate on March 21, 2020, 10:33:37 PM
The Y axis is case density log scale, not absolute values.

I get that.  I'm trying to save key strokes.