Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on December 05, 2021, 05:32:20 AM
https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1467200006813798403?s=20

Quote"The best vaccine we've found is Mother Nature's vaccine. It's contracting the virus" -- on OAN, Rep. Matt Gaetz cuts a promo for getting a disease that has killed about 775,000 Americans

Yeah this has been the position of anti-vaccine proponents for awhile. We are better off getting "natural" immunity. I always found that a weird position to take because history shows that sure once a disease has ravaged a population for awhile it will become immune...for awhile until the next generation comes up.

Why is that situation something we want to recreate? I don't know, but I am not interested in Mother Nature's vaccine. Fuck that.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Grey Fox

Quebec's statistical apparatus did a study on ~890 positive cases of November 30th. None of them were of the Omicron variant.

It fits the pattern of this pandemic so far in that the variants take a lot longer to take hold of.

Shit, it was true for previous pandemics too. Spanish flu had 4 waves in Quebec.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Tamas

Last time I looked we had 4 confirmed Omicron cases in the UK that's now up to over a 100. Whatever chance we had to sink this variant's boat in the Channel has passed, I think.

The Brain

Sweden is still hovering at daily deaths in the low single digits.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tamas

Quote from: The Brain on December 07, 2021, 11:40:59 AM

Not even a virus wants to be in Sweden.

The Brain

Quote from: Tamas on December 07, 2021, 12:05:47 PM
Quote from: The Brain on December 07, 2021, 11:40:59 AM

Not even a virus wants to be in Sweden.

This burn is sicker than the country.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on December 07, 2021, 11:28:00 AM
Last time I looked we had 4 confirmed Omicron cases in the UK that's now up to over a 100. Whatever chance we had to sink this variant's boat in the Channel has passed, I think.
Yeah I think Javid's said there's community spread.

I think border closures are useful but I remember that about a day after there were reports of omicron in Botswana and South Africa, that Belgium and Switzerland reported cases. So at that point I think it was pretty clear it had got everywhere.
Let's bomb Russia!

Barrister

There are 11 cases in Alberta as of yesterday.

Now all are either recent travellers from Africa or in a household with a recent traveller, but with that many cases already the idea of keeping it out entirely seems impossible.

Still though it is tracking so far to be a far less virulent than regular or delta strains, even if more transmissible.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 07, 2021, 12:30:22 PM
Quote from: Tamas on December 07, 2021, 11:28:00 AM
Yeah I think Javid's said there's community spread.

I think border closures are useful but I remember that about a day after there were reports of omicron in Botswana and South Africa, that Belgium and Switzerland reported cases. So at that point I think it was pretty clear it had got everywhere.

Closing borders at this point is like bolting the proverbial barn doors after the horses have bolted. It is pretty clear at this point that Omicron had already spread far beyond South Africa by the time it was identified.

I believe that the WHO has criticized the measures taken by some countries in this respect, like Japan's.

celedhring

"We are going to keep our vaccines, triple-dose on them AND you can't come in! Sorry!"

garbon

Such fun that the UK now requires a PCR test within 48 hours before entering England and another within 48 hours after entering England.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Larch on December 07, 2021, 12:48:55 PM
Closing borders at this point is like bolting the proverbial barn doors after the horses have bolted. It is pretty clear at this point that Omicron had already spread far beyond South Africa by the time it was identified.

I believe that the WHO has criticized the measures taken by some countries in this respect, like Japan's.
Sure but I'm not convinced the WHO or anyone in Europe or America is in a position to criticise Japan or China or Australia etc for their management of covid - a huge part of that has been border controls. We're still doing too much testing and not enough quarantining when people arrive.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 07, 2021, 01:03:38 PM
Quote from: The Larch on December 07, 2021, 12:48:55 PM

Sure but I'm not convinced the WHO or anyone in Europe or America is in a position to criticise Japan or China or Australia etc for their management of covid - a huge part of that has been border controls. We're still doing too much testing and not enough quarantining when people arrive.

I believe it also had to do with the fact that Japan was also mightily reluctant to employ the current vaccines until a study was performed in Japan itself, because basically they wouldn't trust any study not done by them.

Zanza

In Germany, a father shot his wife and their three daughters age 5 to 10 and then himself. According to a letter he left, the reason was that he had faked the vaccination certificate of his wife, her employer noticed and HR had asked the wife to explain herself. As per the letter, he feared that "they" would take away his children because of this. So he decided to murder them instead. In reality, the worst he faced was of course a fine for faking the certificate. This parallel reality anti-vax death cult is really bizarre and a threat to society by now. Innocents are dying, are murdered because of it.

Josquius

Quote from: garbon on December 07, 2021, 12:58:02 PM
Such fun that the UK now requires a PCR test within 48 hours before entering England and another within 48 hours after entering England.
And the nhs tests despite being perfectly good aren't valid. Kaching
██████
██████
██████