The average millennial makes less than the average baby boomer did in 1975

Started by jimmy olsen, May 14, 2017, 10:22:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

40 years of wasted progress. <_<

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2017/04/20/census-young-men-are-making-much-less-than-they-did-in-1975/?utm_term=.f6e54411195a#comments

QuoteThe average millennial worker makes less than the average baby boomer did in 1975

By Max Ehrenfreund 
April 20

The United States has enjoyed extraordinary economic progress over the past four decades, but average incomes for today's young workers are lower than they were in 1975.

Over the past four decades, young American workers saw their average incomes decline by 5.5 percent after adjusting for inflation, according to new figures published Wednesday by the U.S. Census Bureau. In 1975, workers aged 25 to 34 had a median personal income of $37,000 in modern dollar terms. In 2016, that number was down to $35,000.

Earnings have declined despite the fact that today's young people are better educated than 40 years ago. Thirty-seven percent of young people had a bachelor's degree last year, compared to 22.8 percent in 1975.

In part, experts say, the decline in average incomes results from new impediments to financial success that confront millennials, but that older Americans did not have to overcome. A more unequal economy presents fewer opportunities for younger workers. Young people today must compete with a well educated labor force, while young people in the past often had an advantage over older workers who were less qualified.

In another sense, the decline represents progress, because it is partly a result of striking gains among young women. Young women have joined the workforce in high numbers, but because they still earn less than young men, their entrance has driven down the average for young workers in general. In 1975, just under half of women aged 25 to 34 were working, and only 18.4 percent had at least a bachelor's degree. In 2016, about 70 percent of women between those ages were employed, and 40 percent had at least a bachelor's degree.

The typical income for a young woman in the labor force increased 28.5 percent since 1975, from $23,000 to $29,000 in 2015 dollars.

Meanwhile, young men's earnings have declined. For a man in the labor force aged 25 to 34, the typical income declined from $46,000 in 1975 to $40,000 last year.

Young men are also more educated — 34 percent now have a bachelor's degree, compared to 27.4 percent of their counterparts 40 years ago. Last year, roughly 5 in 6 were working and two-thirds had full-time, year-round jobs, figures that have changed little since 1975.

"It's hard to say that there's one experience for young adults that's capturing how they're all doing," said the Census's Jonathan Vespa, the author of the report.

The stagnant fortunes of young people comes amid broad overall gains for the American since 1975. Median personal income for all Americans has increased from about $23,000 in 1975 to $30,000 today in 2015 dollars. (Those figures include many retirees and students.)

Data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics on those with full-time, year-round work confirms the negative trend for the young. Typical weekly earnings for workers aged 25 to 34 in this category have declined 4 percent between 1979 and last year after adjusting for inflation, according to Arloc Sherman, a researcher at the liberal Center on Budget and Policy Priorities.

Gary Burtless, an economist at the nonpartisan Brookings Institution, suggested a few explanations for the disappointing data for young people. The level of education in the American labor force was rapidly increasing in 1975. While it was typical for older workers at that time not to have completed high school, a new generation — the baby boomers — had received what Americans now think of as a standard education, including a high-school diploma and increasingly a bachelor's degree.

As a result, young people could claim more of the fruits of the American economy then. "Compared to older workers, back then, they at least had a couple of very strong advantages," Burtless said. "Those advantages are smaller for young adults today."

At the same time, he said, inequality of income has increased in general in the American economy, meaning that poorer workers — many of whom are younger — have not enjoyed the same progress as more affluent workers, who tend to be older.

"It's a big problem, even for people with college credentials," he said. "Those less educated people have fared quite miserably."
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

HVC

It's not all bad news. Cost of living has gone way up too... oh wait.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Monoriu

I don't understand the wasted progress part. 

In 1975, a worker who earned US$37k could buy a basket of goods.  Say, black and white TV, land line telephone, a 70s car, etc.

In 2016, a worker who earned US$35k could buy another basket of goods.  Say, iphone, laptop, internet connection, etc. 

It seems to me that a 2016 worker would derive more happiness from the 2016 basket of goods than the 1975 basket of goods.  Despite the apparent fall in income.  So that's progress.  Right?  :unsure:

grumbler

Quote from: HVC on May 14, 2017, 10:56:15 PM
It's not all bad news. Cost of living has gone way up too... oh wait.

Cost of living has not "gone way up" in 2015 dollars.

Quality of many goods certainly has (while others have arguably gone down) but that cannot be captured in studies like this.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

alfred russel

Quote from: Monoriu on May 15, 2017, 08:26:47 AM
I don't understand the wasted progress part. 

In 1975, a worker who earned US$37k could buy a basket of goods.  Say, black and white TV, land line telephone, a 70s car, etc.

In 2016, a worker who earned US$35k could buy another basket of goods.  Say, iphone, laptop, internet connection, etc. 

It seems to me that a 2016 worker would derive more happiness from the 2016 basket of goods than the 1975 basket of goods.  Despite the apparent fall in income.  So that's progress.  Right?  :unsure:

Yeah--I was going to post an anti Tim rant, but thought it would be too mean. New year, new me, or something.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

derspiess

They may not make as much money, but at least they have that shelf full of participation trophies & medals to gaze upon.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on May 15, 2017, 11:14:20 AM
They may not make as much money, but at least they have that shelf full of participation trophies & medals to gaze upon.

Are those really given to anybody but the real little kids? I don't think adults really care about stuff they got when they were six.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Habbaku

Someone's jealous.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on May 15, 2017, 11:32:07 AM

Are those really given to anybody but the real little kids? I don't think adults really care about stuff they got when they were six.

Dude, you need to translate derdogwhistles.

HVC

Hey it was you Gen - Xers and Boomers giving away those prizes.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Zanza

Would be interesting to see what share of national income goes to the age group 25-34 now and in 1975 (normalized with their current share of the entire population compared to 1975).