News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

US abandoning Kurds in Syria

Started by Maladict, October 07, 2019, 06:37:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: chipwich on October 09, 2019, 03:01:46 PM
Killing ISIS was not that important to the US, not with the immense number of enemies ISIS had anyways.

Who are you thinking of?  Assad never had any interest in fighting ISIS.  The Iraqi army ran away.  Obama hired 12 fat Syrians and they all quit.

chipwich

Quote from: Razgovory on October 09, 2019, 03:39:31 PM
  We support our allies because we promised to do so. 

What exactly is your best-case scenario? A was of independence against all 4 of Kurdistan's enemies?

Valmy

Quote from: chipwich on October 09, 2019, 03:42:45 PM

What exactly is your best-case scenario? A was of independence against all 4 of Kurdistan's enemies?

Is that a realistic prospect? No. We should make actual policy decisions based on fantasy scenarios now?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on October 09, 2019, 02:30:06 PM
We have very few friends in the Middle East. Shame to see us betray one of those precious few for no reason at all.
You can always count on Saudi Arabia's devotion :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

chipwich

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 09, 2019, 03:42:07 PM
Quote from: chipwich on October 09, 2019, 03:01:46 PM
Killing ISIS was not that important to the US, not with the immense number of enemies ISIS had anyways.

Who are you thinking of?  Assad never had any interest in fighting ISIS.  The Iraqi army ran away.  Obama hired 12 fat Syrians and they all quit.

Assad did a lot of fighting against ISIS. Iraq, Iran and Syria would have eventually worn them down. ISIS became strong after half of the "allies" that we made "promises" to defected and brougbht their American equipment with them.

chipwich

Quote from: Valmy on October 09, 2019, 03:44:36 PM

Is that a realistic prospect? No. We should make actual policy decisions based on fantasy scenarios now?

Ask Raz.

crazy canuck

Quote from: chipwich on October 09, 2019, 03:45:34 PM
Quote from: Valmy on October 09, 2019, 03:44:36 PM

Ask Raz.

Why, you are the one making the case that its ok to suddenly renege on commitments for no reason.

Barrister

US has been pretty clear with the Kurds that you won't go that far.  Remember when the Iraqi Kurds tried an independence vote?  They were swiftly told they were on their own.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

chipwich

Quote from: Barrister on October 09, 2019, 03:48:32 PM

US has been pretty clear with the Kurds that you won't go that far.  Remember when the Iraqi Kurds tried an independence vote?  They were swiftly told they were on their own.

Exactly. There is no sovereignty outcome for the Kurds, so there's no reason for the U.S. to fight for them, morally or practically.

Razgovory

Well the best case scenario is that Kurds peacefully get independence.  I'm not counting on best-case scenarios manifesting, but I think preventing our allies from being butchered is an attainable goal  Or at least it was earlier this week.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

chipwich

Quote from: Razgovory on October 09, 2019, 03:52:26 PM

Well the best case scenario is that Kurds peacefully get independence.

Independence from 4 different countries?

I'm not counting on best-case scenarios manifesting, but I think preventing our allies from being butchered is an attainable goal  Or at least it was earlier this week.

Preventing... Until the end of time?

viper37

Quote from: chipwich on October 09, 2019, 03:01:07 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on October 09, 2019, 02:44:25 PM
Show your work. What is the overwhelming liability of protecting them?

They want independence are spread out between their four neighbors each of which don't want them to gain independence.

Strategic value: None, the US shouldn't be there anyway.
They are fighting for independance from:
Turkey
Syria
Iran
Irak.

Iran is a declared ennemy of your President. Shouldn't be a problem pissing them off, right?
Syria is a declared ennemy of the US and just about every occidental nations.  Shouldn't be a problem to piss 'em off, right?
Irak is holding together by the will of the US.  The Kurds there will settle for autonomy.  Shouldn'bt a problem to piss 'em off strike one of these great deals your President is so famous for?
Turkey is much more troublesome as an ally than anyone else in NATO.  They don't pull their fair share of the military costs, they don't actively engaged in outside peace keeping operations with NATO, and their only use as an ally was to maintain military bases and nuclear silos during the cold war.  Shouldn't be a problem to piss 'em off, right?  Unless your President is afraid?

It strikes me as cowardice by the current government of the United States.  Republicans can whine all they want, but they will not seriously oppose their president and go against him for more than token words of sorrow and dispointment.  They're the ones who enabled this.  It's like a SA complaining he got sent to Dachau after an unfair trial.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: chipwich on October 09, 2019, 03:54:05 PM

Well the best case scenario is that Kurds peacefully get independence.

Independence from 4 different countries?

I'm not counting on best-case scenarios manifesting, but I think preventing our allies from being butchered is an attainable goal  Or at least it was earlier this week.

Preventing... Until the end of time?
Just getting independance, of a semi-autonomous State with Syria and Irak would be enough. Many Kurds living in Turkey and Iran would likely end up moving there, just like many Jews decided to move to Israel, with a little help from their... friendly neighbours.

Valmy

Quote from: chipwich on October 09, 2019, 03:26:13 PM
America doesn't have interests in Iraq and Syria.

We sure end up there a lot for a country that has no interests there.

Again if this is some kind of strategic redeployment than alright...but it isn't and we are most likely going to end up there again soon and potentially in a much weaker position.

I think your point is we shouldn't give a fuck because we shouldn't be in the Middle East anyway, I get that but I do not think that is why we are doing this nor the reality of our current situation.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

viper37

Quote from: chipwich on October 09, 2019, 03:50:46 PM
Exactly. There is no sovereignty outcome for the Kurds, so there's no reason for the U.S. to fight for them, morally or practically.
yes, someone helps you fight a common ennemy, and then you leave them to be executed by another ennemy.  :)
That is the way foreign policy should be conducted in the 21st century.  It is a great way to convince others to join the fight with you, next time the US is in trouble.