News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 02, 2020, 12:27:07 PM
In religious crazies being crazy, a BJP MP has noted that when cow urine is sprayed it purifies an area and something similar could be done with cow dung. He proposes cow dung and urine to cure coronavirus.

Which is an opinion :mellow:

My Indian colleague mentioned it and was quite embarrassed about it.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

merithyn

Quote from: Legbiter on March 01, 2020, 06:13:50 PM
I've talked to several people going on holidays and none of them are canceling. It hasn't sunk in yet.

I have four friends who had planned a trip to Greece at the beginning of April. They are right now trying to decide what to do. They're all in their 40s and 50s and healthy folks. The bigger problem is that one of them is a surgeon in a smallish city. If he goes to Greece, he'll have to be quarantined for three weeks after, which means one of very few surgeons will be out of commission for five weeks (two week vacation, three week quarantine). Based on that, they're leaning on cancelling for now.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

The Larch

Why does he have to be quarantined for three weeks? Greece doesn't have a significant amount of cases, only 7 it seems.

merithyn

Quote from: The Larch on March 02, 2020, 01:16:23 PM
Why does he have to be quarantined for three weeks? Greece doesn't have a significant amount of cases, only 7 it seems.

Because he's a surgeon.

Oh, they're also going to Vienna.

The Larch

Quote from: merithyn on March 02, 2020, 01:19:24 PM

Because he's a surgeon.

So any health professional who travels out of the US has to get quarantined when they get back?

celedhring

Regardless of my position, having to lock myself up for 3 weeks after a holiday trip would make me cancel it right away.  :hmm:

Barrister

Quote from: celedhring on March 02, 2020, 01:24:25 PM
Regardless of my position, having to lock myself up for 3 weeks after a holiday trip would make me cancel it right away.  :hmm:

I dunno - the idea of going on vacation, then relaxing at home for 3 weeks sounds appealing...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

merithyn

Quote from: The Larch on March 02, 2020, 01:20:54 PM
Quote from: merithyn on March 02, 2020, 01:19:24 PM

Because he's a surgeon.

So any health professional who travels out of the US has to get quarantined when they get back?

I don't know. I know that his hospital in Richland, WA, is requiring it of him as a surgeon.

merithyn

Quote from: Barrister on March 02, 2020, 01:25:26 PM

I dunno - the idea of going on vacation, then relaxing at home for 3 weeks sounds appealing...

Not if it means there are only a very few other people to pick up the slack, and there are potential lives at risk.

celedhring

It would drive me nuts. Plus I presume you'd have to cut yourself off from your family?

Barrister

Quote from: celedhring on March 02, 2020, 01:45:34 PM

It would drive me nuts. Plus I presume you'd have to cut yourself off from your family?

Again I can see some appeal there too. :D
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Maladict

Yeah, it would be a bonus, if anything.

dps

Quote from: merithyn on March 02, 2020, 01:26:43 PM

Not if it means there are only a very few other people to pick up the slack, and there are potential lives at risk.

Is that just a standing policy, or a response to the current virus outbreak?

The way you worded it in post #723 makes it sound like a standing policy (and The Larch's reply seem to indicate he took it to mean that) but in that case he would have presumably already taken that into account when planning the trip, and the current crisis wouldn't impact that part of the decision making process.

merithyn

Quote from: dps on March 02, 2020, 02:07:48 PM
Quote from: merithyn on March 02, 2020, 01:26:43 PM

Is that just a standing policy, or a response to the current virus outbreak?

The way you worded it in post #723 makes it sound like a standing policy (and The Larch's reply seem to indicate he took it to mean that) but in that case he would have presumably already taken that into account when planning the trip, and the current crisis wouldn't impact that part of the decision making process.

Response to the current virus outbreak, I assume. I don't know for sure, but he made it sound like a new thing directly related to where he's going.

Iormlund

I'd love to relax for a few weeks. I also like getting paid, though.