News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Elon Musk: Always A Douche

Started by garbon, July 15, 2018, 07:01:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

I can't find the story right now but this all reminds me of just the other week I recall reading of a British millionaire moaning about the state of the US court system and how it's only because he's rich he was able to prove his innocence when a US tech firm came after him.
Anyone else saw it?
██████
██████
██████

Gups

You mean the Lynch/Hewlett-Packard/Autonomy saga?

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

grumbler

Quote from: Josquius on August 08, 2024, 10:09:57 AM
Quote from: Gups on August 08, 2024, 09:59:30 AMYou mean the Lynch/Hewlett-Packard/Autonomy saga?
That sounds right yeah.

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/c4ng14j5vqpo.amp

He didn't note that he'd been found guilty in a British court civil case over the same issues.   Waaaa!
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Gups

Quote from: grumbler on August 08, 2024, 11:39:19 AM
Quote from: Josquius on August 08, 2024, 10:09:57 AM
Quote from: Gups on August 08, 2024, 09:59:30 AMYou mean the Lynch/Hewlett-Packard/Autonomy saga?
That sounds right yeah.

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/c4ng14j5vqpo.amp

He didn't note that he'd been found guilty in a British court civil case over the same issues.   Waaaa!

Or that the CFO has been found guilty. Impossible to know the truth for a layperson, apparently the jurors were having real trouble staying awake.

Sheilbh

Doesn't sound a million miles away from the Jubilee fraud case. Juries struggle with very complex corporate fraud cases.
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

So this is a letter from the European Commissioner for Internal Market and Services, Thierry Breton to Musk/X:

To which Musk replied:

Just as a reminder that he was slightly more deferential to the Turkish government:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Also, the Musk/Trump interview on Twitter Spaces went about as well as the De Santis one ... and Musk blames DDOS attacks.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Darth Wagtaros

Probably hoping to get a cabinet position in a Trump administration. 
PDH!

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on August 13, 2024, 07:06:54 AMProbably hoping to get a cabinet position in a Trump administration. 

Drug czar.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Zanza

Quote from: Syt on August 13, 2024, 12:34:27 AMJust as a reminder that he was slightly more deferential to the Turkish government:

Deference to other right-wing strongmen seems to be in character. Trump also shows that.

Syt

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on August 13, 2024, 07:06:54 AMProbably hoping to get a cabinet position in a Trump administration. 
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 13, 2024, 08:39:30 AM

Drug czar.

Actually ...

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/live/2024/aug/12/trump-elon-musk-x-us-election-latest-updates?page=with:block-66bab9268f083e5b7b48443e#block-66bab9268f083e5b7b48443e

QuoteThe conversation took a chummy turn after Musk brought up establishing something called a "government efficiency commission".

The Tesla CEO is clearly among the ranks of those who think that Washington overspends and under-delivers, and has gently prodded Trump to do something about that, if re-elected.

"I think it would be great to just have a government efficiency commission that takes a look at these things and just ensures that the taxpayer money, the taxpayers' hard earned money, is spent in a good way. And I'd be happy to help out on such a commission," Musk said.

"I'd love it for you. You're the greatest cutter," Trump replied
, in an apparent reference to Musk's penchant for pushing out staff at companies he's taken over, including X.

Someone online called ex-Twitter "Xchan", and I love that :D
—Stephen Jay Gould

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Syt on August 13, 2024, 12:35:44 AMAlso, the Musk/Trump interview on Twitter Spaces went about as well as the De Santis one ... and Musk blames DDOS attacks.

Nope, nothing to do with firing or running off everybody who actually knew how to run the infrastructure.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Syt on August 13, 2024, 12:34:27 AMSo this is a letter from the European Commissioner for Internal Market and Services, Thierry Breton to Musk/X:
[...]
To which Musk replied:
[...]
The rest of the Commission have distanced themselves from Breton's letter today.

I had issues with the last time Breton did this. I think it does capture the use of Twitter in politics and journalism that he has now twice loudly announced he was pursuing Twitter - on Twitter - to far greater attention than the press releases investigating Meta or TikTok (and Musk's response probably helps that).

As I said last time - I think it might be a great way for a Commissioner to announce their new regulatory power to the world and get everyone's attention about it. I'm not convinced it makes for good enforcement (I can't imagine that Twitter won't be claiming bias).

Edit: Again I'd draw a bit of a contrast with the EU's most successful regulations with teeth - competition. This is broadly not how Vestager does stuff, but she's very effectvie.
Let's bomb Russia!

Sophie Scholl

Looks like Elon has been named along with JK Rowling in a suit filed by Imane Khelif the boxer who they repeatedly called a man. It couldn't have happened to two more deserving people. I wish Imane all the best and the largest award possible.   :cheers:

https://variety.com/2024/tv/news/jk-rowling-elon-musk-imane-khelif-lawsuit-1236105185/
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."