News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Best film/TV US President?

Started by celedhring, November 22, 2020, 03:59:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who has been the best US President in the world of movies and TV?

President James Marshall (Harrison Ford - Air Force One)
1 (4.5%)
President Josiah E. Bartlett (Martin Sheen - The West Wing)
9 (40.9%)
President Thomas J. Whitmore (Bill Pullman - Independence Day)
5 (22.7%)
President Jordan Lyman (Fredric March - Seven Days in May)
1 (4.5%)
President Andrew Sheperd (Michael Douglas - The American President)
0 (0%)
President James W. Sawyer (Jamie Foxx - White House Down)
0 (0%)
President Tom Beck (Morgan Freeman - Deep Impact)
2 (9.1%)
President Douglass Dilmann (James Earl Jones - The Man)
0 (0%)
President William H. Mitchell (impersonated by Dave Kovic) (Kevin Kline - Dave)
2 (9.1%)
President David Palmer (Dennis Haysbert - 24)
1 (4.5%)
Other (Name him/her)
1 (4.5%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Barrister

Quote from: Caliga on November 25, 2020, 04:30:25 PM
I like Bill Pullman.  He was really good in Serpent and the Rainbow and Spaceballs.

There's nothing wrong with Bill Pullman.  I (and every right-thinking person) just like Terry Crews more. :)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Caliga

I mean, if I were a betting man and Terry Crews fought Bill Pullman, I think it's pretty obvious who I'd put my money on. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Eddie Teach

What if Pullman had a jet and Crews an assault rifle?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Caliga

Quote from: Eddie Teach on November 25, 2020, 04:39:19 PM
What if Pullman had a jet and Crews an assault rifle?
Based on my understanding of military tactics which I gained from watching GI Joe, you can easily shoot down a jet with an assault rifle, or even a spear.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Admiral Yi

Bill Pullman is a little too much of weenie to be a leading man and not funny enough to be a comic actor.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 25, 2020, 05:25:22 PM
Bill Pullman is a little too much of weenie to be a leading man and not funny enough to be a comic actor.

Hence a career in romcoms.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Pullman plays a terrific "face in the crowd" role.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

jimmy olsen

Quote from: celedhring on November 25, 2020, 03:16:32 PM
Funnily, the Independence Day wiki actually has a bit about his domestic policy (taken from the film's novelization). It looks like he was rather ineffectual despite having an ambitious agenda.

Presidency
During his first years in office, he had introduced major legislative initiatives to reform everything from the legal system to health care to the environment. However, these programs had been stalled by committees and lawmakers. Against the advice of his advisers, Whitmore spent most of his time and energy shepherding his bills through the process, allowing himself to be bogged down by first-term representatives, which he was often forced to make favors with policymakers to achieve his policies.[2] As a result, public opinion openly attacked him for his meek outlook and inexperience in politics, and his prestige and popularity plummeted.

I'll also add that giving pompous speeches is one of the main attributes of the office in Hollywood presidents, and he friggin' delivered.

I read that book, and it was pretty good for a sci-fi movie adaption. Obviously a low bar there.

I will say, that if he actually achieved his policies as implied above, then he was more effective president than anyone since Reagan.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Tonitrus

:huh: No policies are mentioned.  That is just a vague statement on "reforms" with zero detail.

"initiatives to reform of the legal system" could mean anything from tort reform to "kill all lawyers".