News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

US abandoning Kurds in Syria

Started by Maladict, October 07, 2019, 06:37:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: Tamas on October 10, 2019, 10:13:47 AM
The point is, you should ignore stupid inane shit like this. Let it fly over your head, not make it the bloody conversation of the week.

Not sure I agree; it is worthwhile to note that a major strategic decision was made without any reasonable basis whatsoever.

That the justification given for it was so self-evidently absurd is something important to note, to avoid any attempt at post facto justification.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Habbaku

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 10, 2019, 10:41:06 AM
If you are the sort of person who believes the US should limit its own direct commitment of overseas conflicts, that is a very desirable thing.

Indeed. And what else are we doing except limiting our direct commitment by supporting the Kurds? Our commitment of <1,000 troops/advisers vs. their tens of thousands, nevermind civilians, seems pretty damn limited to me.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

grumbler

Quote from: Habbaku on October 10, 2019, 10:09:52 AM
And that changes what, exactly? Talking about the subject on "his terms" (as if he's doing it deliberately, like it's a considered strategy? Give me a break) doesn't modify the result in the least. He's still wrong, and no one's mind is being changed.

Please don't interrupt virtue-signalling in the midst of signalling virtue.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on October 10, 2019, 10:48:51 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 10, 2019, 10:41:06 AM
I've never heard of such a thing.

Wiki has.

Yes, it is a dumb concept designed by some media writers to sell some newspapers. 
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

HisMajestyBOB

Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

The Brain

Haven't read the book, but I have considered doing so.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

I discovered it originally through Marvano's excellent comic series based on it, but it has since been one of my favorite classic sci-fi books (Forever Peace is, unfortunately, not as good).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

I have difficulty seeing a time when public statements made by the POTUS should be ignored.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Habbaku

Quote from: The Brain on October 10, 2019, 12:40:11 PM
I have difficulty seeing a time when public statements made by the POTUS should be ignored.

Take Trump seriously, not literally, bro!
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Habbaku on October 10, 2019, 12:42:50 PM
Take Trump seriously, not literally, bro!

I know meant in jest, but it turns out the people taking him literally (i.e. seeking a literal Muslim ban and a literal giant wall with moat etc) were right all along and the people taking him seriously (i.e. there is some coherent policy behind the inane rantings) were wrong.  There was no master plan.  We just put a cranky old fool in the White House for giggles.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

Unfortunately LeCroix is not around to eat crow. Man he was always so eager to read tea leaves and entrails to find the solid logic behind the President's moves.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on October 10, 2019, 11:50:52 AM
It's a pretty good sci-fi book.

I liked it.  Normally I dislike military science fiction, but since it was anti-war there wasn't a lot of the typical "hard men making hard choices" bullshit.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: chipwich on October 09, 2019, 09:25:34 PM
Assad didn't ask us to have soldiers their assisting the Kurds. Did you forget that we invaded his sovereign nation?

Thank goodness we protected Syrian territorial sovereignty by withdrawing our advisors so that Turkey could infringe on Syrian sovereignty instead of us.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Habbaku

Withdrawal's going great, guys.

https://www.newsweek.com/us-troops-syria-turkey-1464727

EXCLUSIVE: TURKEY BOMBS US SPECIAL FORCES IN SYRIA ATTACK, APPARENTLY BY MISTAKE

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Valmy

Quote from: Habbaku on October 11, 2019, 03:14:39 PM
Withdrawal's going great, guys.

https://www.newsweek.com/us-troops-syria-turkey-1464727

EXCLUSIVE: TURKEY BOMBS US SPECIAL FORCES IN SYRIA ATTACK, APPARENTLY BY MISTAKE

QuoteNo injuries have been reported.

Thank goodness for that.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."