Where would you tell a first time visitor to your country to visit?

Started by Savonarola, July 15, 2019, 03:13:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

I was listening to a travel podcast in which the hosts debated where a first time visitor to Europe should go first; and Amsterdam was their answer :smoke:.

No, not really; it's an hour long podcast so it was mostly hemming and hawing about the highlights of Europe.  Anyhow I was wondering what you'd recommend to a first time visitor to your country.

I'd recommend a first time visitor to the United States see New York City; it's a good introduction to the Irish, Italians, Jews, Hispanics, religious nuts and political fanatics that make up this country.  (For similar reasons I'd recommend a first time visitor to Latin America see Miami.)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

merithyn

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

The Larch

Quote from: Savonarola on July 15, 2019, 03:13:50 PM
I was listening to a travel podcast in which the hosts debated where a first time visitor to Europe should go first; and Amsterdam was their answer :smoke:.

No, not really; it's an hour long podcast so it was mostly hemming and hawing about the highlights of Europe.  Anyhow I was wondering what you'd recommend to a first time visitor to your country.

I'd recommend a first time visitor to the United States see New York City; it's a good introduction to the Irish, Italians, Jews, Hispanics, religious nuts and political fanatics that make up this country.  (For similar reasons I'd recommend a first time visitor to Latin America see Miami.)

Link, out of curiosity?

As for the Amsterdam answer...  :rolleyes: I'd have guessed that London, Paris or Rome would be their choice, but Amsterdam...oh well.

As for Spain, undoubtly Madrid and/or Barcelona.

Duque de Bragança

This is going to be mostly capitals right? Paris for France, obviously. But then, nearly all tourists go there first and then it's only Mont Saint-Michel, Loire Valley Castles and the French Riviera mostly.

As for Portugal, I'd say Porto but I suspect Lisbon could work too. ;)

PS: please no discovery of Portugal starting by the lobster-faced Brit-occupied Algarve!

Savonarola

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Maladict

I'd have to know what they're interested in. But then again, if they haven't done their homework, what's the point?
So probably Amsterdam, then at least they won't get in my way  :P

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

crazy canuck

First, you need about 3 months to see the place properly - the list of what they should see is long.

Eddie Teach

No need to see Vancouver, they've already been to Amsterdam.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

alfred russel

Area 51. Hopefully they would go and tell us what is there.  :area52:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Zoupa

The best part of my 3-day weekend trip to Amsterdam was the day we got so bored and decided to go to Brussels.

KRonn

I'd say to visit Washington DC,  as someone else also said. I've been there a couple times and the various museums are fantastic places to visit.

Barrister

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 15, 2019, 03:59:02 PM
This is going to be mostly capitals right?

Not for Canada. :)

I have no idea if you're going to say just one location in a country as big as Canada...

But definitely not one of the cities.  Not Toronto, not Vancouver.

Screw it - I'm going to say Dawson City, Yukon.  The Klondike.  :cool:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Zanza

Quote from: Valmy on July 15, 2019, 09:27:21 PM
New York City

After that Hollywood. Then National Parks
As a foreigner who visited your country, I would agree with NYC or the (South Western) National Parks, but Hollywood? Los Angeles is an ugly mess and there is nothing to see in Hollywood. Definitely not on the list of my suggestions for the US.