The average millennial makes less than the average baby boomer did in 1975

Started by jimmy olsen, May 14, 2017, 10:22:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: HVC on May 15, 2017, 12:07:09 PM
Quote from: derspiess on May 15, 2017, 11:14:20 AM
They may not make as much money, but at least they have that shelf full of participation trophies & medals to gaze upon.

Hey it was you Gen - Xers and Boomers giving away those prizes.

Not me.  I and other parents my age are correcting that mistake. 

I think my family dodged a couple bullets by skipping the Boomer and Millennial generations.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

The Boomers were the parents when I was a kid and I do not recall any participation awards after I was a real little kid.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

Quote from: derspiess on May 15, 2017, 12:55:48 PM

I think my family dodged a couple bullets by skipping the Boomer and Millennial generations.

Over-correcting the mistake IMO.  The whole self-congratulatory style is a poor trade for the bullets you missed.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on May 15, 2017, 01:00:46 PM
The Boomers were the parents when I was a kid and I do not recall any participation awards after I was a real little kid.

Spicey's family invented the fake news about the ubiquity of participation awards so they could justify their self-satisfaction.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Grey Fox

The Boomers can be blamed for a lot of things but they GenXers are responsible for universal participation trophies.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 15, 2017, 01:19:47 PM
The Boomers can be blamed for a lot of things but they GenXers are responsible for universal participation trophies.

You mean the Latchkey Kids that grew up with self-obsessed "Greed is Good" careerist parents that used them as pawns in Kramer v Kramer divorces?  Shocked there would be overcompensation.

Grey Fox

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 15, 2017, 01:42:03 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on May 15, 2017, 01:19:47 PM

You mean the Latchkey Kids that grew up with self-obsessed "Greed is Good" careerist parents that used them as pawns in Kramer v Kramer divorces?  Shocked there would be overcompensation.

When you are right, you are right.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Jacob

Quote from: grumbler on May 15, 2017, 01:03:03 PM
Over-correcting the mistake IMO.  The whole self-congratulatory style is a poor trade for the bullets you missed.

Yeah no kidding. I mean I thought I owned self-congratulatory smugness here on Languish, what with the Canadian + Danish + Leftist triple whammy, but Spicy has pretty much surpassed me at this point.

We should get him a trophy or something....

Valmy

Damn I was just defending my generations' parents I didn't mean to start the dogpile :lol:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on May 15, 2017, 02:03:38 PM
Damn I was just defending my generations' parents I didn't mean to start the dogpile :lol:

Here, have some Adderall.

derspiess

Quote from: grumbler on May 15, 2017, 01:03:03 PM
Quote from: derspiess on May 15, 2017, 12:55:48 PM

Explain how we're overcorrecting the mistake.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 15, 2017, 01:03:38 PM
Darkies got free stuff.  To derniggerhater, that counts.

Oh, that's the "dog whistle" you were talking about.

Swing and a miss!

Jacob