The average millennial makes less than the average baby boomer did in 1975

Started by jimmy olsen, May 14, 2017, 10:22:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

CountDeMoney

Ed watches all his Girls Gone Wild videos backwards, so it looks like the girls learn a valuable lesson.

[spoiler]Thank you, Dave Atell.[/spoiler]

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 15, 2017, 10:57:07 PM
Ed watches all his Girls Gone Wild videos backwards, so it looks like the girls learn a valuable lesson.

[spoiler]Thank you, Dave Atell.[/spoiler]

Yeah.  :lol:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Grey Fox

Quote from: Savonarola on May 15, 2017, 04:58:07 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on May 15, 2017, 01:19:47 PM
The Boomers can be blamed for a lot of things but they GenXers are responsible for universal participation trophies.

And you don't suffer from self esteem issues, right?  So you're welcome. 

:P

When I was in college (in the early 90s) there was some study out that American children were considerably more likely than their Japanese counterparts to say that they were "Good at math" while, of course, the Japanese scored much higher on standardized tests.  So I think that American over-inflated sense of self-worth is much older than participation trophies.

Indeed, my parents are boomers.  ;)
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

The Japanese economy then collapsed and was then weighed down by government policies at odds with reality. I guess self esteem > standardized test scores.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on May 16, 2017, 10:49:09 AM
The Japanese economy then collapsed and was then weighed down by government policies at odds with reality. I guess self esteem > standardized test scores.

Comparing shame-based cultures with pride-base cultures is going to give these subjective results no matter what is objectively true.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Savonarola

Quote from: Valmy on May 16, 2017, 10:49:09 AM

Take that nerds!  Hubris FTW!
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Valmy

False confidence can take you far Sav. Look at our President. But then Abe is sort buffoonish as well but I think we have taken it to a whole new level.

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Savonarola

Quote from: Valmy on May 16, 2017, 01:34:20 PM
False confidence can take you far Sav. Look at our President. But then Abe is sort buffoonish as well but I think we have taken it to a whole new level.

Trump may have benefited from getting participation trophies and being told that "Everyone is a winner."  He seems to believe that everyone else is a loser and behaves accordingly.  Once again the Gen-Xers were right all along.

;)

Thinking it over, though, in the light of the Trump presidency, the problem might be the opposite of participation trophies.  There have been cases of parents fighting at little league games and Geno Auriemma (head coach of UConn's women's basketball) just had a long complaint about selfish student athletes.  That could be just a few isolated examples, and a coach longing for the good old days; if not, though it would point to what's being taught is the opposite message of what youth athletics is supposed to teach.  Rather than the value of sportsmanship and teamwork, winning takes precedence over everything and the individual accomplishment is all that matters.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

CountDeMoney

Go search for the 60 Minutes piece on how the latest jock parent craze has been holding their kids back from entering Kindergarten or 1st grade in order to give them an athletic advantage over classmates once they hit puberty a year earlier. 

Parents have been out of the "participation trophy" biz for a while.  But Dumbfuckistanis like to perpetuate it, all part of the "Welfare Queen" theme.

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 17, 2017, 02:34:31 PM
Go search for the 60 Minutes piece on how the latest jock parent craze has been holding their kids back from entering Kindergarten or 1st grade in order to give them an athletic advantage over classmates once they hit puberty a year earlier. 

Parents have been out of the "participation trophy" biz for a while.  But Dumbfuckistanis like to perpetuate it, all part of the "Welfare Queen" theme.

Now that is hilarious. Also explains those freakish 6'5 freshman linemen in hi school football.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 17, 2017, 07:33:38 PM
Now that is hilarious. Also explains those freakish 6'5 freshman linemen in hi school football.

It's a real thing, especially in the more affluent classes.  My brother-in-law's brother did it.  Total jockhead.  I hope they go all Marinovich on him.

Here it is:  "Redshirting"
https://youtu.be/HtEsw49o4RY

Bigger, stronger, faster: How redshirting is changing H.S. sports
http://www.nj.com/sports/index.ssf/2015/09/how_redshirting_is_changing_hs_sports.html

The soccercunt in the first minutes of the 60 Minutes piece just makes you want to pass out more abortions.

Ed Anger

CountDeMoney

Yeah, for all the bitching and moaning about "participation trophies" and all that other touchy-feely bullshit, that fucking generation has come and gone for a while now, just used as code for "whaaa darkies got free shit and I didn't" by derdogwhistlers. 
Now parenting is all knife fights and the pool cue scene from The Dark Knight. TRYOUTS

Ed Anger

Girls soccer games are blood sports. Not a joke. The blood starts in the stands.