Where would you tell a first time visitor to your country to visit?

Started by Savonarola, July 15, 2019, 03:13:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: Zoupa on July 15, 2019, 08:10:52 PM
The best part of my 3-day weekend trip to Amsterdam was the day we got so bored and decided to go to Brussels.

That more or less happened to me when I went there :D
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Iormlund

Quote from: Zanza on July 15, 2019, 11:10:56 PM
Quote from: Valmy on July 15, 2019, 09:27:21 PM
New York City

After that Hollywood. Then National Parks
As a foreigner who visited your country, I would agree with NYC or the (South Western) National Parks, but Hollywood? Los Angeles is an ugly mess and there is nothing to see in Hollywood. Definitely not on the list of my suggestions for the US.

Yeah, I skipped LA altogether. About the only thing I would find interesting there is JPL. The parks, OTOH are absolutely gorgeous.

Also, I wish I would've stayed at NYC for a bit. Alas, no time.

As for Spain, I would say Andalucía, starting from Granada.

Tonitrus

Quote from: mongers on July 16, 2019, 06:38:35 AM
It would have to be London, you'll find something to your taste there.

Depending on remaining time, you'll probably be based there to, so maybe a couple of day trips or overnights to other picturesque cities, perhaps take the train to Edinburgh and enjoy the countryside on the way.

Oh and a day trip to Oxford, easy coaches, a fair few tourists but worth it for the museums.

Don't do the cheap day trip to Stonehenge/Salisbury and then on to Bath, too many tourists in the exact same small locations.

Alternatively why not do a train journey to Brighton to enjoy the reinvigorated English seaside, short distance from London.

When family and I visited the UK some 25 years ago now, I think we did it right...a few days in London, drive up around throughout Wales, and a train trip up through York to Edinburgh.

Meanwhile, I've been living over here about 9 months and haven't been down to visit London yet.  :sleep:

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on July 16, 2019, 08:58:05 AM
Quote from: Barrister on July 15, 2019, 09:13:57 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 15, 2019, 03:59:02 PM
This is going to be mostly capitals right?

Not for Canada. :)

I have no idea if you're going to say just one location in a country as big as Canada...

But definitely not one of the cities.  Not Toronto, not Vancouver.

Screw it - I'm going to say Dawson City, Yukon.  The Klondike.  :cool:

For Canada, I'd say a canoe trip to Algonquin Park.

Reasonably accessible, gives a taste of the wilderness that inspired some of the most iconic Canadian artists without excessive travel from civilization (that is, Toronto.  :D ).

Definitely Vancouver - and especially the local mountains, Deep Cove (especially a kayak up Indian Arm), and I would instruct them to definitely not do what BB did when he was here. Whistler is a must see.  The Chief in Squamish. A trip to the Okanagan valley.  Then up North along the coast then over to Tofino and then down to Victoria.  That is the first two weeks.  Quebec is another two weeks at least.  The Maritimes are another week or two.  Ontario has so many things to see it is hard to think about how one squeezes that trip into this one.  Best to skip the fly over provinces.  :P

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 16, 2019, 03:22:28 PM

Definitely Vancouver - and especially the local mountains, Deep Cove (especially a kayak up Indian Arm), and I would instruct them to definitely not do what BB did when he was here. Whistler is a must see.  The Chief in Squamish. A trip to the Okanagan valley.  Then up North along the coast then over to Tofino and then down to Victoria.  That is the first two weeks.  Quebec is another two weeks at least.  The Maritimes are another week or two.  Ontario has so many things to see it is hard to think about how one squeezes that trip into this one.  Best to skip the fly over provinces.  :P

:D

Actually - I visited Tofino some years ago; it was indeed awesome. Walks among the giant trees and soaking in a hot spring (we flew to a more remote park) were highlights, plus staying on a houseboat and seeing whales by day and phosphorescent plankton by night - well worth the trip.

All we saw of Vancouver that trip was the airport though.  :(
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Barrister

Quote from: Malthus on July 16, 2019, 03:33:07 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 16, 2019, 03:22:28 PM

:D

Actually - I visited Tofino some years ago; it was indeed awesome. Walks among the giant trees and soaking in a hot spring (we flew to a more remote park) were highlights, plus staying on a houseboat and seeing whales by day and phosphorescent plankton by night - well worth the trip.

All we saw of Vancouver that trip was the airport though.  :(

I was going to say that I think you could have an amazing visit to BC, as long as you didn't spend any more time in Vancouver than absolutely necessary. :P
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on July 16, 2019, 03:35:36 PM
I was going to say that I think you could have an amazing visit to BC, as long as you didn't spend any more time in Vancouver than absolutely necessary. :P

Or certainly the way you spend time in cities  :P

Savonarola

Quote from: The Larch on July 16, 2019, 06:32:13 AM
Quote from: Savonarola on July 15, 2019, 04:00:21 PM
Quote from: The Larch on July 15, 2019, 03:47:25 PM
Link, out of curiosity?

El Souvenir| Viajes

I was not expecting mexicans.  :lol:

No one expects Mexicans!  :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

Almost all the Spanish language podcasts I listen to are from RFI; usually an interviewer and a subject done in European Spanish.  I find the bull-session format this one uses a little more challenging; and the Mexican Spanish is helpful.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 17, 2019, 12:09:24 PM

I would have thought a guy who spends his time prosecuting petty criminals and addicts would have a grand time in Vancouver.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on July 17, 2019, 12:34:15 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 17, 2019, 12:09:24 PM

I would have thought a guy who spends his time prosecuting petty criminals and addicts would have a grand time in Vancouver.  :D

That is kind of the approach he took.  He basically walked along one of the least attractive and most industrial roads in Vancouver, for miles, to get to a particular store he wanted to visit. 

The Minsky Moment

AFAIK Vancouver's main claim to distinction is supplying the locale for the film Rumble in the Bronx
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Zoupa

Quote from: derspiess on July 16, 2019, 01:29:51 PM
Quote from: Zoupa on July 15, 2019, 08:10:52 PM
The best part of my 3-day weekend trip to Amsterdam was the day we got so bored and decided to go to Brussels.

That more or less happened to me when I went there :D

Can't really put my finger on it but I just didn't click with Amsterdam. Oh well.

derspiess

Brussels was just my secret agenda and I was able to convince 4 others in our group to go with me. We had seen plenty of Amsterdam by that point anyway.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Brain

Obviously Stockholm. It's beautiful, has history and museums (including the Vasa), and typical Swedish landscapes are just outside the city along with the lovely Stockholm archipelago.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

crazy canuck

Friend's from Australia have let us know they are going to be touring Canada for two months next year - so this thread could come in handy.  Need places to see in Quebec to suggest for them - so far we just have the must see locations of Montreal and Quebec City.