US abandoning Kurds in Syria

Started by Maladict, October 07, 2019, 06:37:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Eddie Teach on October 09, 2019, 10:14:27 PM
Quote from: Valmy on October 09, 2019, 09:41:45 PM
I was a big voice to not intervene in Syria,

I don't think screaming at the computer makes you a "big voice"  :hmm:

Well yeah. A big voice on this board which is a completely unimportant and insignificant voice outside of it :P

Eddie Teach: keeping me honest.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

chipwich

Neither Turkey or the United States has the right to invade Syria. This isn't some eclectic philosophy I just made up, invading other countries is largely unacceptable. Did you forget about the whole Iraq war and what it did for America's reputation?

Quote from: Valmy on October 09, 2019, 10:15:36 PM
Well I disagree that we do not have a burden to not abandon the Kurds. They allied with us and agreed to work with us to defeat ISIS at considerable cost to themselves. Now maybe we shouldn't have done that, maybe we had no right to do that, but we did do that and with that comes certain obligations.

This is overwhelming bullshit. We didn't get on our knees and politely beg the Kurds to fight ISIS. They didn't fight ISIS out of the goodness of their hearts. We intervened to prevent ISIS from committing a genocide on the Kurds and the Kurds were fighting for their survival. They owe us, not the other way around.

frunk

The thing that drives me nuts is that even if the US decides there's no reason to stay at the very least we should have gotten something from Turkey and/or Syria for leaving.  We may have no use for being there but plenty of others would like to see us go.  Use it as a bargaining position then screw over the Kurds.  This is just random stupid.

Valmy

Quote from: frunk on October 09, 2019, 11:03:26 PM
The thing that drives me nuts is that even if the US decides there's no reason to stay at the very least we should have gotten something from Turkey and/or Syria for leaving.  We may have no use for being there but plenty of others would like to see us go.  Use it as a bargaining position then screw over the Kurds.  This is just random stupid.

Yeah I agree.

As I said before, I don't think this is based on some calculations of principles or some grand strategic re-alignment but a reckless decision that is just going to make things worse.

We will probably be right back in Syria soon and just in a much worse position.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

jimmy olsen

Quote from: chipwich on October 09, 2019, 07:25:58 PM
:lmfao: I'll let someone else respond to that one.

You really think Asad was going to be able to stop them?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Larch

Apparently this is the article from which Trump got the "Kurds didn't help us in Normandy" reference:

https://townhall.com/columnists/kurtschlichter/2019/10/08/critics-aghast-as-trump-keeps-word-about-no-more-wars-n2554328

This is the specific paragraph:

QuoteThe Kurds helped destroy ISIS, true. It's also true that the Kurds would have fought ISIS anyway, since the psycho caliphate was right next door. Let's be honest – the Kurds didn't show up for us at Normandy or Inchon or Khe Sanh or Kandahar. The Syrian Kurds allied with us in their homeland because we shared a common interest in wiping out the head-lopping freak show that was ISIS.

I still can't figure out if this is mind boggling stupidity or malicious word twisting.

Saladin

"You'd be better served taxing your conscience for those who deserve your regret."

Richard Hakluyt

They had bone spurs, it is the only possible reason for failing to turn up for all these campaigns.

mongers

Quote from: Saladin on October 10, 2019, 06:21:06 AM
Both?

:yes:

That was my reaction.

Hi Sal, good to see you around the place. :cheers:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Tamas

Quote from: The Larch on October 10, 2019, 06:15:15 AM
Apparently this is the article from which Trump got the "Kurds didn't help us in Normandy" reference:

https://townhall.com/columnists/kurtschlichter/2019/10/08/critics-aghast-as-trump-keeps-word-about-no-more-wars-n2554328

QuoteThe Kurds helped destroy ISIS, true. It's also true that the Kurds would have fought ISIS anyway, since the psycho caliphate was right next door. Let's be honest – the Kurds didn't show up for us at Normandy or Inchon or Khe Sanh or Kandahar. The Syrian Kurds allied with us in their homeland because we shared a common interest in wiping out the head-lopping freak show that was ISIS.

I still can't figure out if this is mind boggling stupidity or malicious word twisting.

If we (as in, the world) analyse for days every stupid fucking brainfart of his, we are hardly different from his followers. We still dance to his tune. Worst is, it's not actually a tune he means to play. He is just this stupid.

But everyone just fucking hangs on it.

The Larch

Quote from: Tamas on October 10, 2019, 06:43:08 AM
Quote from: The Larch on October 10, 2019, 06:15:15 AM

If we (as in, the world) analyse for days every stupid fucking brainfart of his, we are hardly different from his followers. We still dance to his tune. Worst is, it's not actually a tune he means to play. He is just this stupid.

But everyone just fucking hangs on it.

Well, there is a certain value in finding out where he gets his weird ass opinions from, in this case from that particular fucktard. As I doubt that he has even read the article, I just wonder who spoon fed it to him.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

It's a fun historical exercise, nothing more. It's not like it takes away from anything to show that Trump is wrong, yet again.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

viper37

Quote from: chipwich on October 09, 2019, 03:28:15 PM
Syria and Korea.
And in Korea, you think that once the President's new best friend has ran over the South with some Russian and Chinese help, maybe, you will have a huge market of consumers for your products&technology over there?

And when the next ISIS reapears, you think they'll be so happy with American non interventionism that they will spare you from any attacks? :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.