Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Jacob on November 30, 2021, 06:09:05 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on November 30, 2021, 03:50:52 PM
In Canada, we seem to be focusing on vaccinating children not booster shots

Yeah. I think that's because we had a much longer period between first and second shots. Apparently if the shots were taken closely together (as per the pharmaco's initial recommendation) the efficacy wanes quicker than if you took longer in between. So we may not need the booster shots as soon as places where everyone got their shots as fast as possible.
The UK went with a three month gap between doses. It still wanes after about 5-6 months.

Israel experienced waning and moved quickly to booster shots in June-July which was 5-6 months after they did second doses on the three week schedule. We started seeing waning immunity here in September/October which was about 5-6 months after second doses started to be rolled out.

Not sure when Canada started rolling out second doses but I imagine the same will happen there and it's probably worth getting out ahead of it before it's really important because old people are losing their immunity and ending up in ICUs again (as happened in Israel and here). But, as I say, it seems like every government's known or should have known this since the data in Israel in June/July and very few governments seemed to have prepared for it :bleeding:
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

This thread needed a sewage water comeback. They have found traces of Omicron in Barcelona sewage collected last week.

Tamas

I appreciate trying to be careful with the Omicron variant but I wish the panic was dialed down a notch. As far as I know there's no evidence it is a more severe variant, and there's anecdotal indication it might be milder than delta.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Tamas on December 01, 2021, 09:16:54 AM
I appreciate trying to be careful with the Omicron variant but I wish the panic was dialed down a notch. As far as I know there's no evidence it is a more severe variant, and there's anecdotal indication it might be milder than delta.

Be patient for a week or 2, ffs. The climbing gyms can wait.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Grey Fox on December 01, 2021, 09:29:20 AM

Good God. Tamas, tamased :o
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 01, 2021, 09:57:03 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on December 01, 2021, 09:29:20 AM

Good God. Tamas, tamased :o

:lol:

My concern is that we probably all have a point where we turn into DRussel and give up on the whole idea of being responsible, and it is the responsibility of leaders but also the media to find the balance between warning and panic-mongering, to delay the point where society just accepts and gives up caring (if we haven't crossed that point yet).

alfred russel

Quote from: Tamas on December 01, 2021, 10:09:22 AM

My concern is that we probably all have a point where we turn into DRussel and give up on the whole idea of being responsible, and it is the responsibility of leaders but also the media to find the balance between warning and panic-mongering, to delay the point where society just accepts and gives up caring (if we haven't crossed that point yet).

I signed up for vaccination the day it became available, until that point wore masks in indoor public settings, and avoided public settings before vaccination unless it was really important to me. I never got covid.

Not sure how that correlates to giving up on the idea of being responsible: I think that if the general public followed my lead we probably would have been better off. If you want a languish posterchild for irresponsibility it really probably should be Berkut, who contracted covid while participating in an indoor team sport without full vaccination.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Maladict

Starting to get pretty annoyed with the utterly inept government.
We were too late to go to lockdown during the first wave. And every wave since.
We were the last European country to get started with vaccination, trailing even Bulgaria for months.
Then they decided kids don't need to get vaccinated, and now kids have created the fourth wave.
They decided pregnant women should be wary about vaccination, and now they're dying.
And guess who's dead last getting started on booster shots? Even though the stockpiles have been there since summer?

Of course, we're electing them back into office at the same time, so we're getting what we deserve.

Iormlund

Quote from: celedhring on December 01, 2021, 09:12:49 AM
This thread needed a sewage water comeback. They have found traces of Omicron in Barcelona sewage collected last week.

Time to enact Plan Tommassi. Sorry Celed, you'll be missed.   :cry:

Berkut

Quote from: alfred russel on December 01, 2021, 12:00:40 PM
Quote from: Tamas on December 01, 2021, 10:09:22 AM

I signed up for vaccination the day it became available, until that point wore masks in indoor public settings, and avoided public settings before vaccination unless it was really important to me.

Interesting. I did the exact same thing!
I never got covid.

Good for you!

If you want a languish posterchild for irresponsibility it really probably should be Berkut, who contracted covid while participating in an indoor team sport without full vaccination.

And now we see just how honest you are in your posting here at Languish.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

alfred russel

Quote from: Berkut on December 01, 2021, 03:58:29 PM

If you want a languish posterchild for irresponsibility it really probably should be Berkut, who contracted covid while participating in an indoor team sport without full vaccination.

Assuming you weren't lying about contracting covid while reffing a basketball game while not being fully vaccinated, I guess that means everyone is seeing I'm honest?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

mongers

Quote from: Maladict on December 01, 2021, 01:03:51 PM
Starting to get pretty annoyed with the utterly inept government.
We were too late to go to lockdown during the first wave. And every wave since.
We were the last European country to get started with vaccination, trailing even Bulgaria for months.
Then they decided kids don't need to get vaccinated, and now kids have created the fourth wave.
They decided pregnant women should be wary about vaccination, and now they're dying.
And guess who's dead last getting started on booster shots? Even though the stockpiles have been there since summer?

Of course, we're electing them back into office at the same time, so we're getting what we deserve.

:(

A sorry tale indeed.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Berkut

Quote from: alfred russel on December 01, 2021, 06:54:05 PM
Quote from: Berkut on December 01, 2021, 03:58:29 PM

Assuming you weren't lying about contracting covid while reffing a basketball game while not being fully vaccinated, I guess that means everyone is seeing I'm honest?

So doing the exact same thing you did (notice how you cut that out of your response, because you are a dishonest asshole) makes you the super responsible one and me the poster child for irresponsibility? I wore masks at all times in public, got vaccinated at the first chance (and in fact would NOT have been vaccinated and likely gotten much more ill had I not been officiating), and stayed away from public gatherings except where it was important to me, just like you claim.

And as I said at the time, I don't have any idea if I contracted it at that game anyway, which you perfectly well know. You could have gotten Covid just as easily as I did, you just happened to not.

What a fucking douchebag.

0 rows returned

alfred russel

Quote from: Berkut on December 02, 2021, 09:46:13 AM

So doing the exact same thing you did (notice how you cut that out of your response, because you are a dishonest asshole) makes you the super responsible one and me the poster child for irresponsibility? I wore masks at all times in public, got vaccinated at the first chance (and in fact would NOT have been vaccinated and likely gotten much more ill had I not been officiating), and stayed away from public gatherings except where it was important to me, just like you claim.

I cut that out of your response because it was irrelevant. The subset of behaviors we both shared is irrelevant to an assessment of the relative responsibility of our actions.

And as I said at the time, I don't have any idea if I contracted it at that game anyway, which you perfectly well know. You could have gotten Covid just as easily as I did, you just happened to not.

What a fucking douchebag.

You miserable piece of shit liar! This is what you said at the time...you didn't only say had an idea that you got it at the game, you said you did get it at the game, and showing your true character blamed kids for getting covid rather than taking responsibility for your getting covid while you participated in an extremely high risk activity.

Quote from: BerkutI feel lucky that being a sports official meant I got the vaccine, and then unlucky that being a sports official then meant I got Covid from some dumb kids who refused to wear a mask properly during the game (don't get me started on that).

Berkut

Yes, it is clear I can definitely state exactly where I got a virus, and I am sure your selective quote is the ONLY thing I've ever posted on where I contracted the virus.

You are the reason people don't want to share personal shit on Languish. You have no integrity, honesty, or basic human empathy. You are the very definition of a giant douchebag.

0 rows returned