News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oexmelin

Yeah, his life in Belize was basically the standard plot of the FarCry games.
Que le grand cric me croque !

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

mongers

I think we might need some form of food rationing soon here.

In this affluent area, the food shops are more than half empty and each day a different food group seems to suddenly be in demand; today tea had sold out, why can people eat it? Are we going to revert to being a nation of tea drinkers?

I think poor people and those with modest incomes or limited shopping times are going to be suffering as compared to people who turn up and filling their large cars with whatever they can get.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

PDH

Costco here is already rationing toilet paper.  Only two packs per person.  That means the poor hoarders only get 80 rolls per trip.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

mongers

Quote from: PDH on March 17, 2020, 08:34:19 PM
Costco here is already rationing toilet paper.  Only two packs per person.  That means the poor hoarders only get 80 rolls per trip.

What's with that shit?

Josephus

I'm having a real hard time finding any toilet paper. I've got two rolls left.  :huh:
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

mongers

Quote from: Josephus on March 17, 2020, 08:37:59 PM
I'm having a real hard time finding any toilet paper. I've got two rolls left.  :huh:

You're a journalist, newspaper copy has other uses.  :P

11B4V

Quote from: Josephus on March 17, 2020, 08:37:59 PM

You snooze, you loose.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

jimmy olsen

Wonder if I will get a check sent to my parents house?  :hmm:

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

mongers

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 17, 2020, 08:59:20 PM
Wonder if I will get a check sent to my parents house?  :hmm:

Is the UPS shutting up shop or are you worried about mail not going on flights?

Monoriu

I have more than 120 rolls of toilet paper right now :yeah:

Oexmelin

I can't decide whether it it because you are an asshole, or because you are full of shit.
Que le grand cric me croque !

mongers

Quote from: Oexmelin on March 17, 2020, 10:24:02 PM
I can't decide whether it it because you are an asshole, or because you are full of shit.

Or maybe he likes fire hazards; can you imagine the effects of those going up in a modest high-rise flat?

Admiral Yi

It's the basic prisoner's dilemma.  Without a basic level of trust that the other players will cooperate, the rational choice will always be to hoard.

It would make a for a good graduate thesis: overbuying of toilet paper as a proxy for low levels of social cohesion/social capital.

frunk

I heard recently that toilet paper is one of the most consistent and least vulnerable to supply chain problem commodities out there.  Due to its bulk (therefore cost of delivery), simplicity of manufacture and the constancy of demand almost nowhere in the US is more than a one day truck drive from a tp factory.  It also means they aren't set up to increase production quickly, but unless there's hoarding there's no reason for shortages whatsoever.