Trains, Banks and Public/Private Ownership - Prev.Predict UK Gen.Election Result

Started by mongers, June 04, 2017, 05:18:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What will be the size of Theresa May's majority in the Commons

150+ MPs
0 (0%)
101-149
0 (0%)
81-100
2 (5.9%)
51-80
4 (11.8%)
31-50
6 (17.6%)
16-30
5 (14.7%)
1-15
2 (5.9%)
Zero - (Even number of MPs)
1 (2.9%)
Minority conservative government
9 (26.5%)
Labour and other parties coalition
2 (5.9%)
Labour majority government
3 (8.8%)

Total Members Voted: 33

mongers

Well I don't buy that exit poll, I think some Tory voters now routinely lie to pollsters, I suspect conservatives have done 3-4% better than the poll suggests.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josquius

I bet the Northern Irish are feeling a bit smug right now as the entire country frantically googles about Northern Irish politics.
██████
██████
██████

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tamas on June 08, 2017, 04:07:48 PM
If this ends up being the result, will May resign? It would be an incredible slap in her face

I dunno; worse things happen in other countries, like having more overall votes and still losing.

OttoVonBismarck

I have a pretty dim view of British polling so I'll wait a few hours.

Agelastus

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on June 08, 2017, 04:26:29 PM
I have a pretty dim view of British polling so I'll wait a few hours.

As noted, the Exit poll hasn't been out by more than 20 seats for any one party for the last several elections (at least back to 2001.)

The only real way this poll could be out is if they've picked the wrong polling stations/constituencies to work from; I actually don't think this is very likely.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

alfred russel

David Cameron may have been a disaster as an actual leader, but he was a tremendous politician. May; not as much. Also, I've always thought the UK leans left, and the presence of a bunch of minor parties makes it hard to get a majority. They have also been in power for perhaps too long. Corbyn can only help them so much.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Josquius

Newcastle Central is first to declare.
2015 Labour won with 55%, 2017 they've won with 65%....promising.

Sunderland Central, a Brexit voting area, have also declared with +9% for Labour.

These are Labour safe areas so not representative but....hmm...

QuoteDavid Cameron may have been a disaster as an actual leader, but he was a tremendous politician. May; not as much. Also, I've always thought the UK leans left, and the presence of a bunch of minor parties makes it hard to get a majority. They have also been in power for perhaps too long. Corbyn can only help them so much.
:yes:
It's the problem with the British system, the left wing vote is very split whilst the Tories pretty much own the right, especially now UKIP are gone.
██████
██████
██████

Agelastus

Quote from: Tyr on June 08, 2017, 05:22:45 PM
Newcastle Central is first to declare.
2015 Labour won with 55%, 2017 they've won with 65%....promising.

Exit poll suggested this should have been 74%.

QuoteSunderland Central, a Brexit voting area, have also declared with +9% for Labour.

Can't find this declaration anywhere - Houghton and Sunderland has declared, allegedly with a 3.5% swing Labour to Tory (which in this case is a nonsense figure because the Tories weren't in second place last time.)

Where's the Sunderland Central Declaration available?
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

Josquius

I was looking on Wikipedia, had heard one sunderland had declared and didn't know which. Guess it was vandalism
██████
██████
██████

Agelastus

Quote from: Tyr on June 08, 2017, 05:38:37 PM
I was looking on Wikipedia, had heard one sunderland had declared and didn't know which. Guess it was vandalism

Sunderland Central now declared; Labour up 5000 roughly, Tories up 6000 - and UKIP only down 5000.

2.3% swing Labour to Conservative - again a fairly meaningless measure.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

Josquius

Seems to be what was expected, the Kippers going over to the Tories. Wonder if anyone has done a calculation based on combining the UKIP and Tory vote.
Pretty good increase in turnout overall.

I remain worried but hopeful
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

You guys should just use mass conscription like us and get done with the recount quickish. We'd be getting final results in Spain already. I want to go to bed  :P

Agelastus

Well, Tyr, from your "worried but hopeful" perspective it appears you may have some good news - so far the results have been following YouGov's NowCast very closely - and their prediction was 302 seats for the Tories.

https://yougov.co.uk/uk-general-election-2017/
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

Josquius

Labour did very well in Swindon. Really gave the Tories a run for their money.

I should sleep. Last night I couldn't sleep so I need it. I have work tomorrow. But channel 4s coverage is fun. They keep mocking the whole idea of this coverage and the uselessness of polls.
██████
██████
██████

jimmy olsen

Quote from: mongers on June 08, 2017, 12:42:26 PM
OK can we stop voting now, I note 26 have proffered an opinion and  someone else has posted in the 80-100, but no one over 100+.

So safe to say I'm the extreme outlier having gone for a 98 seat Tory majority.   :hmm:

That was me. I just looked at a couple of recent polls and went with them. Looking at the exit polls today, that seems to have been a mistake.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point