News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Star Wars Megathread

Started by Barrister, November 13, 2019, 12:54:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

Quote from: Syt on November 19, 2022, 02:21:50 AMI'm not sure a former Jedi could run an upscale antiques shop that caters to the rich and famous in the middle of Coruscant unmolested.

What I could see, though, is that Luthen was closely connected to the Jedi and perhaps (naively?) aided in or profited from their downfall, which is why he has a whole bunch of artifacts (Jedi Temple Guard mask, holocrons, ... ), and now trying to atone for his mistake.

Which would be way cooler than him actually being a Jedi.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

Quote from: celedhring on November 19, 2022, 02:26:38 AMAlso I loved the "release kinetic projectiles that are naturally drawn to tractor beam emitters" tactic he used in last episode. And I swear I had seen that in some old EU book or comic. Does it ring a bell to you, Syt?

I'm pretty sure it happened in one of the comics, and is considered canon, but obviously this is the first time we've seen it on screen.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

viper37

Quote from: celedhring on November 19, 2022, 02:26:38 AMAlso I loved the "release kinetic projectiles that are naturally drawn to tractor beam emitters" tactic he used in last episode. And I swear I had seen that in some old EU book or comic. Does it ring a bell to you, Syt?

It was not in any post ANH book for sure.  I do not know about comics.  Don't know about the prequel books, or other eras.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Jacob

Boba Fett continues to be pretty weaksauce (just watched episode 3).

Habbaku

Quote from: Jacob on November 19, 2022, 01:24:21 PMBoba Fett continues to be pretty weaksauce (just watched episode 3).

You should press on just for the episodes near the end that have nothing to do with Boba Fett.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Syt

Problem there is that they probably don't make much sense without having seen Mando S1 & 2.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Habbaku

Quote from: Syt on November 19, 2022, 04:52:57 PMProblem there is that they probably don't make much sense without having seen Mando S1 & 2.

True, which makes them weaker coming in fresh. And was another reason not to make them in the context of Book of Boba.

What a mess.  :D

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Syt

Just heard the other day that Andor will only have 2 seasons. Originally, it was to be 5 seasons (starting at 5 before ANH, and then covering one year each), but apparently the makers said they can't dedicate about 10 years to the project. (fair :D ). It was then cut to 3 (with time jumps), and is now down to 2. :(
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

HVC

How are the ratings? If they were good wouldn't hey just throw money at them?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

celedhring

Quote from: HVC on November 20, 2022, 03:01:16 AMHow are the ratings? If they were good wouldn't hey just throw money at them?

Ratings are rather poor for a Marvel/Star Wars show (it's still the most watched show on Disney+ every week), but the decision to cut it down to 2 seasons had already been taken before the show's debut. It's a pity, because it's simply superb.

Sophie Scholl

It's disappointing, but ultimately I feel like the people calling an end to it before they start phoning it in is far preferable. It also gives them the ability to do what they want and how they want for the story they're passionate about with a set time allotment in place. Much better a True Detective Season 1 or HBO's Watchmen than the tail end of GoT.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

celedhring

Habbaku

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Josquius

Obi Wan Kenobi was good and explains some things from the original series.

The inquisitors are a weird inconsistency though. And luke not having a clue what a light sabre is later on seems weird.

Not getting how inquisitor lady survives and obi wan just peace out and leaves vader. He could have solved so much...
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

Quote from: Josquius on November 22, 2022, 12:08:53 PMObi Wan Kenobi was good and explains some things from the original series.

The inquisitors are a weird inconsistency though. And luke not having a clue what a light sabre is later on seems weird.

Not getting how inquisitor lady survives and obi wan just peace out and leaves vader. He could have solved so much...

I thought Kenobi was... not good. Which is kinda sad because I thought they found a good angle for the series (Kenobi being broken after ROTS and having to find himself again in order to be a good tutor for Luke in the future).

The execution felt so rushed/lazy. Two main characters get stabbed by a lightsaber just to miraculously shrug it off later, no explanations given.