The average millennial makes less than the average baby boomer did in 1975

Started by jimmy olsen, May 14, 2017, 10:22:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on May 15, 2017, 03:04:46 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 15, 2017, 01:03:38 PM
Darkies got free stuff.  To derniggerhater, that counts.

Oh, that's the "dog whistle" you were talking about.

Swing and a miss!

Stop dragging your ass across the carpet, Hunter.

derspiess

Quote from: Jacob on May 15, 2017, 03:27:08 PM
Quote from: derspiess on May 15, 2017, 03:03:35 PM
Explain how we're overcorrecting the mistake.

Explain how you're correcting the mistake.

By making sure my kids receive praise and awards for actual accomplishments, and not just for participating.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Berkut

Quote from: derspiess on May 15, 2017, 03:46:58 PM

By making sure my kids receive praise and awards for actual accomplishments, and not just for participating.
But that isn't different from what everyone else is doing.

This is a fake problem created to justify a feeling of smug superiority. It says a lot more about people preening about how hard ass they imagine themselves to be more than it does about kids.

This is just tailor made for the "Everything worth knowing I learned from Rush and Sean" crowd. It is right up there with the war on Christmas.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

sbr

Stagnant wages, student loan debt, soaring home prices have nothing to do with young people not buying homes, it is because they eat too much guacamole.

CountDeMoney

"Little boys can be doctors, little girls should be nurses."

derspiess

Quote from: Berkut on May 15, 2017, 03:49:05 PM

But that isn't different from what everyone else is doing.

This is a fake problem created to justify a feeling of smug superiority. It says a lot more about people preening about how hard ass they imagine themselves to be more than it does about kids.

This is just tailor made for the "Everything worth knowing I learned from Rush and Sean" crowd. It is right up there with the war on Christmas.

No.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 15, 2017, 04:20:37 PM

"Little boys can be doctors, little girls should be nurses."

Nursing is a noble profession.

Malthus

Quote from: sbr on May 15, 2017, 04:10:24 PM
Stagnant wages, student loan debt, soaring home prices have nothing to do with young people not buying homes, it is because they eat too much guacamole.

I don't agree with Gurner, but isn't this rather deliberately missing his point?  :lol:

What he's saying is something like 'young folks today spend money on frivolous and expensive luxuries, rather than going without - when I was young, I went without, and saved my cash to invest in real estate'.

In short, the same successful old person rant that has been ranted since antiquity.

The exact source of the luxurious spending - be it guacamole or coffee - isn't really the issue.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Savonarola

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 15, 2017, 01:19:47 PM
The Boomers can be blamed for a lot of things but they GenXers are responsible for universal participation trophies.

And you don't suffer from self esteem issues, right?  So you're welcome. 

:P

When I was in college (in the early 90s) there was some study out that American children were considerably more likely than their Japanese counterparts to say that they were "Good at math" while, of course, the Japanese scored much higher on standardized tests.  So I think that American over-inflated sense of self-worth is much older than participation trophies.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

dps

Quote from: Monoriu on May 15, 2017, 08:26:47 AM
In 1975, a worker who earned US$37k could buy a basket of goods.  Say, black and white TV, land line telephone, a 70s car, etc.

In 1975, I was making about $5 a week in the summer mowing lawns, and I could afford a color TV;  I don't think someone making $37K then would be limited to a black and white TV  And in 1975's America, you didn't own a phone--you leased it from AT&T.

I don't disagree with the point you're making, that the products we can buy today are better than the products we had available in 1975 (in general, there are some exceptions), but those weren't good examples.  And a higher quality of goods being available doesn't offset having a lower income and having to spend a higher percentage of what income you do have on basic necessities.

Monoriu

Quote from: dps on May 15, 2017, 06:07:45 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on May 15, 2017, 08:26:47 AM
In 1975, a worker who earned US$37k could buy a basket of goods.  Say, black and white TV, land line telephone, a 70s car, etc.

In 1975, I was making about $5 a week in the summer mowing lawns, and I could afford a color TV;  I don't think someone making $37K then would be limited to a black and white TV  And in 1975's America, you didn't own a phone--you leased it from AT&T.

I don't disagree with the point you're making, that the products we can buy today are better than the products we had available in 1975 (in general, there are some exceptions), but those weren't good examples.  And a higher quality of goods being available doesn't offset having a lower income and having to spend a higher percentage of what income you do have on basic necessities.

No argument from me about better examples.  But I'd like to also point out that people generally don't care how they compare with the previous generation about the quality of goods they are getting.  What they really care about is how they are doing compared with their peers.  They'll be fine if everybody is watching black and white TV.  If one guy is watching 4k TV, and the rest are still on black and white, then you've got a problem. 

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

derspiess