News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Star Wars Megathread

Started by Barrister, November 13, 2019, 12:54:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

On episode 6 of Boba Fett. It continues to be a massive mess of dissatisfying acting, random cliches and tropes mixed together, and complete digressions unrelated to the apparent point of the show.

viper37

Quote from: Jacob on November 28, 2022, 12:38:53 PMOn episode 6 of Boba Fett. It continues to be a massive mess of dissatisfying acting, random cliches and tropes mixed together, and complete digressions unrelated to the apparent point of the show.
There are two Star Wars products I haven't watch, Boba Fett and Resistance.  There's also Visions, but I shall watch it soon enough. But the other two, nope, not gonna do it.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Syt

Resistance is very much a kids show. It's more in line with something like the old Droids show in terms of tone. I don't think it's terrible, but if you look like character stories like the last few seasons of Clone Wars or Rebels you will not really find it there.

Boba Fett and Kenobi were "ok" - not great. I feel the Filoniverse has a strong feeling of the Star Wars comic books (later Dark Horse esp.). Some are good, some not so much, and pacing and tone feels similar.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

Quote from: viper37 on November 29, 2022, 12:51:27 AM
Quote from: Jacob on November 28, 2022, 12:38:53 PMOn episode 6 of Boba Fett. It continues to be a massive mess of dissatisfying acting, random cliches and tropes mixed together, and complete digressions unrelated to the apparent point of the show.
There are two Star Wars products I haven't watch, Boba Fett and Resistance.  There's also Visions, but I shall watch it soon enough. But the other two, nope, not gonna do it.

Visions is great. I mean, it's an anthology so there are high and lows, but there are several strong episodes and the vision is pretty unique - unless you really hate anime  :lol:

FWIW season 2 will feature work from non-anime studios.

Neil

I decided to watch this show called 'Andor'.  I haven't really been paying attention to the Star Wars media churn, but I thought I'd give it a try. 

Andor is an excellent work. It goes back to the good old days of content, in the Eighties, when you could use the Star Wars universe for all kinds of stories. I appreciate that part of what makes Star Wars unique is the Force, the Jedi and the lightsabres, but those elements aren't required to tell a good story in the Star Wars universe. I'm loving the cloak and dagger stories of the early Rebellion. Also, I've been really impressed that they've managed to tell pretty much the entire story without going hardcore on the nostalgia-bait. And they've created a number of new characters that are genuinely interesting. Rael. Kino. Mon Mothma's whole family situation. Meero. Karn. I can't get enough of watching the Major 'Weakest Link' the ISB people. This is good sci-fi.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

FunkMonk

Andor has no business being this good. I'm used to schlocky nonsense and fan service.

I hope Disney gives the showrunner more to do after the second season. It would be a huge lost opportunity if they don't.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

FunkMonk

Also fuck that guy who pushed over the little droid. What a dick.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Syt

Quote from: FunkMonk on November 29, 2022, 11:39:50 PMAndor has no business being this good. I'm used to schlocky nonsense and fan service.

I hope Disney gives the showrunner more to do after the second season. It would be a huge lost opportunity if they don't.

I mentioned before that it reminds me more of the (better) Star Wars novels (old EU or new canon), and admittedly I have a preference for stories focused away from the Skywalker saga and "big name" characters (hence why I liked the X-Wing books, or the tie ins for the two EA Battlefront games with the first one esp. being more military fiction, or Lost Stars which follows two childhood friends on opposite sides of the Empire/Rebellion conflict, or Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina/Jabba's Palace, or the two From A Certain Point of View books with short stories written from the POV of (mostly) "small" characters in ANH and ESB). The other shows (Mando, Boba, Kenobi) feel a lot more like reading comic books or watching the better episodes of Clone Wars or Rebels.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Syt on November 30, 2022, 01:55:22 AMI mentioned before that it reminds me more of the (better) Star Wars novels (old EU or new canon), and admittedly I have a preference for stories focused away from the Skywalker saga and "big name" characters (hence why I liked the X-Wing books, or the tie ins for the two EA Battlefront games with the first one esp. being more military fiction, or Lost Stars which follows two childhood friends on opposite sides of the Empire/Rebellion conflict, or Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina/Jabba's Palace, or the two From A Certain Point of View books with short stories written from the POV of (mostly) "small" characters in ANH and ESB). The other shows (Mando, Boba, Kenobi) feel a lot more like reading comic books or watching the better episodes of Clone Wars or Rebels.
Yup! I totally agree. Those little side character and non-super hero-esque main character stories were always my favorite, too. The Traviss books were personal favorites back in the day. It's one of the reasons that Rose Tico is my favorite character from the new trilogy. She's the most relatable character in my opinion. Just trying to do her job and do a good one at that and being totally starstruck when she runs into one of the heroes.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Syt

Agreed, the backlash against Rose and her actress was extremely painful to watch, and undeserved IMO; and relegating her to background character in TROS (like Jar Jar in Ep. 2 and 3) was a misstep IMO.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Sophie Scholl

Totally agreed. I would love to see a series following her and the Resistance during the war and after. Maybe something like the old Black Sheep Squadron tv show but with Star Wars concepts.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

celedhring

Quote from: Syt on November 30, 2022, 01:55:22 AM
Quote from: FunkMonk on November 29, 2022, 11:39:50 PMAndor has no business being this good. I'm used to schlocky nonsense and fan service.

I mentioned before that it reminds me more of the (better) Star Wars novels (old EU or new canon), and admittedly I have a preference for stories focused away from the Skywalker saga and "big name" characters (hence why I liked the X-Wing books, or the tie ins for the two EA Battlefront games with the first one esp. being more military fiction, or Lost Stars which follows two childhood friends on opposite sides of the Empire/Rebellion conflict, or Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina/Jabba's Palace, or the two From A Certain Point of View books with short stories written from the POV of (mostly) "small" characters in ANH and ESB). The other shows (Mando, Boba, Kenobi) feel a lot more like reading comic books or watching the better episodes of Clone Wars or Rebels.

Mando also had that "fringe story" feel until they started throwing in Luke Skywalker...

Syt

That's true. At first it was exciting to see e.g. the Darksaber at the end of S1. But it lost some of that charm in S2 in hindsight. It was cool to see live action Ahsok and Bo-Katan, but now I kinda wish they'd left it as a "smaller" story.

Though I guess kudos to them for getting us invested in Din and Grogu before expanding the scale of the story.
—Stephen Jay Gould

celedhring

Quote from: Syt on November 30, 2022, 02:41:34 AMThat's true. At first it was exciting to see e.g. the Darksaber at the end of S1. But it lost some of that charm in S2 in hindsight. It was cool to see live action Ahsok and Bo-Katan, but now I kinda wish they'd left it as a "smaller" story.

Though I guess kudos to them for getting us invested in Din and Grogu before expanding the scale of the story.

I'm willing to bet Ashoka and Bo Katan were complete unknowns to the majority of people watching the show. Those were fine to me. But the doubling down on Skywalker during the Book of Boba Mandalorian episodes makes me worry.

Still, Mando had a knack for creating fun characters on the fringe of the galaxy's big stories: Cobb Vanth, Fennec Shand, Peli Motto, Mayfield, Kuill...

Syt

Tbf, Cobb Vanth was technically not new either, but even more niche than Bo-Katan. :D
—Stephen Jay Gould