News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Star Wars Megathread

Started by Barrister, November 13, 2019, 12:54:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Quote from: Syt on November 09, 2022, 03:13:52 PMAlso, two fun little details.

In Rogue One, K2 tells Cassian to climb.
In the heist episode, Nemik tells Cassian to climb (with the ship).
In this episode ... they climb.

I feel there's a pattern, somehow. :P

My favorite callout was in episode 9 when they are torturing Bix and they use the same exact shot as when Vader is torturing Leia in ANH.

Syt

Quote from: Eddie Teach on November 10, 2022, 02:07:40 AMIs that 7 persons, total, or 7 ^ 5?  :ph34r:

7 per table, 7 tables per room etc.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Jacob

Just finished Rise of Skywalker. VII, IIX, and IX were significantly better than I, II, and III.

celedhring

Yeah, I disliked the sequels but I won't have any of that "know what? The prequels were actually better" revisionist BS  :P

The one good thing the sequels did is bringing back the old Star Wars look, too.

Zoupa

Quote from: Jacob on November 11, 2022, 03:16:17 AMJust finished Rise of Skywalker. VII, IIX, and IX were significantly better than I, II, and III.

As entertainment/kids movies, sure. Story wise? Disagree.

Jacob

Quote from: Zoupa on November 11, 2022, 03:41:37 AM
Quote from: Jacob on November 11, 2022, 03:16:17 AMJust finished Rise of Skywalker. VII, IIX, and IX were significantly better than I, II, and III.

As entertainment/kids movies, sure. Story wise? Disagree.

In what ways were Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones, and Revenge of the Sith better storywise than the Force Awakens, The Last Jedi, and the Rise of Skywalker? I found the whole Rey - Kylo Ren remote connection thing significantly more interesting (not to mention fresher) than the Anakin - Amidala doomed romance, f. ex.

celedhring

If you were to sum up the plot of the prequels in a single paragraph it looks better on paper. It's the only thing they have over the sequels - an actual direction that makes sense within the saga - but the execution is so awful at nearly every singe level, that I find them nearly unwatchable.

The sequels are completely aimless and derivative, but they are more competent as movies. I don't like them, but if somebody forced me to watch a Star Wars saga movie that's not the OT... I would probably chose The Last Jedi.

Zoupa

I think the prequels were indeed terrible in terms of acting/dialogue. But the plot was interesting, with Palpatine pulling the strings of both sides, showing the Jedi were not saints.

I see the main movies as the story of Anakin Skywalker. fall from grace and redemption. The sequels were aimless, contradictory and the last movie undid the whole point of the OT, being the sacrifice of Anakin in order to end Palpatine.

When I heard "Somehow, Palpatine survived" I just burst out laughing. It was a terrible choice.

FunkMonk

The overall story of the prequels is far superior to the sequels. As movies, though, they do indeed suck a lot of ass. Poor writing, poor direction, and actors who obviously had trouble digesting what they were being given by Lucas. And the CGI was terrible.

That said, I still prefer them to the sequels. I will gladly watch Phantom Menace or Revenge of the Sith over any of the three sequels EXCEPT The Last Jedi.

The prequel movies have a stupid charm that the sequels generally lack, with certain exceptions, like Han, Chewbacca, and Finn in Episode VII, or Luke and Yoda in Episode VIII.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Solmyr

The sequels would have been fine if they followed up on TLJ instead of frantically trying to cancel it.

Syt

I think the prequels have been elevated a fair bit by having their stories expanded by the Clone Wars show.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

Jacob

Quote from: Syt on November 12, 2022, 02:27:40 AMI think the prequels have been elevated a fair bit by having their stories expanded by the Clone Wars show.

I suspect that's the case - and I haven't watched to Clone Wars show, so it hasn't affected my impression.

IMO, the prequels were grating pretty much every minute due to bad direction (I don't believe it was bad acting, because many of those actors are known to be excellent). That makes them pretty much unwatchable for me. Maybe from an overall "advancing the plot of the franchise" point of view they were "better", but I'm unable to get through to that.

Conversely the sequels were competently executed (which makes them massively more enjoyable than the prequels for me), and I thought the Kylo Ren - Rey connection thing was interesting. Palpatine coming back and mostly negating Anakin's sacrifice didn't bother me, but fair play if you found it awful.x

I mean, all six films had their fair share of dumb-ass Star Wars elements, but for me quality of direction (and thus quality of acting) makes all the difference.

Jacob

Anyways, we started watching the Boba Fett series (boy's choice). Two episodes in.

Of course Boba Fett survived. Of course. Because that's how Disney treats this franchise. Every character is an asset that needs to be monetized as much as possible, and killing them makes that harder. So of course he's not actually dead. And a Western series with Science-Fantasy trappings seems like something that could survive pitch meetings and focus group tests, so that makes sense as well.

Okay. Done with being cynical for the moment.

It was not what I expected at all. Not that I knew what to expect.

The whole crime lord thing is... pretty pedestrian so far.

The before-times thing is okay I guess. Turning the Tusken Raiders into an oppressed noble indigenous population makes sense, I guess, given our age and zeitgeist.

Do people generally like the Boba Fett series?

For my part, I'm enjoying it because I'm watching it with a 9-year old who's really into Star Wars things. But if I'd never watched it I certainly wouldn't feel like I missed anything.

Habbaku

No, I think Boba Fett was pretty well slagged from all angles. There's very little redeeming about the series at all.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien