News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Battlestar Galactica

Started by Grallon, March 10, 2009, 07:28:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darth Wagtaros

I guess.  THe problem I have with the concept is that the changes are often so great as to make it unrecognizable from the original source material. 
Quote from: grumbler on July 23, 2009, 08:41:15 PM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on July 23, 2009, 08:34:09 PM
I dislike the use of the term reboot for remaking old tv series or movies.  I think they should call it a remake.
Well, a reboot is a bit different than a mere remake.  A reboot reconstructs all the stuff leading up to the show, so that the show's premise is fundamentally different.  The proposed reboot of Star Trek TOS, for instance, actually had the Enterprise (or, more accurately, Kirk, Spock, and McCoy) actually out there looking for something, as opposed to just exploring for exploration's sake.
PDH!

grumbler

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on July 23, 2009, 09:05:46 PM
I guess.  THe problem I have with the concept is that the changes are often so great as to make it unrecognizable from the original source material. 
Generally, those are called "adaptations."  Like Oh, Brother, Where art Thou was an adaptation of The Odyssey.  What reboot did you find so different as to be unrecognizable?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Josquius

I dislike the use of the term reboot for remaking old tv series or movies.  I think they should call it a remake.
Well, a reboot is a bit different than a mere remake.  A reboot reconstructs all the stuff leading up to the show, so that the show's premise is fundamentally different.  The proposed reboot of Star Trek TOS, for instance, actually had the Enterprise (or, more accurately, Kirk, Spock, and McCoy) actually out there looking for something, as opposed to just exploring for exploration's sake.
TOS reboot? :unsure: Explain.
██████
██████
██████

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Tyr on July 24, 2009, 11:32:31 AM
You know the movie that came out recently? 
PDH!

grumbler

There was a TOS reboot proposal in 2004 by Bruce Zabel and Joe Straczinski http://bztv.typepad.com/newsviews/files/ST2004Reboot.pdf

Looked pretty good, really.

The current movie is a prequel and we don't know yet if they will actually try to reboot the TV series or just do a series of prequel movies.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Josquius

Quote from: grumbler on July 24, 2009, 11:14:22 PM
There was a TOS reboot proposal in 2004 by Bruce Zabel and Joe Straczinski http://bztv.typepad.com/newsviews/files/ST2004Reboot.pdf

The current movie is a prequel and we don't know yet if they will actually try to reboot the TV series or just do a series of prequel movies.
Interesting stuff...More sci fi never goes amiss and anything that pisses off the hardcore trekkies is good to me. The comparisons to Ultimate Marvel make me shudder though, I hate that stuff.

My money is on another few films and perhaps a spin-off. I don't think they'll be making a series with that same Enterprise crew (though they haven't really got any stars in there).
I was in Toys R Us the other day though and noticed that they don't seem to have sold much of the merchandising for the film though. That doesn't bode well, not a totally destroyer but a big negative. I hope this was just that one shop.
██████
██████
██████

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: grumbler on July 24, 2009, 11:14:22 PM

That sounds like it could have been a feasible reboot as well. some of the concepts are there in the current reboot it looks like.
:p

Grallon

Apparently Universal Studio has ordered a re-imagining of Battlestar Galactica to be made for the silver screen.  Bryan Singer (Valkyrie, Superman) will direct -> ( http://scifiwire.com/2009/08/confirmed-bryan-singer-to.php#more ).  And it is to be based on the original series (the 70s one).

Even more catastrophic, Justin Timberlake is apparently going to be Starbuck ->

( http://justjared.buzznet.com/2009/08/14/bryan-singer-justin-timberlake-battlestar-galactica/ )

:bleeding: :bleeding: :bleeding: :bleeding:

The series is not a year out - they'll end up killing this story!  :thumbsdown:  <_<

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

BuddhaRhubarb

Without John Colicos or Lorne Greene there is no going back with BSG.
:p

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: Grallon on August 17, 2009, 11:36:40 AM
Even more catastrophic, Justin Timberlike is apparently going to be Starbuck ->

( http://justjared.buzznet.com/2009/08/14/bryan-singer-justin-timberlake-battlestar-galactica/ )

I don't see Starbuck mentioned there.  How do you know he's not going to be Commander Adama?

grumbler

I cannot imagine the anyone would be stupid enough to bankroll a movie that will directly challenge the loyalties of the people who switched to the "new BSG."  The money would be far better spent acquiring a different brand (like an early Honor Harrington or Mote in God's Eye) and making that into a good movie.

Bayraktar!

garbon

Quote from: grumbler on August 17, 2009, 03:43:19 PM
I cannot imagine the anyone would be stupid enough to bankroll a movie that will directly challenge the loyalties of the people who switched to the "new BSG."

Yeah, seems like a rather strange decision.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grallon

Quote from: DisturbedPervert link=topic=15.msg90507#msg90507

I don't see Starbuck mentioned there.  How do you know he's not going to be Commander Adama?

True - that is merely the rumor floating around the boards.  And as much as I like Timberlake for his hot looks - he can't act his way out of a bun fight.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Darth Wagtaros

I'd like to see a Honor Harrington movie, preferably a HBO series so it will get the time it needs.
PDH!

Neil

Quote from: Grallon on August 17, 2009, 11:36:40 AM
The series is not a year out - they'll end up killing this story!  :thumbsdown:  <_<
The series ended a miserable failure.

Any film where Starbuck is a man would be far, far superior.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.