Trains, Banks and Public/Private Ownership - Prev.Predict UK Gen.Election Result

Started by mongers, June 04, 2017, 05:18:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What will be the size of Theresa May's majority in the Commons

150+ MPs
0 (0%)
101-149
0 (0%)
81-100
2 (5.9%)
51-80
4 (11.8%)
31-50
6 (17.6%)
16-30
5 (14.7%)
1-15
2 (5.9%)
Zero - (Even number of MPs)
1 (2.9%)
Minority conservative government
9 (26.5%)
Labour and other parties coalition
2 (5.9%)
Labour majority government
3 (8.8%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Gups

Quote from: Tyr on June 08, 2017, 03:43:49 AM
Quote from: Gups on June 08, 2017, 03:17:34 AM
Quote from: Tyr on June 08, 2017, 02:53:55 AM
This is the last election before the tory gerrymandering takes hold too. Some pretty stupid changes here:

http://boundaries.spatialanalysis.co.uk/2018/#/TFFTT/9/-1.9803/55.3533/

Fuhrer May's coronation it seems :(

It's not gerrymandering. We have boundary changes every 10 years decided on by an independent body whose decisions can (and often are) challenged judicially.

Your ignorance of how our constitution works is genuinely depressing. I can't be bothered to respond to most of them (e.g. the idea that the Tories can use civil servants to cost their manifesto plans or that MPs have to live in their constituencies) but I think this one is worth responding to.
That the civil service do the leg work for the government is a fact.
That MPs have to live in their constituencies was a rhetorical question. It's not exactly and important issue and it was a surprise to me that they would be running a Martian in a Earthling village as its the first time I've seen it and though it is obviously legal it is pretty bad.
Boundary reviews happen regularly. This one is however something quite different with the reduction in MP numbers and basing seat distribution not on inhabitants but on registered voters as of a point some years ago when several hundred thousand were removed from the electoral roll (I'm pretty sure I wasn't taken into account with this boundary review for instance). I'm not saying anything new here. The changes have came in for a lot of criticism.
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/labour-hit-hardest-boundary-changes-claims-of-gerrymandering_uk_57c3ea19e4b0ba22a4d48f47

A manifesto is not a Government document. Civil servants are not allowed to work on party documents whether that party is in Government or not.

I think you need to find out what gerrymandering is.

Tamas

Quote from: mongers on June 07, 2017, 06:29:12 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on June 07, 2017, 06:12:57 PM
Quote from: mongers on June 07, 2017, 08:06:19 AM

People born during its era have swallowed them hook, line and sinker.

Well, Tamas was born in commie land.  I can appreciate his aversion to Labour.

And it was Labour foreign secretary who moved to keep the US engaged in post-WW2 Europe and was one of the chief architects of NATO. IE standing up to Stalinism.

Just because the Tories bang on about national security and rapping themselves in the Union Jack, doesn't mean the Labour party of the last 60 years has anything to be embarrassed about. After all it's said patriotism is often the last refuge of a scoundrel.

That I guess is true for Labour in general but we are not exactly facing a return of Tony Blair now are we? Corbyn IS a one man collection of pretty much everything that's wrong with the far left. Sure, by accident he would bring in some good as well but not nearly enough to compensate for the disaster.

Just thinking Chavez did well in Venezuela should disqualify you from holding any office.

Josquius

Quote from: Gups on June 08, 2017, 05:04:42 AM
A manifesto is not a Government document. Civil servants are not allowed to work on party documents whether that party is in Government or not.

That's not how things work in practice though. The Tories were in government. Their daily work was running the country.
If they had a policy idea after the dissolution then the civil service would not help them.
If they had an idea prior to the election though then the civil service would help as part of their normal work. I'm not aware of any rule that says the manifesto for the current government cannot be based off continuing in the manner they had planned.
I suspect you might be thinking I'm seeing some sort of evil conspiracy here, its nothing of the sort, its just logical. It does however have the effect of giving the party currently in government an advantage when it comes to having a well rounded manifesto (not that the tories have used this advantage).

The boundary changes do tick the boxes for gerrymandering.
██████
██████
██████

Agelastus

Quote from: Gups on June 08, 2017, 05:04:42 AM
This is the last election before the tory gerrymandering takes hold too. Some pretty stupid changes here:

It's not gerrymandering. We have boundary changes every 10 years decided on by an independent body whose decisions can (and often are) challenged judicially.

Your ignorance of how our constitution works is genuinely depressing. I can't be bothered to respond to most of them (e.g. the idea that the Tories can use civil servants to cost their manifesto plans or that MPs have to live in their constituencies) but I think this one is worth responding to.
That MPs have to live in their constituencies was a rhetorical question. It's not exactly and important issue and it was a surprise to me that they would be running a Martian in a Earthling village as its the first time I've seen it and though it is obviously legal it is pretty bad.
Boundary reviews happen regularly. This one is however something quite different with the reduction in MP numbers and basing seat distribution not on inhabitants but on registered voters as of a point some years ago when several hundred thousand were removed from the electoral roll (I'm pretty sure I wasn't taken into account with this boundary review for instance). I'm not saying anything new here. The changes have came in for a lot of criticism.
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/labour-hit-hardest-boundary-changes-claims-of-gerrymandering_uk_57c3ea19e4b0ba22a4d48f47

I'm surprised that you're bothering to try to educate him, Gups; there's a reason why Tyr's one of only two posters on Languish I'd be unwilling to have a beer with (on the grounds that I might not be able to restrain myself from punching either of them.)

-------------------

As for voting, I've been out and voted, and dropped off a family member's postal vote. Anecdotal evidence only of course, but from the number of people I saw at the polling station I feel the turnout is going to be down from the last election - and given the time of the day I voted this may be bad for the Tories.

-------------------

I was contemplating on the way back that the difference in voting turnout may not just be a reflection of age, political awareness or activism etc. but also a result of our system and the ways we've been pushing to make it easier to vote.

Both voting on a Thursday and pushing postal votes would seem to me to have the effect of making it more likely/easier for the elderly to vote, rather than the working young. Even given that you can basically get a postal vote just for the sake of it these days rather than actually having to have a reason for needing one.

I live in what still amounts to a commuter town, after all, and the voters I did see were either OAPs or mothers (and I know my Butcher, who I visited after the vote, may be going to vote later, but that his wife had already gone down to vote.)

In other words the elderly vote more because both the motivated and the unmotivated have more opportunity/it is easier to do so.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Tamas

I fully expect to have the 3rd voting-related half-awake shocked disbelief in a course of a year, when I'll check the results tomorrow morning

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Agelastus on June 08, 2017, 05:32:46 AM
I'm surprised that you're bothering to try to educate him, Gups; there's a reason why Tyr's one of only two posters on Languish I'd be unwilling to have a beer with (on the grounds that I might not be able to restrain myself from punching either of them.)

Just don't bring up anime and I won't be obliged to say how shitty it is, shouldn't be *that* difficult. Geeze.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Agelastus

Quote from: Eddie Teach on June 08, 2017, 08:07:15 AM

Just don't bring up anime and I won't be obliged to say how shitty it is, shouldn't be *that* difficult. Geeze.

:P

Eddie, I'd be happy to have a beer with you if we ever came within a few miles of each other; no mention of anime guaranteed, I promise.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

mongers

Quote from: Agelastus on June 08, 2017, 08:18:39 AM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on June 08, 2017, 08:07:15 AM

Eddie, I'd be happy to have a beer with you if we ever came within a few miles of each other; no mention of anime guaranteed, I promise.

Yeah Eddie he was talking about me not you.  :cool:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

Why are you both excited about who Mensa Timmay is picking as his main squeeze?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Agelastus

Quote from: garbon on June 08, 2017, 08:43:43 AM
Why are you both excited about who Mensa Timmay is picking as his main squeeze?

"Anime Timmay" presumably, rather than "thread-starter Timmay" or "Article-poster Timmay"?
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

Eddie Teach

How many poll tracking websites do you have bookmarked?

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Barrister

That MPs have to live in their constituencies was a rhetorical question. It's not exactly an important issue and it was a surprise to me that they would be running a Martian in a Earthling village as its the first time I've seen it and though it is obviously legal it is pretty bad.

From your own article:

Quote"The party that will suffer most is the Labour party because such a high proportion of their current seats are well below the required quota, particularly in Wales, the north-east and parts of the M62 corridor," Lord Hayward told The Guardian.

Labour may be affected by redistribution.  That doesn't make it gerrymandering or unfair.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.