And we're back!

Main Menu

US abandoning Kurds in Syria

Started by Maladict, October 07, 2019, 06:37:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chipwich

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 09, 2019, 04:59:09 PM
Quote from: FunkMonk on October 09, 2019, 04:54:13 PM
Republicans in open revolt in the Senate, introducing bipartisan legislation placing heavy sanctions on Turkey when they come back from recess.

Donald singlehandedly destroying two alliances in a sensitive geopolitical region. Nice.

They have obviously not heard Chipwich's argument justifying the decisions of the great and unmatched leader.

Your great leader hasn't lifted a finger in Syria so why should mine?

crazy canuck

Look on the bright side Chip, the great and unmatched leader is now quoting from social media posts trying to defend his position.  Maybe he will choose one of yours.  The one he has decided to go with is that the Kurds were not at Normandy.

Habbaku

I'll claim the blame for inciting Chip. I didn't figure all I'd get from him was one-liners and arguments by mere assertion. Mea culpa.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Eddie Teach

I'm sympathetic to his main point, that the US shouldn't be there. But we are, we shouldn't leave allies in the lurch. We can't just change foreign policy at the President's whim.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

chipwich

Quote from: Eddie Teach on October 09, 2019, 06:54:14 PM
I'm sympathetic to his main point, that the US shouldn't be there. But we are, we shouldn't leave allies in the lurch. We can't just change foreign policy at the President's whim.

If we reverse the policy and help the Kurds, when will it end?

PRC

Today Trump doubles down and justified abandoning the Kurds because they didn't help the US in WWII, they didn't help at Normandy.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: chipwich on October 09, 2019, 07:01:38 PM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on October 09, 2019, 06:54:14 PM

If we reverse the policy and help the Kurds, when will it end?

Preferably with some kind of multilateral agreement, not vague assurances from Erdogan.

chipwich

Quote from: Eddie Teach on October 09, 2019, 07:15:58 PM

Preferably with some kind of multilateral agreement, not vague assurances from Erdogan.

A multilateral agreement? With who? Syria, the country we have invaded?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: chipwich on October 09, 2019, 03:45:17 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 09, 2019, 03:42:07 PM
Quote from: chipwich on October 09, 2019, 03:01:46 PM
Killing ISIS was not that important to the US, not with the immense number of enemies ISIS had anyways.

Who are you thinking of?  Assad never had any interest in fighting ISIS.  The Iraqi army ran away.  Obama hired 12 fat Syrians and they all quit.

Assad did a lot of fighting against ISIS. Iraq, Iran and Syria would have eventually worn them down.
Lol, without American intervention ISIS would have rolled over the Arabian peninsula and only been stopped by full blown Iranian intervention.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

chipwich

:lmfao: I'll let someone else respond to that one.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: PRC on October 09, 2019, 07:06:11 PM
Today Trump doubles down and justified abandoning the Kurds because they didn't help the US in WWII, they didn't help at Normandy.

This episode of the Trump Show is the best one ever.  God I hope they can sustain the quality.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: chipwich on October 09, 2019, 07:19:48 PM

If Assad was ousted, why not? But definitely Kurdish leaders should be in the discussion.

chipwich

Quote from: Eddie Teach on October 09, 2019, 07:32:31 PM
Quote from: chipwich on October 09, 2019, 07:19:48 PM

If Assad was ousted, why not? But definitely Kurdish leaders should be in the discussion.

If Assad was ousted the political situation would be entirely different.

PRC

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 09, 2019, 07:29:20 PM
Quote from: PRC on October 09, 2019, 07:06:11 PM

This episode of the Trump Show is the best one ever.  God I hope they can sustain the quality.

Unfortunately I think it can only get worse, but maybe there is another level to be reached in the "so bad it's good" category.

Habbaku

I suppose it's possible in some weird, low-probability world that the Kurds in Turkey and Iraq come to the aid of those in Syria and rout the Turkish Army. I have my doubts.  :hmm:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien