Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

By the time Covid hosts are dead, they stop being infectious some time ago.  There is definitely evolutionary pressure to not kill the host 5 seconds after exposure, but evolution doesn't care about what happens to you after your immune system kicks in enough to stop you infecting others.  To the extent that higher viral loads help the transmission during the initial stage of the infection, there may actually be an evolutionary pressure to make the virus more deadly.

Berkut

Also, what is the reproductive time frame of a virus anyway?

I can't imagine there could be much significant evolutionary pressure on a trait that doesn't manifest itself for a couple hundred generations later...
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Tamas

Yeah I guess if this evolutionary "pressure" exists it's probably measured in decades.

But then again we can just strike lucky can't we?

I think it seems now almost certain that omicron has an easier time spreading/infecting than delta right? So the fact that at the very least it hasn't shown any signs of being more dangerous/lethal, and possibly it is less so, must be a good thing.

Zanza

The virus replicates billions of times in a single host within days and can mutate easily in these billions of replications. If there is a mutation with higher fitness, it will express itself fast. That's why we've seen so many variants and why even the globally dominant variant has already changed multiple times since the initial outbreak. It clearly does not take decades. The evolutionary pressure of the virus is much higher as its replication rate is on a completely different scale than humans or other higher organisms.

alfred russel

Quote from: Berkut on December 10, 2021, 11:40:28 AM
Also, what is the reproductive time frame of a virus anyway?

I can't imagine there could be much significant evolutionary pressure on a trait that doesn't manifest itself for a couple hundred generations later...

file this under, "tell me you don't understand evolution and natural selection without telling me you don't understand evolution and natural selection."
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Valmy

Quote from: DGuller on December 10, 2021, 10:41:19 AM
I've read multiple virologists being annoyed that this myth exists.  They said that there is no evolutionary pressure to make the virus less lethal.

Ah, well inadvertently spreading misinformation is kind of my role as a clueless person.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

Genuine question - there was huge entrepreneurial state action around vaccines. Countries were spending money on buying big stocks to de-risk, helping set up manufacturing, there was a clear focus from regulators on being procedurally flexible/helpful to review vaccines and get them approved quickly.

Why hasn't that stuff happened with the anti-viral treatments? There's one from Merck (approved in the UK but not as far as I'm aware rolled out) that causes a 50% reduction in the number suffering severe cases, there's one from Pfizer where they had to stop the trial for ethical reasons because the results were so good. But it just feels like there's far less energy around the treatments, which seems crazy given that, especially in combination with people who have a high level of protection from the vaccines, it seems like they could make a huge difference.
Let's bomb Russia!

jimmy olsen

This is the first really big wave that has put pressure on the health care system here in S. Korea.

7k cases a day now.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Sheilbh

Interesting from Professor Francois Balloux - an epidemiologist who I started following in the very first wave:
QuoteProf Francois Balloux
@BallouxFrancois
Today's South African COVID-19 numbers are in, with a overall decrease in case numbers, despite a substantial increase in the number of tests performed, and a dramatic decrease in test positivity (-28% from yesterday; -45% from two days ago).
1/
The Omicron outbreak in SA with its extraordinary fast rise, and apparently nearly equally fast fall, is one of the most mind-boggling things I've ever seen during my career as an infectious disease epidemiologist.
2/

Again early days and it may turn into another Delta - but there's points here that this might be a little different.
Let's bomb Russia!

Zanza

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 11, 2021, 11:50:45 AM
Genuine question - there was huge entrepreneurial state action around vaccines. Countries were spending money on buying big stocks to de-risk, helping set up manufacturing, there was a clear focus from regulators on being procedurally flexible/helpful to review vaccines and get them approved quickly.

Why hasn't that stuff happened with the anti-viral treatments? There's one from Merck (approved in the UK but not as far as I'm aware rolled out) that causes a 50% reduction in the number suffering severe cases, there's one from Pfizer where they had to stop the trial for ethical reasons because the results were so good. But it just feels like there's far less energy around the treatments, which seems crazy given that, especially in combination with people who have a high level of protection from the vaccines, it seems like they could make a huge difference.
I also find that baffling. The Merck medicine is apparently less effective than earlier thought, but still reduces risk of heavy cases by 30%. When the ICUs are overflowing, that seems to be a huge difference.  Our government bought a small number of this, but I don't get why there isn't more public debate about it.

Grey Fox

I think it's because the moment you have an effective treatment the pro-pandemics will grow in number and demand the end of all restrictions.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Iormlund

I was expecting a lot from monoclonal antibody research. But while Regeneron seems to work, it does have certain problems. It has to be administered early in the infection and suffers from the same weaknesses as the vaccines (mutations).

I suspect that vaccines have been deployed successfully so absurdly fast that viral treatment development just seem a failure in comparison.

Syt

Seems we'll have a 40k+ demonstration of anti-vaxxers every weekend now in Vienna, locking down parts of the Inner City and flooding public transport with non-mask wearing assholes.. <_< On the plus side, the majority seem to travel in from outside of Vienna, so the city's inhabitants are, by and large, smarter than this.

Last weekend the FPÖ health speaker (she studied medicine, but quit at the very start of her residency) claimed that the ICUs are full not of Covid victims, but people suffering from vaccine side effects. :bleeding:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

Quote from: Syt on December 12, 2021, 12:33:33 PM
Seems we'll have a 40k+ demonstration of anti-vaxxers every weekend now in Vienna, locking down parts of the Inner City and flooding public transport with non-mask wearing assholes.. <_< On the plus side, the majority seem to travel in from outside of Vienna, so the city's inhabitants are, by and large, smarter than this.

Last weekend the FPÖ health speaker (she studied medicine, but quit at the very start of her residency) claimed that the ICUs are full not of Covid victims, but people suffering from vaccine side effects. :bleeding:

Why does Warhammer attract these crazy assholes?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Razgovory on December 12, 2021, 12:35:01 PM
Quote from: Syt on December 12, 2021, 12:33:33 PM

Why does Warhammer attract these crazy assholes?

:lol: