News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

US abandoning Kurds in Syria

Started by Maladict, October 07, 2019, 06:37:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

crazy canuck

QuoteRussia said on Tuesday that its military units were patrolling territory in northern Syria vacated by the Americans following the withdrawal ordered by President Trump, underscoring the sudden loss of United States influence in the eight-year-old Syria war.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/15/world/middleeast/kurds-syria-turkey.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage

mongers

Reports show video of Russian military police in armoured vehicles patrolling the streets of Manbij . And a Russian news channel has shown video of the city's abandoned US military base, with the voice-over of  'yesterday the Americans were here, but now it's us'  :hmm:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Razgovory

I'm guessing Trump's history books only went up to 1919.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Razgovory on October 15, 2019, 08:40:26 PM

That's funny.  The idea that Trump has books.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

dps

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 15, 2019, 10:14:34 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 15, 2019, 08:40:26 PM

That's funny.  The idea that Trump has books.

Oh, I'm sure he owns books.  That he actually reads them, no.

Valmy

He owns many leather-bound books and his apartment smells of rich mahogany.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

He is kind of a big deal, unfortunately.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on October 15, 2019, 08:46:09 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 15, 2019, 08:43:54 AM
This is a remarkable fuck-up.  I'm genuinely impressed by how Trump caused a catastrophe with so little effort.

I am just glad there wasn't a massacre.
The Turks having been killing plenty of people from what I've seen.

Quote from: Valmy on October 15, 2019, 09:45:44 AM
When we switch to electric cars the Middle East will go back to having very little strategic value...at least I hope.

That might help.

They're going to cover the country in solar panels and become a green energy powerhouse.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

FunkMonk

If Putin sends Russian troops into the Baltics, what would Donald do? Abandon the Baltic republics to their fate? Would Europe even be able to respond forcefully without the backing of the United States?
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Tonitrus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 16, 2019, 06:44:37 AM
They're going to cover the country in solar panels and become a green energy powerhouse.

Maybe...but it's not like they can they put a bunch of giant batteries onto those obsolete oil tankers and export that energy around the globe like oil.

dps

Quote from: FunkMonk on October 16, 2019, 01:08:04 PM
Would Europe even be able to respond forcefully without the backing of the United States?

Lol.

I figure that they could maybe send a sharply worded letter without us.  But respond with force?  No way.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien