And we're back!

Main Menu

Meanwhile in the Labour Party...

Started by Sheilbh, January 07, 2020, 11:44:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gups

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on October 29, 2020, 12:43:47 PM
It is a bit like his remain campaigning  :lol:

But why is he wearing his mask like that, especially with the paparazzi flocking around him? Using Occam's razor we can only conclude he is a fucking idiot.

I think we all came to that conclusion a while ago.

Gups

Quote from: Tyr on October 29, 2020, 12:55:21 PM
Interesting point on the mask thing.
The last I heard of Corbyn in the news it was him getting in trouble for a houseparty despite lockdown.
He does strike as the type to get a bit wrapped up with the left wing minority of the covidiots doesn't he...

His brother is a leader of that group

The Brain

It seems a bit weird to me to remain active in an antisemitic party like Labour. My dealbreakers when it comes to political parties are way milder than widespread antisemitism in leading circles. If they genuinely feel that they can reform the rotten structure then good luck, and I mean it. I remain skeptical that such a thing is possible though. If the UK is anything like Sweden many people in the mainstream Left really dislike Jews.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Richard Hakluyt

A consequence of first-past-the-post; both the tories and Labour are huge coalitions rather than parties and both have unsavoury elements within their ranks.

Josquius

Massively disagree that labour is an antisemitic party.
That this whole anti semitism mess is even happening should be proof of that.
Most people on the left in my experience don't care about Jewish people. It's just not an issue in the 21st century.
Israel /Palestine isn't even a particularly core issue to most. There's other closer to home things to worry about.
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

Quote from: Tyr on October 29, 2020, 01:12:42 PM
Most people on the left in my experience don't care about Jewish people. It's just not an issue in the 21st century.
Israel /Palestine isn't even a particularly core issue to most. There's other closer to home things to worry about.

I agree that most people on the left don't care about Jewish people which is why significant minority in the labor party is allowed to be actively antisemetic.  We have a similar situation among the right concerning minorities.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

chipwich

This is everything you need to know about the British left and especially Tyr.

Josquius

Quote from: chipwich on October 29, 2020, 04:51:37 PM

That they aren't particularly obsessed with Israel?
Not sure mentioning one global issue that isn't top of the priority list gives you all that much of an insight.
██████
██████
██████

crazy canuck

I am pretty sure you would also need to know about labour's position on taxation policy, labour rights, you know stuff that matters to the labour party.

Eddie Teach

Maybe if you're Bibi Netanyahu.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

Quote from: Razgovory on October 29, 2020, 01:21:52 PM

I agree that most people on the left don't care about Jewish people which is why significant minority in the labor party is allowed to be actively antisemetic.  We have a similar situation among the right concerning minorities.

Ish.
That it was barely imagined that it could even be an issue is definitely core to the problem.
But that it is a significant minority who hold these beliefs... Not really.
Let's not forget the core of the issue was less about any anti semitic words or actions in themselves and more that the whole process for reporting and dealing with these allegations was a complete mess.
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

Yes, really.  I don't think you realize you are digging yourself into a hole here.

QuoteMost people on the left in my experience don't care about Jewish people.

Quotelet's not forget the core of the issue was less about any anti semitic words or actions in themselves and more that the whole process for reporting and dealing with these allegations was a complete mess.

I mean, you really don't get it, do you? 
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Admiral Yi

"Don't care about" can have different meanings Raz.  Gotcha not awarded.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Razgovory on October 29, 2020, 06:49:49 PM
Yes, really.  I don't think you realize you are digging yourself into a hole here.

Quotelet's not forget the core of the issue was less about any anti semitic words or actions in themselves and more that the whole process for reporting and dealing with these allegations was a complete mess.

Dont care about in this context means, could not care less whether someone is Jewish or not and could not care less what is happening with the state of Israel.  the UK has other things to worry about and really why should anyone care whether someone else is Jewish. 

At least if I am reading Tyr right.

Razgovory

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 29, 2020, 09:02:29 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 29, 2020, 06:49:49 PM

Dont care about in this context means, could not care less whether someone is Jewish or not and could not care less what is happening with the state of Israel.  the UK has other things to worry about and really why should anyone care whether someone else is Jewish. 

At least if I am reading Tyr right.

This is a theme you see with people in the US concerning black people.  "I'm not racist!  I don't see color!"