Where would you tell a first time visitor to your country to visit?

Started by Savonarola, July 15, 2019, 03:13:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dps

Maladict

Quote from: Zoupa on July 15, 2019, 08:10:52 PM
The best part of my 3-day weekend trip to Amsterdam was the day we got so bored and decided to go to Brussels.

:lol:

Syt

For Austria, Vienna seems like a logical choice, because that's where pretty much 70+% of tourist attractions are - museums, palaces etc. If that's your jam, Vienna it is.

That said, I don't think it gives an impression of "typical" Austria. Vienna is much more cosmopolitan than most of Austria, and the mountains are a ways off.

Salzburg would be an obvious alternative candidate with its picturesque old town, and the medieval fortress nesting on the hill. Also: mountains nearby. However, you can't make a step without stumbling over other tourists.

I think my recommendation would be a toss up between Innsbruck and Graz. Innsbruck has the mountain vista and is generally representative of the mountainous, more conservative parts of Austria. Graz is in Styria, "the green heart" of Austria - beautiful countryside with rolling hills, and a smaller, progressive town with a huge student presence considering its size, but still retaining its historical charm.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

Yeah, I have the same feeling about NYC. It's one of the world's great cities, but not really representative of America. For instance, they have a useful mass transit system. Madness.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

To be representative, a city would have to be bland and generic.  NYC would be my first pick.

dps

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 16, 2019, 12:59:24 AM
To be representative, a city would have to be bland and generic.  Des Moines would be my first pick.

FYP.

Richard Hakluyt

For England it would have to be London.........boring!......but it would be very strange to start anywhere else.

For USA I would nominate the road-trip. I really enjoyed mine (thanks katmai  :cool: ) and there is the space to do it properly.

Josquius

Edinburgh.
Pretty and touristy yet real and British.

If I meet another person who upon me saying I'm from the UK start talking about their trip to London I shall stick them.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on July 16, 2019, 05:08:06 AM
Edinburgh.
Pretty and touristy yet real and British.

If I meet another person who upon me saying I'm from the UK start talking about their trip to London I shall stick them.

Edinburgh as a first time in UK? I like it but I don't think that makes any sense...as a person who doesn't despise London. ;)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Larch

I'm not sure if I'd associate Edinburgh with Britishness.  :lol: :bowler:

mongers

It would have to be London, you'll find something to your taste there.

Depending on remaining time, you'll probably be based there to, so maybe a couple of day trips or overnights to other picturesque cities, perhaps take the train to Edinburgh and enjoy the countryside on the way.

Oh and a day trip to Oxford, easy coaches, a fair few tourists but worth it for the museums.

Don't do the cheap day trip to Stonehenge/Salisbury and then on to Bath, too many tourists in the exact same small locations.

Alternatively why not do a train journey to Brighton to enjoy the reinvigorated English seaside, short distance from London.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on July 15, 2019, 09:13:57 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 15, 2019, 03:59:02 PM
This is going to be mostly capitals right?

Not for Canada. :)

I have no idea if you're going to say just one location in a country as big as Canada...

But definitely not one of the cities.  Not Toronto, not Vancouver.

Screw it - I'm going to say Dawson City, Yukon.  The Klondike.  :cool:

It's a good choice.

We have different types of wilderness.

I think Saguenay Fjord is pretty suitable. Only Fjord outside of Norway, Whales, Forests, Poutine.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Camerus

Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal. I'd choose one of those based on the individual and, because Canada is so big, whereabouts in N America they were.

But I am a hard core city slicker.  :sleep:

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on July 15, 2019, 09:13:57 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 15, 2019, 03:59:02 PM
This is going to be mostly capitals right?

Not for Canada. :)

I have no idea if you're going to say just one location in a country as big as Canada...

But definitely not one of the cities.  Not Toronto, not Vancouver.

Screw it - I'm going to say Dawson City, Yukon.  The Klondike.  :cool:

For Canada, I'd say a canoe trip to Algonquin Park.

Reasonably accessible, gives a taste of the wilderness that inspired some of the most iconic Canadian artists without excessive travel from civilization (that is, Toronto.  :D ). 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius