FunkMonk

We're sending more troops to Saudi now too

"BuT foReVEr EndlESs WarS"
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Valmy

Quote from: FunkMonk on October 11, 2019, 03:36:09 PM
We're sending more troops to Saudi now too

"BuT foReVEr EndlESs WarS"

As I said to chipwich, I am not entire unsympathetic to his perspective but he is just wrong. We are not doing this to stop being the world policemen. We are going to continue to do so, we just made our job harder and betrayed a loyal ally.

It is especially infuriating to me since Donald loves to take 100% of the credit for fighting the Kurds did and now he opens them up to a massacre.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

mongers

Quote from: mongers on October 12, 2019, 03:22:49 PM
Quote from: grumbler on October 12, 2019, 12:40:19 PM
I agree with BA.  I thought he'd be a do-nothing president, not an actively anti-American president.

This is an astonishing thing to say and yet the evidence points that way; he's doing a 'fine' job of weakening America's standing in the world and wrecking the international system.

Latest news is the SDF/YPG are considering turning to Assad and Russia for aid/protection.   :hmm:

Deal has apparently been done, Syrian forces reported heading north towards the Turkish border and major towns like Kobani.

Nice work Trumpinov.  :ph34r:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

HisMajestyBOB

Weird how often Trump's foreign policy decisions hurt the US and benefit Russia.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

mongers

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on October 13, 2019, 06:31:52 PM
Weird how often Trump's foreign policy decisions hurt the US and benefit Russia.

Yeah it's totally inexplicable.  :hmm:

The Minsky Moment

The one rule of Trump's foreign "policy" is that it all makes sense if you make the assumption he is a Russian plant.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Habbaku

I just make the assumption that he's making money somewhere along the way due to any action he takes. That seems to be holding true.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Syt

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1183822488192671745
QuoteDonald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump
·
1h
After defeating 100% of the ISIS Caliphate, I largely moved our troops out of Syria. Let Syria and Assad protect the Kurds and fight Turkey for their own land. I said to my Generals, why should we be fighting for Syria and Assad to protect the land of our enemy? Anyone who wants to assist Syria in protecting the Kurds is good with me, whether it is Russia, China, or Napoleon Bonaparte. I hope they all do great, we are 7,000 miles away!
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

I have crossed oceans of time to assist you.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

Donald to Senate Republicans: I'll do anything you say as long as you don't impeach me.

Hookers and blow for everyone at the Kurds' DC lobbying firm tonight.

Razgovory

Phrasing is key with Trump.  Saying he betrayed someone isn't likely to get much response beside a grin.  However, if you phrase it like "Donald Trump orders retreat in face of Islamist army", you might actually get him to do something.

I hope Erdogan does something stupid like close Trump Towers Instanbul.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Minsky Moment

So we betrayed the Kurds and still ended up on worse terms with the Turks.  We strengthened ISIS, made the US look weak and unreliable, and generally pissed off the entire world.
What a brilliant move by Mr. Four Dimensional Chess Stable Genius.

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

mongers

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 14, 2019, 05:47:39 PM
So we betrayed the Kurds and still ended up on worse terms with the Turks.  We strengthened ISIS, made the US look weak and unreliable, and generally pissed off the entire world.
What a brilliant move by Mr. Four Dimensional Chess Stable Genius.

It is if the sole object it to remain ever the centre of attention.