Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

I was at the grocery store yesterday and saw that they had PCR self tests for sale. $4 for a pack of 2.

I was tempted to buy a couple packs "just because".
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Zanza

A PCR self test instead of the usual lateral flow self tests? Normally for PCR, you need a machine as the process needs thermal cycling... how is that solved?

Sheilbh

Boosters/third doses are essential and should be the focus of every government right now:
QuoteBecky Quick
@BeckyQuick
Significant breaking news: Pfizer says 3 doses of its current Covid vaccine (2 original shots plus booster) provide as much protection vs Omicron as 2 shots provided against the original variant. Dow futures spike to up 140.
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Just had a colleague who is 37 in NE London get contacted by their GP to get a vaccine and has appt now for Saturday.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

End of lockdown vs case incidence in Austria:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

That far west bit... They wanted to join Switzerland once.
Are they ultra conservative liberal smooth brains like the forest cantons?
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Quote from: Tyr on December 09, 2021, 05:32:38 AM
That far west bit... They wanted to join Switzerland once.
Are they ultra conservative liberal smooth brains like the forest cantons?

It's firmly ÖVP country, so conservative, but not FPÖ-style, similar to Upper/Lower Austria and Tyrol (Styria, Burgenland, Salzburg, Kärnten are a bit more pluralistic). Results of the most recent state elections in 2019:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sheilbh

Obviously very early days - and it may mainly be infecting young people. But these charts from South Africa look promising about the impact of omicron (obviously if it's more transmissible it will find the unvaccinated quicker but a milder variant crowding out delta would probably still be good right?):

Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

Quotebut a milder variant crowding out delta would probably still be good right?

That's my hope for sure.

Valmy

Well each variant should be more infectious but also less deadly as the pandemic goes on right?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

Quote from: Valmy on December 10, 2021, 09:05:17 AM
Well each variant should be more infectious but also less deadly as the pandemic goes on right?
Correct.  That's how most viruses evolve.  They don't care about killing their hosts, they just want to survive.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

DGuller

I've read multiple virologists being annoyed that this myth exists.  They said that there is no evolutionary pressure to make the virus less lethal.

Josquius

Quote from: DGuller on December 10, 2021, 10:41:19 AM
I've read multiple virologists being annoyed that this myth exists.  They said that there is no evolutionary pressure to make the virus less lethal.
How's that?
Logically it makes sense. Avoid killing your host and your chances of survival and reproduction are boosted no?
██████
██████
██████

HVC

killing is not a problem, killing before you transmit is. a hosts immune system would kick in after a while and stop the virus anyway (in most non lethal cases), so from a virus' perspective it doesn't matter if the host is immune or dead.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

celedhring

Quote from: Tyr on December 10, 2021, 11:11:16 AM
Quote from: DGuller on December 10, 2021, 10:41:19 AM
How's that?
Logically it makes sense. Avoid killing your host and your chances of survival and reproduction are boosted no?

I'm no expert, but I suppose the advantage is gained by not incapacitating your hosts too quickly so they can spread the virus around. Usually that translates to being less lethal but not necessarily so.