Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Boosters are meant to be in another vaccine as standard right?
A boostered person I know claims to have got 3 Pfizers
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Quote from: Tyr on November 30, 2021, 04:11:23 AM

I think they have to be different when you had an adenovirus one, but it's not a concern with RNA ones.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on November 30, 2021, 02:41:32 AM
That is good news on the boosters. The 6 month restriction really was a bad idea; get the boosters done before Christmas seems obvious to me  :hmm: . Perhaps a case of inappropriate penny-pinching?
So they aren't rolling them out fast enough as it is. There's about six million people who are eligible but haven't had their shot yet (which would take us up to about 20 million or most of the vulnerable groups). My view - from speaking to my parents - is they haven't emphasised how important this is. It's not just a "boost" to your immunity, it's essential for the vulnerable as we head into winter.

I think the six month restriction was the JCVI recommendation based on data of when the effectiveness started waning seriously which is at about the 5-6 month mark. And that makes some sense to me but they have changed their advice in response to omicron and the risk of another variant wave. But I think they felt that they should wait until effifiency properly started waning because that would probably maximise the effect/benefit of the third shot?

QuoteAnd on 6 months, I assume it was them trying to balance between when efficacy of 2nd jab waned enough to justify having 3rd jab vs eventual waning that might lead to 4th?
Yeah maybe - and they're already starting to roll out the 4th for the immunosuppressed.

QuoteBoosters are meant to be in another vaccine as standard right?
I don't think it's required I think it's more of a nice to have. So if you had Pfizer last time they're not going to turn you away just because that site has run out of Moderna.

But I think they are encouraging mix-and-match but it's less strictly enforced than getting the same dose for the first two jabs.
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Day 1 of mask mandate in UK looks like off to good start...
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 29, 2021, 08:31:32 PM

Edit: Oh and boosters are being moved up to 3 months after your second dose so I think over 40s are now eligible.

5 months here, but not just over 40s, everybody over 18 I believe.

Barrister

I believe Pfizer is the only approved booster shot right now.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on November 30, 2021, 03:31:46 PM

I believe Pfizer is the only approved booster shot right now.

That's not true for the UK or at least as a quick Google says
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

Quote from: garbon on November 30, 2021, 03:37:03 PM
That's not true for the UK or at least as a quick Google says
Yeah Pfizer or Moderna are approved - I think the intent is everyone gets a mix and match.

Quote5 months here, but not just over 40s, everybody over 18 I believe.
All over 40s are eligible so they can go to walk in centres, but the focus at the minute is on getting to the vulnerable - which I think is the right approach at the minute because the messaging has been weak there are still a lot of vulnerable people at risk.
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Is it messaging or shambles of actually inviting people to get jabbed? Anecdotally I feel like it has been more of the latter.

Grey Fox

In Canada, we seem to be focusing on vaccinating children not booster shots
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Sheilbh

Quote from: garbon on November 30, 2021, 03:46:00 PM
Is it messaging or shambles of actually inviting people to get jabbed? Anecdotally I feel like it has been more of the latter.
I think a bit of both. The invitations were definitely not working well in September or October (and I had mine way too early - although actually three months after my second dose so :hmm:). But it seems to be going better in November averaging over 350k a day, which we need to get up to 500k which is achievable but right now I'd focus on the most at risk at the expense of headline numbers. Once the immunosuppressed, over-50s and people with other illnesses are done I hope it ramps up to just a numbers game though.

But on comms, as I say my dad is eligible and has been invited many times but not able to go for reasons. My mum has followed the covid news pretty closely and was not aware of how important this dose is - she thought it was just a booster. So she basically thought it was helpful but not really essential. It really is essential and I don't think that message has been communicated or got through. Again anecdotal but I think that's also been a big problem.
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

https://twitter.com/TomiLahren/status/1465412021902626817?s=20

QuoteTomi Lahren
@TomiLahren
SPOILER ALERT: there will continue to be new COVID variants until we reach the final strain of the virus called COMMUNISM. Wake up Sheeple.
9:07 PM · Nov 29, 2021·Twitter for iPhone
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Agelastus

Quote from: garbon on November 30, 2021, 03:29:34 PM

Your experience in particular or the announcements by several supermarkets that they weren't going to enforce it?

My experience with public transport didn't seem too bad on my out-journey.

Then my evening one made me wonder if I'd missed them delaying the rule change. So...few...masks. :mad:
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

garbon

Quote from: Agelastus on November 30, 2021, 05:35:09 PM
Quote from: garbon on November 30, 2021, 03:29:34 PM

Your experience in particular or the announcements by several supermarkets that they weren't going to enforce it?

My experience with public transport didn't seem too bad on my out-journey.

Then my evening one made me wonder if I'd missed them delaying the rule change. So...few...masks. :mad:

Yeah my experience on public transport.

Jacob

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 30, 2021, 03:50:52 PM
In Canada, we seem to be focusing on vaccinating children not booster shots

Yeah. I think that's because we had a much longer period between first and second shots. Apparently if the shots were taken closely together (as per the pharmaco's initial recommendation) the efficacy wanes quicker than if you took longer in between. So we may not need the booster shots as soon as places where everyone got their shots as fast as possible.